DIY cfl lighting unit

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by JamisDakarXLT, Jul 22, 2010.

1. soooooo does this shit start fires or what

:smoke:

2. I will be giving this rig a try tomorrow just finished my 3rd box other 2 have fixed light fixtures that can't move this will be great thanks for the idea.

3. ^^^:D:D:D^^^

I was playing with my ghetto ass rig the other day, and i noticed that the brightness wasnt the same when the cfls are horizontal like that.. mine have been hanging upside down and thats the best way ive noticed.. then again maybe since you have over 300 actual watts it may not fuckin matter.

4. The CFLs are actually designed to give off most amount of lumens off the sides so horizonal is more ideal. Thats the problem with my rig atm, i just have y splitters to give off some sort of horizontal light criss-crossing.

5. personally ive noticed different, could just be my setup or some other factor im not looking at? or im just always baked that my eyes are internally destroyed and i cant see right.. quite possibly the latter..

6. #27 yoroshiku81, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    double post

7. 1 power bar must be able to handle 15A in North America as that's what a typical house breaker is rated for on electrical socket circuits. RMS ratings are always used for this type of calculation(our peak in N/A is close to 170 volts but peak ratings mean NOTHING as they are just the extremes of the 60 hz sine wave used in our power production). 110V is a good average as our power fluctuates depending on location, anywhere from 105 to 125V.A.C. If i take a reading from my house I get a cool 117 volts A.C.

So using a little bit of Ohm's law here:
    Volts x Amps = Watts, or watts / volts = amps, or watts / amps = volts.

110V x 15A = 1650 Watts maximum draw

As long as the TOTAL WATTS used, that is all lamps combined is less then our maximum of 1650 then it does not matter how many power bars are plugged into each other, as the total combined wattage is less than the maximum rating of a single bar.

FYI even if you are using 42W CFL's(150 watt equivalent), you would be able to power up to 39.28 CFL bulbs but lets just say 39.

1650 watts max / 42 watt bulb = 39.2857143

Simple math guys

8. ^^ ^
    Lowes and The Home Depot Electronics workers will give you some basic info relating to the products they sell.
    It will make sense if you can ask them clear concise questions and then wait for a response from them.
    After that you can manage to demonstrate electronic fundemantals know how ie. punch in the formulas and get numbers on what you've got going on in your cab or closet.

9. cfl's also take a moment to light up fully..........could that be it? I think so. Try it!:):)

10. Umm... more than half of the people who work at home depot won't be able to tell you much unless they actually WORK in that dept. I used to work for them, unless you find the actual "supervisor" or someone who WORKS in that dept... they won't be able to tell you much.

Anyway, 300 watts is NOTHING for a power strip.. literally NOTHING. Even those cheap little white ones in the picture can hold easily 1200+. I mean cmon guys, you think they're gonna make a power strip that only holds like 400 watts? Logic + common knowledge goes far.... although not many have common knowledge :-\

11. some one should pm me a link to find those plug in to socket adapters for some strange reason i just cant find them and i have no bud atm so im very impatient lol

12. bump.. ^^^

13. Nice enough rig. I would paint the frame flat white and get one of those windshield reflectors at Walmart for 6 bucks to make a reflector. Half the light is going up...and wasted. You could recover some of that. (Please excuse me if I missed that in another post and you've done it...I just skimmed through.) Nice work though.

14. Walmart in their electrical section. I found mine near the powers strips.
    Lowes has em' for twice the price of walmart. And a dollar store down the street from me has em' too. lol

15. Quick and easy to make and its cost efficient thanks for the idea

16. so you guys are saying if i were to have 5-6 normal power chords and screw in the cfls with those socket to wall outlet things . and had like 1 100w cfl plus 8 23w cfls for veg n one 150 w cfl plus 8 42w cfls for flower that it could handle it if i was 5-6 power chords with like 2-4 lights in each powerchord. so id have atleast 5 power chords with plugged in cfls and than id use the last power chord so i can plug all the other ones in and than it would just go into a normal wall outlet.

does this sound safe? i dont ffeel like burning down my house

also after i plug all the power chords into the 1 power chord should i plug that one into and extention chord first and than into the wall just to be safer?

i need to be able to have atleast 10 cfls using around 430w in total all plugged into 1 wall outlet is this ok?

17. I really don't see the point of this?

if you are going to run this many CFLs why not run a HPS with less watts?

Heat? BS.

18. You need to learn how to state your question more clearly. You need to demonstrate that you understnd what you are asking an answer for.

you asked "is my total wattage exceeding what is safe for a normal household outlet"?
    if that is so, then YES, it is safe. You need to use the search engine and find out what the max wattage is for an outlet on your circuit breaker box in your basement" and then or maybe before using the serach engine, go into your basement and find out how many outlets are using a circut that all you gear is plugged into. And the amperage or some shit....IDK at the moment, Im not current, I need to review.
    Usually an outlet or circuit breaker can handle 1200 or 1450 watts before it become a hazard.

19. You don't really even have to do the math on this one. A typical electric space heater runs at 1500W and is safe to run on a 15 Amp circuit (the lowest capacity circuit in a house). So you've got plenty of room to spare.