Do I have an auto-flowering strain?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hibonus, Jul 30, 2009.

1. So I bought some clones 5 or 6 weeks ago and put them in Soil under 400W HPS 20 hours a day.... They did Horrible, a few grew but most were pretty stagnant for the entire month, gained some leaves, lost some others...

Anyway I started some seeds 2 weeks after the clones were in soil, and the seedlings are now bigger and healthier than any of the clones...

I switched the lights to 12/12 and in the last few days the clones have all become a much more vibrant green and are looking a lot healthier, and growing faster...

i was wondering, did I maybe get an auto-flowering strain? because these things HATED the Veg light cycle, they hardly grew at all and were a very pale green and yellow...

the tags on the clones say " P/Bubba " , LA Con, and Diablo... can anyone tell me about these strains?

2. No you can't really clone autos. I would imagine you have a ph issue on your hands. but thats just a guess.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

3. My guess is that the 12/12 schedule was better because the longer period of dark hours promotes root and foliage growth.

4. But they're not gonna yield shit flowering at this size... Sooo.. where's the middle ground?
    This is my first grow, keep in mind.

the plants I started from Seed are incredibly healthy and fast growing, when I put them directly under the 400w HPS they hated it though, theyre off to the side now and I have them under a 45W flouro pendant so they benefit ffrom both lights. like I said though, under the 400W they turned yellow and the leaves went pretty limp. dunno why they hate that light.

5. I was just saying, thats why you probably saw better growth after switching to 12/12.

How close was the HPS?

6. From glass to the top leaves, 12 - 18 inches. I've got one poking up to like 4 inches below the light and it's very healthy, so I'm wanting to say it's not the amount of light that's killing them... but i really don't know. The healthy Seedling I put with the clones ( middle directly under light ) shriveled up and Looked really shitty after just 2 days, so the only difference there was in fact the light... Do plants just NOT like HPS light during the veg state? I read that its a good all-round light.

7. Check your temps. Plants turning yellowish under HPS is normal. If all else fails get a MH. But i would imagine it your temps. Also if your plants are indica dom. they don't handle heat very well.
    keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

8. Plants prefer a MH(metal halide) light during Veg.

It has more of a blue spectrum.