Do older plants have more THC

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Redtr4, Feb 29, 2012.

1. So I was reading my old school book and it said that the longer you leave in veg the stronger the THC level will get when you flower. Has this been proven, disproved? Remember that mother is the age not the clone, I think this is length of time from seed to flower not clone to flower since the clone could be from a 2+ year old plant. If so then it would make sense to maintain a mother for many years like I have seen in some threads.

The switching your mother out all the time vs just running with a mother for years (as long as shes healthy) is really bugging me. Any concrete advice would be helpful.

I know this might be an advanced topic and I'll post there also but this I think goes to your planning and set up from the start.

Thanks

2. No most of the THC well the vast majority of it happens in Flowering. THC levels are locked to a certain amount as well. Its genetically predetermined. So say that strain can only do 20% THC thats all it will ever do. Getting it there though is what your attempting to do in a proper grow. You can't go beyond the THC levels that the plant is genetically made up to provide so if its 15% thats all it ever will at a maximum.

The mother plants that people keep for years are for clones mostly.

The information that I just typed was from Cannabis Grow Bible.

3. cool thanks rhapsodyrcks!

Its funny in that book there talking about smoking leaves and shit. Back then you smoked everything because the quality was poor. Main stream was mexican pressed garbage (More seeds than smoke) but occasionally you get some Maui Waui, Tie stick or Acapulco gold.

4. Yea i read that to. For myself if I am smoking leaves which I do its just the trim or anything sugary looking. All the fan leaves I toss or any leaf that looks like its dying. Thats unless I plan on making some bubble hash which takes a fair amount of trimmings and I just shopping bag the trim and freeze it till I have a bunch built up.

i dont ever smoke the stem though. I know some people who vaporizer it or grind those up to. They give me intense headaches the next day. I will wake up like I have a hang over.

I didnt smoke 20 years ago I was a only 10 years old lol but I hear varying accounts of the past. I hear that the stuff rocked back then and then some guys say it sucks.

How is the quality today since its legal so many places and so many seed companies now? How it today with general information? In my mind I think the internet has been the biggest boom for anyone growing. The entirety of the worlds knowledge on that among things all at our finger tips.

Now that Cannabis is primetime I believe the future will be to Genetically Manipulate it in a lab. Right now we do but cross breeding is primitive compared to that. Imagine 20 years from now perfect cannabis plants every time that are like 40% THC!!!! Its bound to happen. Its how we went from 10 bushels of corn per acre to over 100 in less then 60 years.

5. Ah, a throwback to my good ol' days. Yeah, when I was in high school in the 70s it was really exciting if you bought some weed and it actually had some bud in it, as opposed to leaves and seeds and stems. "Mexican" was actually a step up from the everyday where I was from, there was some "domestic" crap grown in corn fields that was one rung below. Acapulco Gold and Panama Red were the good stuff but rare, thai stick was the awesome stuff but extremely rare, and maui wowi was only a legend...

But rhapsody is correct, vegging longer won't increase potency but it will increase how much bud you get at that potency level.

6. Dude I remember I think it was ditch weed....ugh I think thats were the song smoke two joints came from because if you were smoking that crap like we all did back then you had to smoke two joints before breakfast, lunch, dinner and any other chance you had to maintain the buzz.
    I do remember some stuff I got about 1980 that I called vibration weed. It was the coolest I ever tried back then. it literally made you feel like you were vibrating and it was definitely a couch lock type.