Do not let Steven harper win the next Canadian election

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Ganja4Life18, Apr 13, 2011.

1. #1 Ganja4Life18, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
    According to online research on Steven harpers campain and news from weed partys across Canada. If Steven harper wins the election he will put harder sentences on weed all Canadian tokers 18 and over do not vote for him. also rumor has it the NDP r pro weed legalization but I can't conferm it yet. If someone could verify the NDP thing it would be appreciated thanx:smoke:

2. i think i saw that NDP is pro weed in there platform? but really the only ones i trust is the green party, plus they have alot of good ideas dont know why there not popular.

3. Yeah he wants to make it mandatory minimum jail time for marijuana charges. He also wants to spend 13 billion dollars to build more jails and a whole lot of other shit, that's why they are having this election.

4. I think NDP WAS pro-weed, until like 2009. I dunno about now =/

Only party open about this for now is Green Party I think.

5. The green party has good ideas yes but they won't get the popular vote which is sad but that means we have to trust the next best party the NDP

6. Mandatory 12-18 months for edibles I believe LOL (but seriously thas scary)

7. Yea, these marijuana laws in Canada I guarantee you WILL be absurd if Harper stays in power. I think that we as a people need to band together and vote him out. I honestly feel like any other gov't is better than Harper at the moment. We need a change and atleast Jack Layton and the NDP can bring us atleast a minimum semblance of change. I think that its time that we let someone else take lead and see what they can do, as well as see how many promises they end up breaking (which I guarantee you they will :p).

Its time for change eNDProhibition!

8. #8 Frax, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
    Anyone who would vote NDP only for the hope of legalization obviously shouldn't be voting in the first place. It's very immature to base your vote on a single issue. The NDP will never win a federal election. They will forever remain in the position that is most beneficial for Canada, as the opposition. The Green party are very much the same; having representatives in the House of Commons allows them to push their political agenda as the opposition, but having either the NDP or Green party in power would destroy the Canadian economy.

Do you guys really forget so soon what an NDP Bob Rae government in Ontario did?

Also, bill S-10 was killed. It may be reintroduced, but I don't see it passing after failing twice. I don't agree with the entire Conservative platform, but it can't be denied that Stephen Harper has done very well for Canada with the limited power of a minority government. We were not hit nearly as hard by the recession as the States, unemployment is low, taxes have been lowered, and more tax breaks have been promised. Canada is close to having a balanced budget again, after the previous Liberal leaders ran a huge deficit and increased taxes on us. I'm interested to see what he can do with a majority.

I'm also afraid that we may end up with another minority government with the way this election is taking shape. With current projections, a Liberal majority is doubtful, so we will likely be holding another election in 2 years or so if there is not a Conservative majority this time around. Elections are one of the single biggest wastes of taxpayer money, I'd rather that money be used elsewhere.

This is one of the worst elections in terms of candidates in recent memory. It's choosing between two bad choices. I'd like to think that I'm choosing the lesser of evils by voting Conservative, but time will tell.

I'm not trying to tell you how to vote, but it does annoy me when people do not do their research before posting something. Voting is one of the most important rights that we have with a democracy, let's not waste it. I'm glad to see interest in voting, hopefully we can get more than half of the country to get out and hit the polls this time around and have a government that truly represents the Canadian population.

If anyone is wondering, I have no particular allegiance to any party, but I do my research and make an informed decision. I encourage you to do the same.

To answer your question, the NDP were pro-legalization in the past 20 years or so, as were the Liberals during the 90s. As of this election, neither are in full support of legalization.

9. Okay i'm not playing devil's advocate here, im going to try to be neutral on this. Stephen Harper is going to be tougher on drug crimes than any other candidate in the election. However, Ignattief is going to be alot softer on criminals who actually commit violent crimes. do the math.

