Do Convection Vape Pens Exist?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by JeffreyB, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Greetings!

I bought vaporizer many, many years ago that was basically a bong with a special bowl and a heat gun. It was a pain to use and I quickly abandoned it.

I recently learned about vape pens that burn either wax or oil. They sound easy to use- no grinding up flowers and no bulky equipment. I'm ready to try again.

The original High Times Vape Pen Buyer's Guide convinced me that I need a vape pen that uses convection rather than conduction heating. Then they went on to list their top pens and neither their page nor the manufacturer's sites state what kind of heating system they use.

I'm starting to wonder if convection vape pens for wax and or oil actually exist.

Can anyone name some of these pens? How can I tell from the product literature if the pen is convection or conduction?

Someone please help me transition from smoky bongs to smooth vapes!

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. not sure if there are any herb pens that are any good, you might have to get a portable vaporizer instead. Thats not in the shape of a pen per se. Check out that pinnacle pro or the arizer solo.
    The Davinci Ascent looks good too

3. No vapes currently are the shape of a pen and are convection. Wax pens are conduction.

4. #4 Exile1975, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    Maybe the persei with the sr-74? I know the sr-71 is supposed to vape herbs. A little bigger than your a average pen tho and i don't think it's convection but not totally sure

5. Thanks for the replies.

So what I'm hearing is the convection vs. conduction talk in the High Times Vape Pen Buyer's Guide was at best pointless and at worst misleading. That's kind of sad.

A portable vaporizer works just fine for me if I can get the superior technology.

At this point, I'm thinking either Arizer Solo or Pinnacle Pro. I'm leaning toward the latter because of it's size. I hear lots of praise for the Solo and little not to like about it, so I could be swayed to the Solo camp.

After reading the Gizmodo review of the Davinci Ascent, I'm going to stay away. I do not want my wax and oil all over the back of my teeth! It is the coolest looking of the three, though!

Thanks for your help!

Yup.  I haven't put much credence into what High Times says about vaporizers for a very long time for it seems that they will give high praises to their advertisers and not give any praises to those that don't advertise with them at all.

7. Atmos Rx Dry Herb Vaporizer Kit with Oil Attachment. Multiple Colors Available. http://gr.pn/1dR3ic6my friend got this for Christmas I'm not sure if it's convection but it works really well. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Atmos pens do NOT vaporize dry herbs well at all.   Not even close.

9. The Grasshopper claims to vape flowers. Not sure how its doing though, they're still in R&D with the product. 

10. I hope they're past R&D at this point, units are due to their Indiegogo supporters in Febuary.
    You may consider us (the supporters) beta testers though. Doesn't sound like they got very far in thier prototyping before introducing it to the world.

:bongin:

11. Not sure it would be even possible at this point in time to have a vape pen that works on conduction while still keping the form factor very small. Most of these vape pens are just a coil and a wick, just like most e-cigarettes.

12. [quote name="lwien" post="19436900" timestamp="1391115897"]Atmos pens do NOT vaporize dry herbs well at all. Not even close.[/quote]yeah actually I did think it was combusting ... Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Got my Pro Friday (1/31). I have entered a new era in my stonerhood.

To be fair, this is straight, lab tested medical indica wax talking from a guy used to 100% indica medical weed out of a bong. But...

The three sessions I've had with the Pro convinced me I'm on the right path.  I feel the high is straightforward and unencumbered- no combustible interference. I am high in a way that I haven't been in years.

I'm going to follow up with questions. For now, Isopropyl Alcohol seems to be a pre-req if you are using wax. I don't have any and now my fingers and anything in the vicinity of the vaporizer is now sticky!

Catch up soon!

Jeff