discussion on how our system is flawed for cannabis strains

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by Dogma1102, Dec 13, 2018.

1. I have been doing some digging lately how about strains and how inaccurate the system we use is. I came across this video a while back and wanted others opinions. Yes you should watch the video if you want to participate. Apparently Cannabis is labeled this and that, and when testing is done a lot of the strains aren't what they say they are. I don't see how anyone if not going out themselves and collecting land races, can honestly think they know what their growing? Is this something we should just keep ignoring or should we overall the entire system?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. When buying weed just assume it’s bs. When buying seeds from reputable seed breeders however. That’s always been legit for me.

I buy weed with my nose not the name. Screw whatever it’s being called. Also you can’t trust ppl behind the counter to know anything more than half the time. They will sell you the snivklefritz and hype it up while weighing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Like here in CO, Starbuds sells Turbo Kush.... wtf is that from? Who the ef knows. But I know every time I buy their Turbo Kush it always looks and tastes the same. So the names are both bs and not bs. But I was unable to find any breeders selling ‘Turbo Kush’ or find trustworthy info on it’s genetics.

4. It seems this isn’t as important to people as I first thought. Thanks for replying.

5. Steady on there, Dogma1102. Don't assume that people think this is unimportant. I am keenly interested in this topic. Give people some time to find the topic and read up on it. Remember, among our many members, there are a few that reportedly smoke marijuana. Give them a few days to chime in.

I've been saying for ages that all of the names mean nothing anymore. I'm just happy if I actually get sativa when I buy sativa. The same thing with seeds. I doubt that each company's version of a strain is the same. In fact, testing has shown that often, the same named strain from two different seed companies had very little genetic resemblance.

We will never be able to reliably trace the genetics of many strains. The seed 'collective' is much like a huge vat of soup. It's all mixed up and it is impossible to separate out all of the ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Completely agree. I can only choose the best bud in front of me, and I generally don't pay much attention to the strain names. All this talk of sativa vs indica, and strain X has this set of effects, it has no basis in reality. A few strains have been very consistent across growers, like green crack, trainwreck, and GDP.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm in an illegal state, so when buying flowers i generally don't care about the name. The only time i do is when looking for beans or cuttings.

I still ask what it's called, just to compare it if i've smoked it before, but that's mainly out of curiosity. Only matches up about 40% of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 FishFlavouredTimbit, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Since pot became legal in Canada, I have sampled about 13-15 strains. I can tell the difference between sativa and indica but I cannot tell the difference between White Widow and MK Ultra. They both act like indicas. They both make me stupid and couch-locked. For the most part, I think that all this talk of different strains is total BS.

I'm going to grow White Widow and Super Silver Haze. That's all. I don't see the need to grow 10 different sativas.

9. Whoa thanks everyone for the replies!

10. I think most people don’t care too much or enough to do anything about it. It is what it is. If I made a ‘new strain’ I could call it whatever I wanted and never tell anyone who the parents are. If it was good enough, ppl wouldn’t care. Plus not every breeder has access to expensive testing equipment etc...

11. Do you think we should have a standard? Don’t you think if someone is profiting off of a particular strain, it should be what they say it is? It’s pretty hard for me to take cannabis business serious at this point. It’s almost like a cartoon.

12. How is it not what they say it is? I mean wtf is a blueberry strain even? One crossed with an actual blueberry plant? No! At some point someone just made it up. If you buy blue cheese it could be just a strain someone thought was like blue cheese. This is why there is ‘barney’s farm’ blue cheese and ‘big buddha’ blue cheese. Sometimes breeders will tell you who and what they used and sometimes they don’t. It’s up to you to buy it or not.

Trying to implement a standard is impossible in an unregulated and largely illegal industry.

13. That's why we need to start somewhere or the federal government will eventually do it. It's obvious a blanket decriminalization will happen eventually. We need to scratch the cartoonish approach we have and fix this nonsense. I'd just start with land strains and get them established again. This is Sativa this is Indica.

