DIY AC extractor fan speed controller

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Stoned_Stew_UK, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Simple question, probably not a simple answer...

So has anyone made or sourced a cheap 240v ac speed controller for an extractor fan?
    Or alternatively a stepped controller eg, 1/3-2/3-full (which would be more than enough for my setup)

I was spitballing the thought of using a regular dimmer switch (the ones for your household lights), they are just a resistance coil based pot and according to the ratings of both the extractor and switch it should be more than capable of being used for this purpose... But was wondering why no one had done or tried this before??

2. Before reading the 2nd half i was gonna suggest a light dimmer switch, i still think its probably the easiest electrical controller to get hold of.. however, every extractor fan ive seen has been on a stepped switch so not sure if a dimmer would work. Im sure you could salvage a stepped controller from something... another extractor fan? Electric heated blanket? A universal laptop charger? (choice of voltages)

Anyway i hope you find something and it works, itd be awesome if you could post a guide as id like to be able to control my pc fans too lol

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1