Do I really need nutes to grow a good plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by edwardvanhalen, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hey guys I am just starting to grow again. I couldn't decide on growing again but I got two free seeds so I figured I would grow them.
    My last plant I didn't use nutes or check the ph or anything like that. I just grew it in mg soil and it actually came out to be some potent weed. I didn't harvest much but I think that was because it was in a small pot.

So how important is it to use nutes? I'm guessing it can make the plant bigger and obviously more healthy but would it effect the potency. I'm pretty sure I would get more yield if I used nutes so I need an opinion. Thanks guys.

2. If you're using good grade potting mix you shouldn't have to use nutes, Nutes are kind of like vitamins, they sure help but they're not the plant food. Light is the energy of the plant.

Chemical nutes tend to kill micro-organisms (micro organisms that helps to produce and protect root in the soil, as well as helping the plant fight off overground issues), I don't like using them. Try some vermicompost

3. + if you start using chemical nutes you're gonna need a PH meter for sure.

Miracle Grow slow release is not good, it releases too much N during flowering

4. Hey bud thanks for the reply.
    I never heard of the theory of the light is the real energy of the plant. It makes a lot of sense so thank you about that.
    I will have to look up vermicompost. I remember seeing vermiculite when I grew awhile ago and I think I might have used it so I'll look into that, thanks again.

5. What kind of stuff do you use when growing. Such as nutes, lights and so on.

6. When seedlings I give them a bit of mycorrise so they grow good roots, I don't use nutes during veg state exept old coffee grounds, liquid seaweed and vermicompost, when I go into flowering I add chicken bones/shit small organic pellets mixed with mycorrise. Vermicompost if basicly red wiggler worm's shit.

My main lights are broken atm, 100w LED chips
    looks about like this [​IMG]

so right now I'm using 4x23W CFL bulbs for 4 babies until I get my main lights fixed up, giving them 24/24hrs sunlight and whenever I can a 6hrs of dark, it's not an ideal set up but my timer died too.

7. I think nutrients help a lot with bigger harvests because the plant doesn't take the same steady stream of equal nutrients in the soil for it's whole life, it's constantly changing. If you can change the available nutrients according to what it should be uptaking for that stage of growth you'll get better and bigger buds.

8. Ok thanks for the reply man.
    I wasn't sure if adding the nutes would add more yield but when I used to grow, the plants that I used nutes with came out way bigger. Thanks again buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I was using the fox farms trio in soil, since moved up to dwc buckets with the gh expert recirculating feeding schedule and the difference is just amazing. It went from street weed to being able to compete with any dispensary in town and i think it beats all but one of them and it ties the good one.