10. Honestly, I dont like the fact that anyone I talk to who is leaning towards conservative feel that ANYONE else in power would absolutely buttfuck Canada. Yes, it would probably happen with the Liberals. But we also have to look at other issues, such as the Harper rideing being in contempt of parliament because of them refusing to disclose what that 50$ Million taxpayers dollars they covered up as G8 spending and now refuse to release what they actually spent it on. Dont get me wrong, Harper has done this country much good but it looks like its gotten to the point where.....the corps and all "Behind the scenes" people have taken a hold of Harper and get him to pass whatever the hell he wants, dont deny that it doesnt happen...because it does...it will and it still IS happening. Also, dont forget the HUMUNGOUS internet issue as well, I am pretty sure if Harper is kept in parliament most Canadians will be seeing a hike in internet bills, just like we have seen a rising in basically every damn thing (such as power bills).

Honestly, I cannot give my vote to Harper solely on the fact that he remains to refuse to be transparent in so many governmental issues. And honestly I AM glad we had a minority government, it slowed down if not stopped horrible bills from being passed and if we do end up having a Majority...could you imagine what kind of stupid bills he may end up getting through Parliament in just a few days....

Just something all of us Canadians need to think on, do we want to give someone else another chance at power? If they end up destroying the country then maybe that wasn't the best choice. But I feel like if we dont give the NDP a chance then we wont actually know if they can do any good. I am pretty sure we havent had a NDP prime minister before :p. So who knows what will actually happen, and just because one NDP politician screwed up does NOT mean that another one WILL. Stop basing your opinions on the fact that Harpers riding is the best of the worst, because thinking like that just makes change unable to happen and others keep thinking like that there wont ever be change. I know as a young Canadian it is time to change and I honestly dont feel like stuff can change with PC or Liberal. Therefore NDP is my next best hope, as I have certainly lost hope in Harper and never had hope in the Liberals.

EDIT: Also in regards to the weed legalization issue, I am pretty sure at the moment many NDP's do support it although many dont. I feel like atleast we will have a BETTER chance at changing the laws once someone else is in power.

11. #11 d2063614, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    I would not consider this a Democracy yeah we can vote but in the end who actually makes the rules? in a true Democracy everyone votes on everything so you get a majority of votes on one thing making it the more popular choice. and second if this was a "free country" we wouldent be having this conversation right now would we?

and no party can destroy our economy right now, "we" dont have an economy our markets have been taken over by the states thats pretty much the only reason people were making money over there. i think people should vote on the main things in there lives that they want some might want legalization some want lower tax, its just what you have to decide.

12. well good luck, from what iv read canada is going to need it.

13. Vote ABC: anyone but conservative. All I can hope is that Harper doesn't get a majority, if he does this country is capital F Fucked.

14. I've been thinking of voting NDP as well.

15. also didnt dana larson (probely spelled wrong) fail to get the ndp nomination? and i belive he was the main cannabis suporter part of the ndp. pluse my ubderstanding is the dnp is like the green party. ie they never get ellected, but then again im not to familiar with canadas political system.

16. [quote name='d2063614']I would not consider this a Democracy yeah we can vote but in the end who actually makes the rules? in a true Democracy everyone votes on everything so you get a majority of votes on one thing making it the more popular choice. and second if this was a "free country" we wouldent be having this conversation right now would we?

true true but in a true democracy we vote for a leader and he gets to dicied what happens. when who ever gets elected every thing he trys to pass is also voted on but we don't dicide that part that up to the major partys and the senet. the one where everyone votes on things is called... o shit i don't remember now but we learned it in school well what ever it's not a democracy i know that. but its what ever man haha we just need to get the right people in thats all.

17. in the end it doesnt madder who we vote for because they dont care what there platforms are they will do what they want to do. platforms are just scams to get votes in the end its about how much money they get for doing nothing.

18. Agreed. ABC is the best way to go if we DON'T want a fascist state

19. Jack Layton wants to legalize Marijuana.... watch this video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-x6NVYBYM]YouTube - Jack Layton on Marijuana![/ame]

20. That video of the NDP is pretty old....I am pretty sure they have changed their stance on MJ since that interview. Who knows what could happen though....although if NDP gets in all businesses big and small are screwed as they want to raise taxes....there goes food for a year....