diy carbon scrubber idea

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dp101, Feb 3, 2009.

1. So Ive been debating about how to attach a DIY carbon scrubber to my pc fan(s) and came up with an idea. I have a small grow box 2.5'Hx2.5'Wx1.5'D. My fans are 120mm 69cfm and I think one would be enough for my box unless the carbon scrubber really slows it down. But I wanted the option to have 2 in case I needed to switch to a 9v adapter to quiet them down but couldn't loose any cfm. So I though about doing this:

Take a rubbermaid bin like this
    [​IMG]
    Flip the bin so its sitting on its lid. Cut 2 circles in what would be the bottom of the shoe box.
    Now line your fans up with the circles and drill 8 holes in the bottom of the rubbermaid where your fan screw holes are. Flip it over, take the lid off and put bolts through the holes and throw a piece of tape or something over the bolt to keep it from coming back out.
    Now cover the opening (where the lid goes) with aluminum screen. I was thinking of just fastening it with duct tape. Flip it back over and dump your activated carbon from the pet store in through the 2 fan holes. I was just gonna fill it to about 2 inches high. Then take your fans and put it on the bolts that are coming out of the base then the bolts will go through the ceiling of your grow box with nuts on the ends to hold it all together and in place.

I think that'll work. Hopefully my explanation is understandable.

2. Would the fans be pushing air through the carbon or pulling it? Just out of curiosity. And it's a cool idea, but I don't know how efficient a square filter would be compared to a smallish duct filter.

3. its a little complicated.. i did something real easy when i made mine.. i have an exducer (goes from 4 inches to 6 inches) and the 6 inch side has the screen and holds the carbon in the base, then that is just connected to vent ducting, which then goes to my fan.. pretty simple and easy to refill

4. #4 dp101, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
    The fans would be pulling the air through the carbon. The idea mainly came from the ones i had seen where people were filling cans with carbon and had a fan pulling it through but this way you can have two fans. Also I wanted an all in one type design so I dont have to use ducting.

I forgot to mention it but obviously you cut two circles out of the ceiling of your grow box and thats where it will vent out

Are you using a pc fan or an inline fan? If your using a pc fan how did you connect to the exducer?