Do Ozone generators actually work

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Johny Apple DWC, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Curious if I could effectively control odor in both my flower and grow area with one ozone generator. The rooms sit next to each other and are venting through to each other. Total space of both rooms is 10x20x10. If ozone is effective what size would I need ? Anyone running one they like ?

2. Well as far as a large grow goes I dunno . But I have been using the one I got for my grow in a room where our puppy sleeps . Not while shes in there and not for more than 20 mins at a time but it kills the smell for sure ! It really works ! It was just over a hundred bucks . It can do up to 5000 Square feet . My babies don't really smell yet . But when they do , I'm ready !

3. Ironhide what model did you get? I am thinking about getting one for my grow closet. Little worried about killing myself though.

4. I got the OZN-1 . The ozone is suppose to die in 30 mins . Thats why they tell you to run a timer .20 on 40 off . I run 20 on 4 times a day . As the grow goes I may have to increase this . But there is a light bulb in there . You only get so many on/offs ! I also have run it in a room after vaccuming . It kills any smells ! Very cool . I have thought of putting in my car for a few . for a fresh smell .

5. First let me say I use a residential ozone generator in my house and it does help with grow odor but I would not put it IN my grow room. From a training manual used by the INSTITUTE OF INSPECTION CLEANING AND RESTORATION. "Ozone is the second strongest oxidizing agent known"....... is highly destructive to live plants and natural rubber".
    Ironhide is spot on......It will dissipate in 15-45 minutes depending on ventilation. You damn sure don't want to leave small animals in the room as it is heavier than air and will be more toxic in smaller doses to them. You will know if you are sensitive to or have been exposed to dangerous levels of ozone, itchy watery eyes, shortness of breathe, etc.

I'm not trying to be the prophet of doom as thousands of people use these everyday w/o problems. The residential units don't generally generate enough ozone to harm you, but concentrated in an enclosed grow space could affect your plants and you if not ventilated properly. If you do use one, the proper use is to place it as high as possible and gently circulate the air with a fan.

Lastly, and my main reason for posting........ DO NOT use an industrial/commercial ozone generator in your home (people have wanted to borrow mine for their house). I have seen one of these shoebox size units in a 40x40 storage area seriously affect a co-worker.

6. Hmmm... Lol, well I guess it's time to buy a few more carbon filters. Actually anyone know of a good scrubber that would work for my space.

7. The dangers with using enough ozone for are HUGE and well known.

The BEST way is to avoid them and use CF's but if you must use one(and they can be home made very easy and cheap)especially one which makes allot of ozone this is how you do it IMHO.

You build a good sized mixing box and house the ozone producer(neon transformer,glass plates,copper wires=homemade or whatever)inside to mix and convert odors(in an attic) before ducting this toxic substance somewhere outside high as possible where no living things are.

Remember,not only is this stuff very toxic but as said it will oxidize most metal away.

I say AVOID it myself.that's why i use a CF.

You will need about 100lbs of AC in a CF to scrub 2000 sq ft.;)