Do I need a reflector hood for an HPS grow light if I install it in a tent?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cinnamonbun, Apr 19, 2022.

1. I have this nifty little spot in my basement that's 4x6 that would be PERFECT for a grow setup!

I'm considering ordering this and coating the entire area in mylar, then placing a 400 watt HPS growlight in there. The thing is, I'm having difficulties imagining how I'm either going to suspend this thing from the ceiling [​IMG]
    or attach it to any adjacent walls. Is there even a way to do that? I can buy a ballast, but some of them don't come with anything else, which is why I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without needing the hood. The mylar enclosure should in theory do what the reflector hood does.

2. Concrete Screws for Projects - How to Fasten Anything to Concrete
    english is not my first language but here goes if this helps. get screw wedges drill rightsize hole and hammer wedges in and screw a hook in to the wedge then either get chain and attach it it to hook and reflector, or get easyroll hangers or something similar. I would use reflector since the distance to the roof mylar is too far i'd imagine. I'd also consider just buying a good grow tent if you're not on a tight budget.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. same set up i started with and take my word that reflector will fry your plants
    also buy the 600 watt instead of the 400 , those ratchet straps will hang from the top of your tent , or you can just buy couple of wood screws that you can screw into the ceiling if your not in a tent,get the kind that has a eyelet on one end.
    back to that hood,waste of money mate ,if you need the heat it will do the job,but come summer or spring man ,it will fire up a room,look at the cool tube instead,you can hook your exhaust fan on one end and have your filter off the other end running air across your bulb,
    anyway check out the cool tube

4. I'm going to be setting up in my basement and it gets HELLA cool down there. so cool, I'm a little concerned it might be a little too cold for my plants liking. You absolutely sure I should skip the reflector and cop the cool tube?

Edit: also I think I'm gonna be going with this ballast ACE Digital Ballast 600W as I live in Canada and that other company in the photo doesn't sell to Canadian home Depots

5. i have my filter in the tent running exhaust venting to the cool tube,and out the other side to the fan on top of the tent and out , so the heat from the room or tent cools the bulb ,i grow in a 2x4x5 tall tent and the 400 is perfect,but when i grew in a 4ft wide and 10 ft long 8ft tall closet the 400 wasnt enough ,1000 is to much for a small area imo so the 600 is perfect

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. if you need the heat,the hood your looking at is better.
    i live in texas and i cant even grow in summer with a led setup,it just too hot,i use forced air,no heat or ac in my tent,that hood is gonna heat that room up no doubt, that ballast looks fine

• Like Like x 1
  7. A pair of CMH units would probably offer the best coverage for the space you're planning on running.

8. I had similar setup in the past with cooltube and it worked, if i understood right it's filter->cooltube->fan->out. I have it collecting dust since fitting all that in the puny 3.3x3x3ft tent i deemed too hard or impossible later, i dont remember tbh. more ideal would be filter->fan->cooltube->out, i don't know how possible it is but i'm worried about the exhaustion fan overheating with the former setup. I encourage you to proof me wrong. with more ducting and bends reducing cfm it should be encouraged to buy larger size duct and exhaust fan. had success with regular hood and oversizing to 8" duct/fan for 3.3x3.3.