Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Diversion?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by kamakazekush, Nov 6, 2012.

1. About a month ago I was caught smoking at a park after sunset with a couple of friends and I had about 1-2gs on me and they charged me for possession of marijuana. Since this was my first offense and I live in Cali, they gave me a diversion instead. It was scheduled for the first wednesday next month and that's going to be in 2 days. I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this and what is the general procedure? Will I have to take a drug test or be randomly drug tested for a certain amount of time?

Just a couple of questions for anyone out there that went through the same problem.

2. I'll tell you the same thing that the officer in charge of the deversion program, I had to take in 1978, told us at the start of the first class.
    "If you're here on a Marijuana possession charge, pay the fine as this is the ONLY 'Get Out Of Jail Free Card' you get".

This was way before pot was just an infraction so I would suggest that for simple possession just pay the fine.

3. Do you just pay the fine and leave or is do you have to attend the class and pay the fine?

4. #4 TokinNSmokin34, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
    That happened to me last year around thjs time of year actually. Well last year i was a minor so it may be a bit different. I made a deal with my judge. Since i had no way of payin 300+ dollars the judge told me if i go to a rehab program and am clean for the whole rime she would lower my fee to $30. The rate you get drug tested all depends on the program you go with. I was in a group program and would get drug tested every other week and I had to stay clean until i completed my rehab program and went to court. My rehabilitation program was 12 weeks in total and I had to wait a few weeks until my appointed court date. Like i said before I was a juvenile when I got arrested for the marijuana possession and juveniles and adults are treated differently. I also live in Los Angeles so the court systems are bit more lenient some places are stricter than others. If its less than on ounce you will het an infraction its just like a driving ticket. I have 2 felonies and a misdemeanor prior to that arrest and i didnt get into that much trouble so if you live in cali you should be good.

5. I had a friend who was in diversion for a while, and she had to take drug tests.

Once her diversion was over, they also kept trying to drag it on and give her more drug tests with various red tape bullshit.

6. Isn't diversion for minors...?

7. I think it's primarily given to minors, but not exclusively for minors.

Diversion program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My friend who was in diversion (for drunk driving, and yes it was really my friend, I don't drink and drive :p) was a minor at the time, but I've heard of people who weren't minors getting diversion as well. In fact, I had another friend who got hit with a DUI in his mid-20's who was also put on diversion.

8. Yeah I live in Cali. Well this is my first offense with anything police related so hopefully I'll just have to pay a fine.

Damn, that sounds annoying and a pain. Really hope this doesn't happen to me.

9. Yes its for minors, it is a program designed to keep you from becoming a "repeat offender" idk what state you are in so it might be different, it is sort of a mentor group, there will be other minors on diversion there, it is designed to give you a second chance once completed the charged will be erased from your record but not completely (you wont be "adjudicated" of anything) thats why this is your only chance, fuck up and that possession charge will stick, they should go over the rules with you wich is usually stay out of trouble (no police contact), dont come out positive on drug tests (if tested) i wasnt tested except for one incident where the whole group was drug tested because they smelled weed during the session, as for the whole "pay the ticket" situation, yes part of the program is doing right to whoever you did wrong, this includes any fees you may have aquired, these must be payed before you are terminated from the program, if i remember correctly (most likely i dont) there are 12 steps, my group met every thurdsday to do one step, you might be looking at a good 3-4 month t-break, that is if you dont wanna risk it.

10. [quote name='"junkiedays"']I had a friend who was in diversion for a while, and she had to take drug tests.

Once her diversion was over, they also kept trying to drag it on and give her more drug tests with various red tape bullshit.[/quote]

This is true, i had to do a 90 day follow up for a whole hear, basicly every 90 days youd meet up and discuss what youve been up to.

11. damn that sucks. hope everything works out for you

12. I'm from California so they might be more lenient about marijuana. We'll see tomorrow.

13. [quote name='"junkiedays"']

I think it's primarily given to minors, but not exclusively for minors.

My friend who was in diversion (for drunk driving, and yes it was really my friend, I don't drink and drive :p) was a minor at the time, but I've heard of people who weren't minors getting diversion as well. In fact, I had another friend who got hit with a DUI in his mid-20's who was also put on diversion.[/quote]

[quote name='"junkiedays"']

I think it's primarily given to minors, but not exclusively for minors.

My friend who was in diversion (for drunk driving, and yes it was really my friend, I don't drink and drive :p) was a minor at the time, but I've heard of people who weren't minors getting diversion as well. In fact, I had another friend who got hit with a DUI in his mid-20's who was also put on diversion.[/quote]

Wrong. Just because you read it on the Internet does not mean it true. Here let me pull out my book from juvenile justice class that I am in. Diversion- a general term for a wide range of programs that keep JUVENILES who commit crimes out of formal juvenile justice system. Diversion programs are in place to correct or prevent future and more serious problems in occurring and preventing the juveniles further involvement in the CJ system.

That being said some districts can try up to a 20 year as a juvi but highly unlikely with how over crowded the juvi system is as well. They can be charged as a adult and let out early as if you are a juvenile you are doing our whole sentence.

14. I didn't just "read it on the internet". Did you read the part where I have an older friend who went through the diversion program?

He wasn't charged as a juvenile, Oregon allows DUI offenders to apply for the diversion program if they meet certain eligibility requirements, being a minor is not one of the requirements.

I'd show you some links but you can't believe everything you read on the internet, so I guess you'll have to check the library. :smoking:

15. Isn't it just an infraction? Pay the fine dude. Fuxk a drug test.

16. See that's the thing. I don't know if it is. They didn't give me a fine paper or anything.