Do cops really make you say the alphabet backwards?

Discussion in 'General' started by black sabbath, Jan 22, 2014.

1. OK Guys so I'm sober as a snail right now (JK BAKED AS FUCK) but I was just thinking do police officers ask people to repeat the alphabet backwards if they suspect that person is drunk? I see it in movies and TV all the time but have had very few police encounters so I wouldn't know. Honestly w/o drinking this takes me a bit to do maybe I'm dumb but I feel like this"sobriety" test would get me into trouble no matter what. I guess maybe if I was drunk maybe I'd not give a fuck and just bust it out of my ass

2. #2 Joshipooo, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    I would definitely sound drunk saying the alphabet backwards, whether I was drunk, high or sober haha. I can sing the alphabet song like a mutherfucker though

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I haven't seen it personally, but if I got that sober, I know I would fail lolSent from The Gods.

4. It isnt about what you say its about how you say it. They want to catch you repeating and making obvious mistakes.

And yes, this is a common part of field sobriety tests

5. #5 turbotoke, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    They actually do not as far as I know, but I'd laugh my ass off if a cop tried that shit with me.  I actually practiced running through it a few times so now I can do it fairly easily.

I do know that they will ask you to recite the alphabet without singing.

6. I've dealt with more cops than i'd like to think about. I've had this asked of me by about 4-5 different cops. Generally, i'll just take my time and go really slow. If i'm unsure i'll say the alphabet the right way in my head. I've never once had this be an issue.

7. only if i can be in your top friendz

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. had to do that once and was completely sober. shit sucks

9. I have been harassed by the same cop when I was a teenager, the mofo would pull me over for no reason and tell me that he witnessed me cross the centerline, and of course I was cocky.  Which is weird because my dad was a cop for 30 years.  But anyways, he would always tell me to recite the alphabet backwards.  I told him that was ridiculous and refused.  I would tell him I am more than willing to submit to a breath analyzer, but I will not do any sobriety tests. 

After awhile of being harassed, I called my dad one time I was being pulled over and my dad came to the roadside where I was pulled over and told the cop if he didn't let me go that he would fuck him up.  The cop let me go.  Not sure why I included that part.  But I am high right now.

Smoke out.

10. I don't think you're obligated to comply with any field sobriety testing. Cops just use them to try to gain evidence to justify a breathalyzer.

11. Most field tests are hard to do sober. The easy ones like start with x letter end with y letter are easy, when you're drunk you tend to keep saying more letters than they ask for.

Just refuse field tests and ask for breathalyzer

12. This. To the best of my knowledge a cop can't say your drunk just because you have poor balance or because you can't say the alphabet backwards. Its just to build a trial. You have every right to refuse those stupid test.

13. And chances are, even if you're sober you wont complete them with 100% accuracy.

If you're arrested, which they may or may not do anyway based on other factors, I think its much easier to explain that you weren't comfortable performing the tests knowing how inaccurate they can be, rather than explaining why you fell over halfway through the hop on one leg exercise.

14. Saw an episode of cops or something and the cop asked some dude that was drunk as shit to do it. He did it flawlessly, and really quick too. It was funny as shit, you could tell he sat and practiced it for a few hours Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

15. The only way I could recite the alphabet backwards (sober or otherwise) would be to run through the entire alphabet forwards before reciting each letter, which would take forever and probably look bad.  Fortunately, the last couple times I've been pulled over, the officer asked if I was on any medication.  When I told them I was on anti-psychotic medication (true) they sort of backed off.

16. You are thinking of Reno 911 drunk driver video. That shit was off the chain funny

17. I've never had to. Just had to hold one leg up and touch the tip of my nose with my hands extended outward. Then had to do the "walk a straight line" test. 

18. I don't know the alphabet the normal way so I'm fucked if they do!