Do plants hear?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by DanGro420, May 21, 2016.

Tags:
?

Do you play music for your girls?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. I've heard that playing music for your plants can be good for them. The vibrations affect them. Here's a Washington Post article. Anyone play music for your plants. I've got bluegrass on right now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've always wondered this, and interested to hear people's opinions. I personally believe they hear everything around them

• Like Like x 2
  3. i just stuck a radio in the closet playing an old bluegrass cd. I wish I had some tapes. couldnt hurt. maybe the vibrations increase resin production. who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Certainly plants are effected by sound. As far as "hearing", they dont have a central processing brain so i doubt they hear it as we do but they feel it.

A simple definition of life would be the ability to respond to stimuli/environment.

You can check out a product and the research behind a product called Sonic Bloom. Essentially the creator of the system found that sounds (particularly high pitch sounds like bird and insect range) stimulated plants to open pores and absorb nutrients (maybe light as well?).

Original Sonic Bloom | Home Garden Kit | Greenhouse Kit | Organic Nutrients | Food | Plants | Farms

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Very interesting guys. I love the discussion. Not that plants "hear" but that when attacked by pests they sense the vibrations and respond. If the frequency was correct I think maybe the plant would react in some way. Kind of like when you put in the dark a few days during flower. No light. When you pull the plant back out it's a little different.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't know if they hear, I just hope they don't start talking.

Or do I?

dilligaf

7. Eat an edible in the morning when you get up first thing, wait a bit and then talk to your plants. They WILL talk back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #10 waktoo, May 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
    Unless you've used this product and have experienced its supposed beneficial effects, PLEASE do not promote it...

It's snake oil. I've tried it. It's gimmickry designed to generate money for the "creators" foliar applied micro-nutrient supplement. Pffffft...

If foliar nutrient application is your gig, utilize kelp tea.

Botanical science does not support this gimmickry. Stomatal response is dictated by temperature and humidity, not sound frequency...

9. I wasnt promoting

• Like Like x 1
  10. Then why supply a link to the website selling the product? :poke:

11. I just recall from long ago that this company existed, i also thought i recalled some info on plants responding to sound. No need to buy their product, one could make the sonic stimulator at home cheaply.

12. Slightly off topic but I heard the smell of cut grass is like a plant warning call. Ok. Call to who?