Do the plants grow more during veg or flower. Question about getting more fem plants.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kokoloko, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I was planning on growing 5 plants in a 1.2m x 1m tent. 11-15 litre pots. less plants, bigger plants plan.

Then I realized subcool and mandala seeds dont do fem'd seeds like alot of great breeders.

Instead of going with the 5 pots in a 1.2m x 1m tent, should I put in 10 or 15, so I can at least get 5 fem'd seeds. and then get rid of the males and herms once its time to flower. Or will having more plants during veg make them grow less? Shall I put them in smaller pots and then transfer them into bigger pots when its time to flower.

so starting off with 15, getting 5 fem'd (fingers crossed) and then putting them into the bigger pots to get the better yield? Or is the veg period the period it grows the most and needs to be in the bigger pots with less plants?

basically will i get the same size plants if i veg 10-15 to when i veg 5 plants?

Hope that makes sense to what Im trying to do lol.
    Thanks guys

2. your best bet is, veg 15 plants for 2 weeks, then flip to 12/12 until they show sex. weed out the males, pick your best 5 and put them back into veg until they're roughly a 1/3rd the size you want them to end up and flower again :)

good method i find, but i like fems as i dont have to do this :)

3. Thanks mate. Is that 2 weeks from seed or into veg?
    And how long does it take to normally show sex?

Thanks

4. No offense to big jay but I would say that his method would stress the plant and you would lose valuable time. IMHO you are better off waiting till they show their sex then clone the females. You should only have about a month of wait.
    P.S. Breeders like sub and mandala go thru a lot of work to make sure their gear does not hermi. And I've actually found mandala seeds have a higher than normal instance of female plants. I say that from personal experience.

5. You can veg them for as long as you want, but if your planning on vegging them after they have shown sex, 2 weeks from when they sprout should be enough.

Takes roughly 14 days into 12/12 to show sex, and this will give you enough time to find the males, pick your best 5 females ans then throw them back into veg them until you have them the size you want :) then reflower. This way they are sexually mature aswell.

Its a tedious process, but this way you can take your 15 seeds, and turn them into your best 5 :)

If you want to save this hassle next time round, you should consider setting up a mother cab for a plant. Veg it to a good size whilst your others flower and take clones off her when you want another grow :) this way you know you have females and don't have to deal with seeds :) if I had the extra space I'd be doing this :D some t5s will do the job nicely for a mother.

Good luck :wave:

6. Im only planning on growing 1 cycle. i wont be able to grow again for awhile so have to get the most out of it now. And Ive only got 4 months :(

Thanks guys, both different advice, badass are you saying i can grow 15 plants like 5?
    and big jay are you saying they are better doing this by making the plants more sexually mature like badass says it stresses the plants?

Thanks again

7. well you can veg 15 plants like you would 5, but youll run outta room QUICK in a 1.2 x 1m tent.

i only advised veg, flower for sex then reveg cos it seemed suitable for your situation. there is a chance of herms, but i advised for 15 seeds :) ideally you would take a clone and flower the clone to find sex, but doing this with 15 plants is chore and wil require longer veg time.

if you want, as you have a 50/50 chance for male/female, dont do all 15 seeds, take maybe 8, and veg them until they show sex naturally (around the 5-6 week mark in veg, sometimes sooner) and then weed out the males. but your grow space is limited :( 15 plants in there will get crowded as youll have to transplant to bigger pots as they'll become rootbound.

i would say limit how many plants ya do, and veg for long. take 6-8 seeds and then veg em out for 5-6 weeks for sex and see what sex they are :) then maybe pick your best 4 (keeps it nice and even and the 5th plant would cause a crowd) and go from there :)

its hard in a situation like this as your grow space is small :( i hope other blades can chime in with ideas :)