do i have to top my plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by toptokker, Feb 10, 2006.

1. [​IMG]
    1 month old ' should i top em of just leave em they are special skunk and my 1st grow'the stem seems to be growing fatter but it seems to have slowed down on the height'or should i just leave em alone.
    :smoking:

2. The reason for topping or fimming your plants is to create more bud sites. If you are happy with the number of bud sites that you have, then no, you don't have to top your plants. If you are not, then you may want to look into topping, fimming and LST. (use the search on GC)

3. if you're planning on flowering soon (you said they were vegging about a month) then i wouldn't cut them. It's my understanding that the plant will put energy back into healing up its wounds and such than producing big buds. topping helps growers with limited vertical space by allowing the branches to bush out (and creating more bud sites). I don't think it's necessary in your case.

4. cheers m8's:smoking:

5. Every place you top will then grow two sprouts.

For instance if you top the plant .....it will then grow two stalks............if you later top those two you will have 4 stalks!!!

Each stalk grows buds........more stalks equals............more buds :)

6. i have plenty of height in there 'so how lomg can i leave plnats in veg stage is there a limit that you can go 'plants are 1 month old can i leave em another month b4 12/12

7. You could veg forever if you wanted. Outside in my area they veg from May through Aug.......but as long as the light is over 13 hours its gonna stay veg'n forever.

8. so when is a proper time to top it going to grow soon and what to know is two weeks good or should I should wait more

9. If you ask me your lights should be on 18/6 if you want your plants to stay in veg.(At least)

10. You could top it right now if you want... You should just top 1 plant so you can get more of a understanding for the next time around. You should also fim.

11. it really depends on the strain. Some will flower with as little as 8-10 hours of dark, but many take close to 12 hours. 18/6 is good b/c more light means more growth.

and there's a debate on how much topping helps. If you don't care about a long veg, then you can top to your hearts content and grow a monster bush. For shorter grows, training seems to be the better option, since the plant doesn't have to put any energy into repairing itself. More experienced growers have told me that unless you are giving it the extra veg time needed to take advantage of topping then training is pretty much your best bet. Remember, that topping does take off your main cola, but the new branches try to take over that function. If you don't let them grow out, then you've just sacrificed your main cola for nothing.

12. Can you guys post about topping in detail? Like when and how it should be done. Also ChronicSmoker what is fim?