Do dispensaries still get raided?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Electioneering, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Do marijuana dispensaries in California and other states still get raided by the DEA?

2. From what I've read, yes. It calmed down for a bit, but it's picked back up.

3. thats so shitty, obama said he was going to have the dea stop raiding dispensaries a WHILE ago.

4. Last I heard, there was only one after the memo put out by Eric Holder, and that one was orchestrated by a snotty, upstart, crusading DEA mid-level official on a local level. As I recall, it wasn't even a dispensary -- it was a grower in Colorado that invited the local news to come and videotape his operation (which was unabashedly for-profit).

Even though the grower was practically daring them, that DEA official was actually instructed to tone it back on the rhetoric after moralizing on the news afterwards, too, but I don't think the stuff was ever returned. I'm not sure if charges were even pressed or not.

Has anyone heard of any actual dispensary that's been raided within the last four or five months?

5. In the past few weeks L.A.'s City Counsel voted to close down more than HALF of the dispensaries in it's city...

MANY remain open in defiance or trying to sell the last part of their stock out?

Tragically, the L.A. City DA promises action against them and soon.

None of this is good news.

SG

6. #6 Klao, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    Still, those aren't example of DEA raids, or even DEA activity at all -- that's all local. The original poster wasn't after information regarding new local regulations on medical marijuana. He/she was seeking information regarding raids in particular.

As for the dispensaries being closed in L.A., it has nothing to do with federal law, but rather the ordinance that was passed and went into effect recently. Only dispensaries that don't meet the zoning requirements (distance from schools and parks, those sorts of things), and don't have the appropriate paperwork filed with the city (tax IDs and whatnot) are closing. It affects a lot, yes, but it's all the doing of the City of Los Angeles, and it shouldn't be construed to mean the DEA is orchestrating those dispensaries closing.

What's more, those dispensaries are being asked to close without any criminal charges or seizures. It's more akin to several bars losing their liquor licenses than it is to a major drug task force swooping in and breaking things up.

Again, I've got to re-iterate the original poster's specific question ..... has anyone heard of DEA raids done on legally operating dispensaries over the last four or five months? If they've successfully been held off, it really should mean that any dispensary open, in compliance with county,city, and state laws, should be allowed to stay open and unharassed .... at least while Obama's president.