Do Schools Kill Creativity?

Discussion in 'General' started by Heinous Anus, Jan 12, 2010.

1. #1 Heinous Anus, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
    I'm sure a lot of you have seen this video before. I just searched for this video on the forums, but there were no open discussions about it.

I'm off for the day, so I decided to get baked.

I saw this before about a year and a half ago, also baked, so I didn't remember too much of it. I thought most of what he said to be true, but I also appreciate the rigid structure of some of the classes I had in the past.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY]YouTube - Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?[/ame]

Edit - I purposely didn't explain much of the video. Its 20 minutes long, and he does a fantastic job supporting most of his topics. I'm in no way generalizing education. Just wanted to know what everyone else thought. :)

2. if it wasn't for schools then we would perhaps be too stupid to be creative what so ever ;)

3. Some do.

But some are taking a new approach in my state. When I graduated highschol there were going into small schools. Splitting a big school into 3. Part of this is thanks for extra funding. From what I've seen and heard its much different that your typical highschool and kids can learn more in a more creative and productive way.

Generalizations are dangerous, even this one ;)

4. Funny you posted this. My wife and I are homeschooling our kids and this video had a big influence on that decision.

I was wondering if there are any other home schooling parents on this board.

5. Very true. Oh yea, I'm not condemning education or schooling at all. I love being able to read and write, solve basic math problems, and have skills that get me a long through most of my days.

But, there some people out there that learn far better with a more creative/non traditional approach to their education.

6. yeah you do have a good point, i wonder what the world would be like if everyone was home schooled? probably a better place.

7. Well, not even everyone being home-schooled. That would just cause everyone to have some crazy social problems next. :p

But, I just believe we should put the same emphasis on arts everyday as if we do with math.

8. Mine sure does,

we dont have hardly any arts program,
    we can take a "art" class, but its basically just sitting in the classroom doing nothing,

i cant use my musical talents at all in my school, ive been playing bass for 6 years now, and i cant use those skills at all, and ill say it, im fucking stupid, im in a basic math course, i cant do bio to well, im not really book smart, and for those reasons, ill probably wont be able to get into college or university,

but i dont want to do anything that concerns anything that they teach me in school, i want to do graphic design, maybe recording artists,

i'm generally pretty smart(street smarts), but just not in the way our schools think, i can lay down a good bass line, i can draw, i love to paint....but those talents are basically useless in highschool, and will probably get me no where in life...because i wont have the grades to get into a good college. I will probably be stuck in some dead end job hating every moment of it, not doing what i love to do

9. I believe schools are a highly valuable -resource- but definitely are not the ultimate arbiter of success. Schools are a great introduction to the world for children in that they help to begin mould a worldly perspective, but all too often too much emphasis is placed upon school. People make it seem as if school isn't your thing, you're sunk. "I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker." -SK

In this way I think the monotony of going to class every day and staring at a blackboard or computer screen while being taught compiled concepts and axioms brought to light by others can be seen to muffle the creative process as real interests cannot always be explored in being force fed the ideas of others. However, this is where interest is often born.