14. Decriminalization, or legalization?

Here in Canada, it has been legalized. That is, they have created a whole new set of laws surrounding pot. You can buy the government supplied pot (provided by only a handful of producers that have been meticulously selected by our government - some producers are ex-police chiefs, others are ex-politicians - to supply the country with weed), or grow your own plants (4 maximum). The laws against trafficking and growing more than your government authorized allowance of plants comes with a much greater penalty now than it did before. In fact, all of the penalties have increased. The government wants to replace your dealer and it is trying to make it much more risky to operate illegally.

Decriminalization, on the other hand, just says, "Pot is no longer illegal...do as you please with it."

The terms, legalization and decriminalization, are often used interchangeably. The people want decriminalization. The government wants legalization. Big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cannabis will be taken off the schedule 1 list here in the us. No clue what Canada will do.

16. #16 Private Stalk, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    The government ruins everything they touch. I have no faith in them successfully regulating weed in a way that benefits anyone else but them.

Sounds like the weed nazi division. I’d rather them just let us and the free market take care of things.

But even still legalization and standardization globally is just a ton of cost and red tape drive all our prices up.

Gotta ask yourself, who pays for all this regulation and oversight you seek? I’d rather pay less and just take a gamble on the name etc... I think a lot of ppl realize it’s marketing hype anyways.

17. That's not the point im trying to make, if we ourselves do not take this issue in hand the government will. You're arguing with me as to I am the vote that increases the governments presence. To think for 1 minute the government will turn a blind eye after a blanket federal law change, we've already lost the battle. Also, I think using the word Nazi with everything you disagree with, is a direction in the wrong step. Look's like you've been on social media far to long.

18. #18 Private Stalk, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Well mr psychologist, I don’t go on social media. Never had a facebook or a myspace or twitter etc..

I’ve used Nazi in the way I did here my whole life, long before libturds decided every Trump supporter is one. I meant it jokingly as well. I also reference the soup nazi from time to time so I hope you don’t gotta problem with seinfeld.

Now back to the point before you took it to a personal level. Maybe I misunderstood you. That happens in life. But my point is that in CO we have regulation but if they also were trying to ensure the strain names conformed to some industry standard doesn’t mean the current workers just working 5 mins longer or adding it to their todo list. It would create an entire new department or division that would require employees, who will need a salary etc etc....

This would be in addition to the already sky high taxes we have on it here. And if ensuring breeders and sellers are all adhering to a standard, increases my cost of pot or seeds, then I am against it.

My default saying at work is: If what sounds ideal was so easy to implement, it would have been done so already. And things which are not easy to implement cost money to implement them. Usually a lot more than the roi is worth.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I'm having a hard time getting you to grasp a simple concept, but while you make every excuse that you can think of here it is. Everyone should know what their smoking eating ect. It's legit that simple. It seems you only read what you choose to. If we do not do something about it prior to the government stepping in, in which we both know they will. I.E. the food drug administration then we have less control. Also, I didn't take anything personal what so ever, I just believe that using the word Nazi when comparing the government is something the kids do these days and I'm surprised you jumped on the band wagon. Your mistake not mine, anyhow again what I'm trying to get you grasp is, the system we use is dishonest and a complete train wreck. It's actually embarrassing at this point. If we do not take the steps to fix it the government will. I legit have said the something now like three times. All you're talking about is wishful thinking. Maybe they will give us blah blah blah. They won't and we both know it. P.S. When making an argument starting with name calling always loses credibility. I'm sure you already knew that.

20. #20 Private Stalk, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Well good luck with all that

And quit being a word Nazi. You asked the internets thoughts and I gave you mine. Sorry it wasn’t what you wanted to hear. Call me a kid if you want. Heck if my lingo is youthful enough to warrant it then it makes me feel pretty good actually.

I admitted I may have misunderstood you bro, yet you still come off like a prick when I was simply stating my position, which you asked for when you started the thread. If it leads to higher costs, and it’s my belief that it will, then I am against any standardization of naming because I don’t buy weed based off the name of it. So it would do nothing for me but cost more money to implement.

• Disagree Disagree x 1