Disappearing Alerts make it hard for me to engage with the site

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by ghostembodied, Dec 18, 2019.

1. I'm someone who visits forums only infrequently. I check in every once in a while with one forum or another, as I think about it and have time, and only regularly if I've started a post myself. I may go a few months without logging in. In the old GC forums, I could see a list of all my notifications and see if anyone had interacted with me directly or if there had been a belated response to an old post or comment and I had missed it. Ever since the launch of the new forums I've no longer been able to do that. Today was a great example. I logged in for the first time in a while, saw that I had 4 notifications, and clicked on the "Alerts" bell where I was met by the message "You do not have any recent alerts." Emphasis mine. The only thing I can do now is go back through my content looking at all the threads where I posted to see if I can find what they were about. I don't have the time or inclination to do that so I usually decide it's not worth bothering with and move on. Which is to say, I spend less time on your site and have fewer interactions with it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. If you configured you profile to notify you when their has been a reply
    to your post or an alert triggered...is easy to do

then log back in to read or amend?

its what most of the 500.000 members do here

good luck

3. Yeah, I know there are workarounds. I don't monitor this email address--I just set it up for this account--but I could have it forward any emails from GC to my real email. I was just offering a suggestion for improving the site; making it easier to use. It's always preferable not to have to work around a problem. And the old GC forums worked well in this respect. I'm not familiar enough with XenForo to know how difficult that would be to implement here though.