DIY 250w HPS wiring. Help Please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gilera, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi There.
    Im wanting to wire up a 250w HPS light but having some issues with how it should be wired,
    I have the ballast,ignitor,cap,socket,globe.

I have attached some pics, and this is the best diagram i could find, one issue im having though, Is that if you look at the ballast i only have 2 connections, where on the diagram the ballast has 3 connections.
    Would i leave one of the connections out?, Or would 2 wires share a connection on the ballast or would it be wired diffrently?

If anyone can please assist me.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Im sure this would help, but i dont quite understand it?

Attached Files:

3. did you figure this out? I am wanting to do the same thing, HPS without the reflector hood.

Where did you acquire the socket?

4. #4 Cuzin Red, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
    Wiring for these HIDs is simpler than it seems. The ballast says for use with an external superimposed igniter. And a capacitor may already be internal with the ballast core. Good idea to look inside the ballast enclosure first for an internal cap. Otherwise if you look at the diagram on the igniter, there,s a jumper you need to make up between the "hot" terminal on the right and the middle one in your pic. Taking the place of the third wire off the ballast. Look at the cons. in the diagram you found. The igniter is only bridging between the black or red "hot" wire and the white "neutral" wire to and from the socket/bulb. The diagrams on both the ballast and igniter show that the middle terminal on the igniter connects into the red or black wire from ballast to socket, and the left terminal cons. into the white wire that returns from the socket to the same neutral white wire at the 120v AC source. Use wire nuts in a three-way connection as shown. If you have to add the cap just connect it (black an white wires respectively) between the black hot and white neutral wires just before the ballast or essentially the two wires before the entire lamp's system (ref. the simple diagram at how it ties in much like the bridge the igniter does at the socket, but at the other end before the power source. Once you look at what's going on in the circuits it greatly simplifies the idea where the wires seemingly going back and forth in the diagram seems confusingly complicating.
    Good luck and hope this helps, instead of making it more confusing.