Do i need carbon filter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by seneliukas, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Hi all,

Its already 3rd time i am growing 2 autos in my quite small tent in my basement. Smell gets bad during the flowering, but i keep my tent doors open for better air circulation, so the smell gets inside pretty bad. I was considering puting carbon filter with extraction fan and putting the duckt outside tent into ventilation hole in the wall. The air from the hole in the wall goes into chimney and outside, so i am not worried what smell goes outside thru chimney.
    Please advise if carbon filter would help to sustain the smells inside the basement or would it just prevent smell going outside thru chimney? Maybe it would be enough just to put the extraction fan and passive air intake, so i could keep my tent closed and would prevent a lot of smell inside my basement.
    Thanks fam

Sent from my GM1913 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Hello!
    Carbon filters do an impressive job. You can buy one or make one yourself, there are videos on youtube about it.

What you are asking will decide the size of carbon filter and inline fan. Of the air is gonna pass through the filter just one time and be scrubbed maximally you want a bigger filter and fan. If the air will cycle a few times through the filter and then be evacuated through ventilation you can have a smaller system.

Hope this is helpful

• Like Like x 1
  3. I grow 6 autos in a basement in 3 tents with ,3 fan/filters and vent thru basement windows.
    I've stopped using the carbon filters, and smell a!most nothing, inside or out.

4. So you are saying that smell goes out thru the vent without filter? I think i will do the same

5. Yes, all the smell goes out the window, and then dissipates into the environment.
    Filters also add air resistance, which slows the exhaust fan down.

6. Your used to the smell. If someone else came into your home it stinks like shit . Also your clothing smells like weed .
    Everywhere you go people are smelling fresh weed on you .

7. I want to comment chimney . If your furnace is installed in this chimney . Do not connect a fan into it !
    This is a serious life and death issue . The furnace kicks on and that fan is running . Pushes the furnace gas back into the furnace into your home . It will fuck you shit up all at once or slowly over time .
    Just get a carbon filter for 50 bucks be safe do it correctly

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. That is not my experience.

9. Any air you push outside has to be replaced. So if its 100 or -10 outside, thats what is going to be coming back into the house. I highly recommend against venting outside. Just run a carbon filter with the tent door closed and the vents at the bottom open.

Ac Infinity is way overpriced but this video explains the concept of proper tent venting.

A good carbon filter will remove all the smell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Let me ask you . Are you around it daily ? If so it does not smell for you .
    I get away from the wet stuff monthly on vacations . I come back i will take some workers out to lunch and they stink like it bad . They turn heads . More your around it less you notice it .

11. even just running a carbon fan/filter with no ducting really freshens up the air in any room. If you can duct out the chimney that is perfect. Most carbon filter fans are quite noisy. They all perform best at half speed. IMHO, two 4 inch beats one 6 inch, but if you are blowing out the chimney consider a high powered fan like the max fan pro 8 inch.

12. That is not perfect. If you live anywhere that gets hot or cold it is a stupid thing to do.

13. When exhaust fans operate in a tightly built house (one with little air leakage around doors, windows and other areas), replacement air can come down the chimney and cause the combustion fumes from a furnace, water heater or fireplace to spill inside. These fumes might contain deadly carbon monoxide.Apr 24, 2021
    This is about down drafting . Now im sure that dual 4 or 8 inch fan wont cause any back feed .
    Whatever you do please do not attach this to your chimney if your heater or water heater is connected to it .
    I would hate to read about you on the news .

14. Dude its not even that. 90% of the time or more, the air in your grow tent is better than the air outside. Why push good air outside to be replaced with shitty outside air around every window/door in your house because you made your whole house a negative pressure zone.

15. Filter/fan/lil ductin send air out open bottom flaps ur done

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. at anyrate, I run two filters, neither have any ducting. Just a filter in the corner with a fan on top.

17. Hello, thanks a lot for your replies. Regarding the chimney - furnace is barely used, it is just a ventilation shaft, so no fire is being done in the fireplace. Regarding the filter i am still little bit confused. The air in the tent is the air which is with the smell, so my logic is to push that air out of the tent to the ventilation shaft and then it would just simply disolve into outside. How does the filter can sustain non-smelly air in the tent if the air is filtered and pushed outside? There is still smelly air in the tent, with our without the filter

18. Carbon inside filters absorbs stink then hot stagnant air is exhausted out

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

19. I tend to my three 2 x 4 ft tents daily.
    Each tent has its own 4 inch fan.
    I grow only autos, and have been surprised at the lack of smell.
    But that's likely due to a large volume of air diluting it.

When I harvest, basement and whole house reek as you suggest.
    That convinces me that fast enough exhaust makes filter unnecessary for many of us.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. stand outside by your vent, smell it now? got neighbors nearby?