Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Discrimination against patients

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by RongBip, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Well, I have gotten my recommendation but not yet sent in the paperwork to make it all official. One of my siblings is applying for jobs and one is dealing with some sort of law enforcement office or something similar. He told me that in the application the question was asked if any family members were medical marijuana patients.

I am not a patient, and he knows that, and put no, but that got me thinking about discrimination against members.

If someone were to put yes on that form, would that be grounds for police to search or even "inspect" an area of said user? You know, making sure it follows code, with locks on doors, ect. Or would that patient receive almost, special attention (although, any is bad I would assume) because of their relatively close link to law enforcement?

Perhaps most likely, I would think that they just put the name in a giant list of medical marijuana patients that various law enforcements might be trying to procure themselves, since I might assume that they do not have access to the states information on that....and having that information would not only help them fight the war against medical marijuana, but also get their police force a small advantage with drug busts ect.

Anyone experience anything like this in any other states?

It is almost making me second guess my decision to become a patient.

2. Typical stoner paranoia.

There's no master list of MMJ patients, and the Feds/DEA don't care about individual patients anyway.

HOWEVER, yes, as a MMJ patient you CAN be discriminated against in housing, employment and just about anything you can think of, because NONE of the current MMJ laws protect us.

3. I guess, I knew that the individual patient could get discriminated against. But it seems that their immediate family could also very well be effected. For not smoking in two months I sure have a lot of paranoia huh? Maybe I need a joint:smoke:

4. Why be on a list of any kind, then? What's stopping them? All that storage space would take GIGABYTES of data! :rolleyes:

Reminds me of some "questionnaires" they like to ask about at the doctor's office.
    "Do you have guns in the home?"
    WTF does that have to do with my sprained ankle? :rolleyes:
    Don't answer ANYTHING people. Fuck them. None of their business.

Now, if a patient asked their doctor about medical marijuana use, and the doctor presumably puts something into your medical records to this effect. If shortly thereafter, an "addendum" to one's health insurance were to arrive canceling drug treatment inclusion on the policy, is that also "paranoia?" Just sheer coincidence? :cool:

Don't be quite so sure of yourself, friend. ;)

5. I think if one had a family member that was a mmj patient, that person would be perceived to be, by law enforcement, not be willing to go after people with the same "zeal" I suppose. Why on Earth would anyone answer "yes" to such a question anyway? It's not a court of law. You're not under oath. It's a job application. Let them do their own "due diligence."

6. Thanks for answering my question, I guess I am under the impression that it could only lead to bad things if they knew, considering the line of their work and the vast majority of their stance on drugs (although I know there are good cops out there who know the drug war needs to end, and support it). But I suppose they might not want to hurt those immediately related to law enforcement...although it sure makes it easier for them to.

I really dont know how WildWill came to the conclusion that there is no master list anywhere.....because if someone had one, or tried to collect data making one, it would be very useful to law enforcement. It would also not be too hard to implement a rough assessment of who has one through some applications (seeming that everyone needs a job). And I am not talking about the Feds/DEA, I am talking more about local law enforcement.... while they are supposed to uphold state law, I know many are against medical marijuana, and perhaps might actively seek it, just to bust grow ops, and give a bad reputation to the "stoners trying to get free dope", and get their city/county a better reputation for busting drugs.