disguising exhaust vent

Discussion in 'Security' started by beachbum616, Jun 29, 2010.

1. i am planning to grow in a small apartment. i only have a couple small windows and they are facing a pedestrian walkway, i am on the 2nd floor so there really arent people close to my window, but if someone looks up, i obviously cant have a dryer vent hose sticking out my window. what can i do to make it a little more discreet?

2. #2 guitardmbfan, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    Here's one idea from the DIY forum. There are few details but it seems that you build a small box with one side open and however many exhaust ports you need, mount a vent grill, something like this from home depot. Plotting one myself but having tinkered with it yet. Just ideas for you.

3. build a box to fit over the inside of the window, and leave the window cracked a bit. then cut a hole in the box for your intake. this will keep the light out, disguise the window from below, and will bring fresh air into the room.

4. I always thought it would be a good idea to gut a swamp cooler and have it blowing out using the cooler as a facade. My buddy just runs his up in the attic though.

5. Just blow it out the window. lol I lived on a second story and that is what I did. The ceilings were high so nobody ever looked up I think. If you have the windows closed, and blinds closed, it isn't that difficult to figure some way to vent the air. People just think it is a fan or ac or something.

You know those indoor AC units that have a tube or two in the back? They have a hose that goes to the window. Great reason to have a tube in the window in a hot season. If it is cold, crap I guess crack the window for a little fresh air, but just vent to the room. Free heating.

What is the problem? Their was none in the first place.

6. thanks for all the input. i ended up coming up with a very simple solution. i simply bought some fabric from walmart and hung it like a window curtain..

the fabric i bought was very shear, the air blows right through it, but when you look at it from outside it only looks like a curtain, you cant see the ducting behind it.

7. Sounds like an elegantly simple solution. Kudos.

8. I got ahold of an old airconditioner. window type, ripped out all the innards execpt the coil at the back. mounted a can fan inside and stuck it in a window. a little ducting to the cabinet. it still looks like an ac, it even sounds like an ac and it accounts for 1500 watts the power company , or the cops, or the landloard might be looking for. my buddy still uses the setup in his apartment...no one is the wiser.