Do I have fungus gnats?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Deleted member 1006459, May 13, 2020.

1. So I've noticed small little light colored balls in my soil. I've looked into it and found that fungus gnats can come from overwatering and I've definitely been overwatering. Thought I would post here hopefully someone will have an idea what this is. The first two pictures are zoomed in using a phone microscope. The first one is a picture of them directly in the soil the second one is a single egg in the palm of my hand also super zoomed in.

IMG-20200512-WA0006.jpg IMG-20200512-WA0007.jpg IMG_20200512_214319~2.jpg IMG_20200512_214330~2.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. for sure a shit ton of some kind of eggs... Suprised yoi dont see something crawling or flying around

• Like Like x 1
  3. Only been a couple of days since I have noticed them so probably just early. Found something on Google saying to feed 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 4 parts water. Which is supposed to kill the larvae when they hatch but that's if they are fungus gnats. My ass was so worried about underwatering that I started to water too much.

4. Still weird that they would be that many eggs and none flying around. I am currently dealing with a bit of a fungus gnat issue myself in living soil so can't to go the peroxide road but can say they are easy to spot flying if you got em.. Put up some sticky strips and if you don't get any then you've got something else

5. Cool I'll try sourcing some sticky strips just to see what happens. A little difficult getting things these days will all the shutdowns

6. Yellow sticky traps and spinosad

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7. Amazon will deliver it to your door.

Search, sticky traps.
    Screenshot_20200513-104206_Chrome.jpg

8. I spray the top of my soil with Hydrogen Peroxide 1:5, if I see gnats or anything moving I spray them too, they stop moving after a few seconds.

I wouldn't feed it to your plants, it destroys any beneficial microbes and insects too. Just spray every day or other day for a week. In all honesty I've given up on fighting gnats, if your plant is big and healthy enough the gnats wont thrive anyway.

You've probably lost these seedlings, has happened to me. Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fingers crossed that I haven't lost the seedlings. I've already watered it with the hydrogen peroxide and water mixture so just wait and pray I guess