Distillate Cartridge Questions

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Deleted member 1034867, Feb 23, 2018.

1. I have a question about manufacturing cannabis distillate cartridges. Here in Oregon, the top seller of these cartridges produces extracts from many obscure strains, and I am doubting that a cartridge made from strain "X" is actually sourced from this strain. What's to stop them from extracting cannabinoids from multiple, unrelated strains, then adding the terpenes for strain X? Does anybody knows if this is a common industry practice. Thanks!

2. Why would they even bother to add terpenes from the quoted strain, that would just be a waste of money. Oil doesn't really taste exactly like the strain anyway. Not sure how your system works but here concentrates are linked to the batch number for the flower they came from. That doesn't mean they couldn't find a way to scam the system though.

3. Thanks for the reply Jay. This company claims that they add "single source" terpenes to the product after distillation, producing the strain-specific effects and flavors/smells. I can't find any information on the packaging that would link the oil to a flower batch number.

Here in Oregon, I think Evolvd is the only reputable cartridge company. Farmer's Friend Extracts were also great, but seem to have disappeared.

4. Elephant in oregon used to be pretty huge. They'd add terpenes to make it taste like apples or cotton candy and pears n shit. Tasted amazing. I'm not fond of these strains where they add terpenes to make it taste like a specific strain. It's ok and taste fine but I dont need my weed to taste like weed...

5. I think Elephant and many other manufacturers went under when the OLCC mandated stricter testing of concentrates. The labs couldn't keep up with the testing demand, so product couldn't be shipped for months.

I would be happy if companies would just print lab results with cannabinoid and terpene profiles. Evolvd is the only company to do so, as far as I know.

6. Since cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug my guess is 100% of the added terps are sourced from everyday plants and none of it from actual cannabis plants.
    A quick look around either TPA (the perfumers apprentice) or True Terps will tell you that much.
    BNW

7. Some companies still extract the terpenes from the cannabis, and reintroduce them after distillation...but I agree with you that plenty of manufacturers use botanical terpenes and there are plenty of sources for non-cannabis terpenes with typical strain-specific profiles. I don't mind that practice, but I have a problem with bulk extraction from multiple strains since the cannabinoid profile will be off.

I think I prefer the raw, unrefined CO2 oil, but it's getting difficult to find.

8. I find the cartridges don't keep me stoned at all. I feel stoned while smoking but half an hour later I feel like I haven't smoked at all. I don't have that problem smoking a bowl, a joint, or vaping. The cartridges are good for when I want to smoke in places where I am not supposed to smoke, because the smell is way less and my breath doesn't smell like weed.

9. Yep for me cartridges are for discretion, if I have the option to consume in any other way I am going to.

10. I think this is fairly common practice. Rip out the thc from cheaper bulk outdoor product and reintroduce a terpene profile to match trending strains. Product is so dirt cheap right now. Last I heard half million lbs sitting in metric with no where to go and another half waiting to be put into metric.

11. Yep, I'm not buying Select Strains cartridges again. For those of you in Oregon, Farmer's Friend Extracts cartridges are back in a few dispensaries, and they are incredible. Evolvd are also great.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Select and hush are the worst. The co2 company is alright. I just make my own with dry sift. Fuck 50$ a gram for God knows what. My brother and I just got licensed to do extracts and we can have one batch tested if it's 3 lb or more and don't have to have it tested again for a year as long as you keep using the same recipe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Somebody on Reddit called distillate the hot dog of the cannabis world (all the tails and snouts thrown in) :eek2:

I should try CO2 Company again, since I've heard they upgraded their carts. I've also heard Buddies live resin cartridges are very good.

Congrats on your license!

14. I honestly think most of the big name companies are putting out garbage. While Gron might be a good edible... Edibles are really the easiest thing to make and make right. I've some of their chocolate bars sell for upwards of 40$. For me, If i'm going to eat cannabis just give me a tincture in a capsule I don't give a shit about eating the food. I'm really surprised people are still buying these brands. I think select and Hush have products in almost every legal state right now tho. Thanks. It will be a super tough arena to break into esp this late into the game but we have a pretty solid plan

• Agree Agree x 1