Do I HAVE to toss the plant after harvest?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by seperta, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello everyone on GC, I have a quick question thats bothering me. Almost everyone who posts their online grows ends up killing their plants when they harvest it. I was wondering, is there a way around that? If anybody has a link or knowledge on the matter, I'd really appriate it.:confused:

2. Well, you can do what's called regeneration - pretty much you cut off the buds and leave the 'skeleton' intact. There's really no advantage to it though, as it takes about as long to re-grow as it does to grow another one from seed.

Does that answer your question, or were you asking about something else?

3. With my outdoor plants, I chop most of the buds off and leave a few down the bottom of the plant, it always regrows the nest year (need a warmer winter). The potency seems to double in the plants second year and slightly improve on year 3 but after that she goes downhill. That is just my experience, some will have other experiences and ideas. It can and will regrow if you leave enough of the plant to regenerate.

4. MJ plants are annuals. They could live and thrive in the "veg" state for years but once you flower them its pretty much curtains after that...they can be regenerated as Roostaphant says but I have never tried it...even if you did you can only prolong its life for so long.

5. Yes, they are annuals, but so are ALOT of plants and trees that drop their leaves every Autumn and grow back next Spring, MJ is NO different unless you have an auto flower, then it's one crop and goodbye plant. I have grown one plant through 4 generations of regrowth NOT by clones but by returning her to veg and flower and veg and flower etc etc, you get the idea.

6. Aww thanks for bursting my bubble, I have AK autos and I was inquiring about just that! Looks like I'm gonna have to kill my plants after harvest. But does anyone know what happens to the plant if you leave the bud on? Like does it keep growing new shoots and colas?

7. Somehow this thread makes me very sad... :<

8. Never grown an auto, never looked into it, seems like a waste to HAVE to lose a good plant after just one crop. There MUST be a benefit because heaps of people grow them.

9. Im high...

Well TBH I think peoples biggest draw to growing autos is their independency from light cycles and quickness from seed to harvest (70 days as advertised). I picked em personally for their easiness (Im kinda new to growing) and the time span but I've heard they have less THC then normal plants grown for 3-4 months. So like for every harvest of normal growing bud you can get 1.5x more bud with autos... if only they didn't die :'(

10. it always seems like people harvest less with autos compared to normal photoperiods....here's a 90 day photoperiod plant:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...flowamastas-buds-get-fat-1-plant-monster.html

can you scrog an autoflower like that? i don't know enough about autos.

11. no you cant there not much point scrogging an auto as the whole method of scrog if to fill your screen 70% then flip the switch on them to flower, the advantage to photoperiod plants is you can mold them into what you need before flowering where are autos are either straight up of lstd you wouldnt get the time to screen befor it flowers properly, personally i dont see much point stressing and auto seen as you can slow the cycle your probably just affecting yield (that my opinion) hope that helps

12. Yea autos yield 2/3s to 1/2 of that of regular plants, but considering the time it takes to grow em (70 days vs 90+) you can see where I get the 1.5 from. So lets say you get an ounce with a regular plant and a half plus half quarter with the auto. Sure the regular gives you more, but then you gotta wait another 3-4 months. With autos you get a shorter growphase so you can harvest more times annually. I was only hoping that I didn't have to kill the plants and that I may keep em after harvest, but according to you guys, the plants gotta go.

13. Well one dude that i follow on youtube has re-vegged an auto. People say you cant but he did. Also the benefit of re-vegging is the plant already has an established rooting system. Also it saves you about 1-3 weeks instead of growing from seed. Also because of the established rooting system after about a week or so the plant can use nutes and seedlings cant.

I also heard that re-vegging causes genetic drift but i cant confirm that as im still on my first grow. I have a SLH which i recently kicked out of my indoor garden and it lives outside now. Most likely i will re-veg that and see what happens.

14. I revegged and cloned from a mother for a year and everything worked great. Eventually I had to repot it into something small which required pruning the root system, as well as prune the foliage from time to time to keep her small. But even after bonzai-ing her she and her clones were still strong. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the genetics can survive for years before beginning to break down. Hence clone-only strains.

Attached Files:

15. I would say Clone

16. MJ is very different.....

trees are perennials..... mj is annual

the difference being... one survives winter, one doesnt

17. OO i just learned something**