Distilled water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LBH, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Is there a cheap way to make your tap water into distilled water? Does boiling it work? (please excuse my ignorance)

2. ok, another learning experience. Boiling water doesn't really work, it' does, but it's the steam that is distilled, not the boiled water. It can be done but is a PITA.

There ARE home distillers though.......anyone using one od these? Opinions?

distilled water distiller

3. I think that most people will look towards a reverse osmosis system before they start home-distilling.

4. reasons?

5. Just pour your water over night or whatever you want in a bucket or big cup. Just let the water sit for 24 hrs, It will be distilled or all the bad stuff will be gone. And then you can check the Ph level. it will be between 6.8 and 7.1 I bet. Take care. :hello::hello:

6. i always 4got to water, so i took a gallon jug of water and kept it by the door by my plant. so every couple days ill pour a little on to kept the soil moist.

7. you can get 5 gallon bottles filled from the machine at the grocery store for a 1.50$ If a ro unit is out of the question then this is a cheap and easy alternative

8. probably beacause they are cheaper, easier to install, and widely used. you can get a small system on ebay for about $150

9. This could not be any further from the truth. Water supplies differ from region to region, even city to city. Well water also varies from one place to another. If you are using water from a city source, leaving it set for 24 hours will do nothing more than allow it reach room temp, what little does evaporate will not change the PH or chemical composition in the water to make a noticeable difference.

less

10. #10 growinbudz, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    what ^he said. I would like to add that when most people leave tap water out overnight, it is to allow the chlorine to evaporate.

11. It takes much more than leaving it out overnight to rid it of the chlorine. You can boil it and still have traces of chlorine. It is always good to have leave your water containers open prior to adding nutes and for use in your grows for you want your temps in line with your soil and grow room.

The best way to properly adjust the water is with testing kits, or if you have the money a digital tester.

less

12. Test kits are easy to find in any PetSmart or other places that sell fish supplies

13. good to know, it would also explain why I have had no ill effects from skipping the "leave it out overnight" step

14. I know this is an old link, but was just questioning this statement.
    It was always my understanding that leaving water in an open jug or storage container for 24-48 hours would get rid of the chlorine 100 percent. This is released as a gas. Now what is more difficult to get rid of is Chloramine, which is a combination of Chlorine and Ammonia. For this you can use a carbon filter or you can use a chloramine neutralizer from a fish store.

If this is not correct I would love to see evidence to prove otherwise.

Peace