Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Disabled First Time User w/ Questions

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Mutatis, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Hello. I'm disabled--I have a genetic disability called epidermolysis bullosa, a condition that makes the skin more fragile, which can be quite painful. I want to try marijuana and had some questions.

I don't want to smoke, because I'm afraid the coughing may hurt my throat (I've never smoked anything), so I'd like to try baking it into brownies. So, my questions are:

1. What's a good recipe?
    2. I've heard that eating something with marijuana in it can make the effect much more intense. I guess it depend on the recipe, but how much should I consume?
    3. How long does the effect last?

And, of course, any advice/tips/suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Check out the edibles section of the forum.  You will find a gold mine of good recipes and suggestions!  Welcome to GC, hope you can relieve some pain and enjoy marijauna!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Important:

Grind your weed very fine.

It needs to be heated up in butter or some other type of oil in order for your body to access it.

Yes, it can be EXTREMELY potent in edibles. Only eat a very small amount at a time, and give it a long time to take effect.

(You can find tons of edibles recipes online).

Best wishes!

4. Hi (and welcome)!

I've found this to be the most welcoming forum around (weed-related or otherwise). Have you thought about trying a tincture for pain? There is so much great info on them in the edibles section- I have chronic pain and bc I don't like to smoke, thought eating cannabis in a brownie or cookie was the only other way to use the herb. I was introduced to tinctures here and once my (small) crop is ready, will be turning it into some fast-acting relief. Have fun looking around and learning- be prepared for the hours to slip away....

5. Thanks for the info. I'd never even heard of tinctures, but it's something I'll investigate.

More about my situation: I'm in a bit of a unique position as to where I'm (most likely) getting my weed. I live in Illinois, and was excited when they passed the law for medical marijuana. It's Illinois, though, and since I live in southern Illinois (i.e., not Chicago) who knows when they're going to get anything set up down here. My grandma, of all people, is the one really pushing for me to use marijuana (not that I'm at all against it). I take too many and too much prescription and non-prescrption meds--Tylenol, Advil, hydrocodobe, and oxycodone. If I could just stop taking so much of that, I'd be stoked.

6. OP there's an amazing brownie recipe in the edibles  section, I tried it out last week and it was great. Be warned it does make a big stink but it's worth it! The high takes about 45 mins to kick in then it lasts for about 3-5 hours. Take it easy with the first one you try when you make them as it's hard to judge how strong they will be. 

Another option is Green Dragon AKA a tincture. Which is weed infused alcohol, that is taken under the tongue. There's also honey drops you can make that will work about the same.

I hope you find some pain relief and save your liver and kidneys.   

7. #7 Storm Crow, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    Hi hon, I'm "Granny"! Welcome to GC!    :gc_rocks:

I'm one of the local "know-it-alls" :laughing:  , but really, I do know more than most folks about the medical uses of cannabis. :smoke:

I would really suggest trying a tincture first. Since your skin is fragile, I doubt if you would want to use an alcohol based tincture.   :eek:  Alcohol-based tinctures are rough on oral tissues. There is an alternative that gives a "no-sting" tincture- glycerin. It can be found at most health food stores and online. (Be sure to get food grade glycerin if you buy online!)  WildWill did a nice thread on glycerin tinctures-

WildWill's Glycerin Tincture HOW-TO        (forum thread - 2010)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/655899-wildwills-glycerin-tincture-how.html

And  BadKittySmiles has a recipe for almost everything!

BadKat's CannaPharm: Canna Caps, UV Reactive GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna 'Bombs' & more       (forum post/ collection - 2011)    
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/742831-badkats-cannapharm-canna-caps-uv-reactive-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.html

Tinctures act faster than edibles, so it is easier to control the dose. Squirt a bit under your tongue, roll it around, and in a few minutes, you can feel the effect. Once you eat a "brownie", you are "there for the ride"! :hippie:

And although it is not common knowledge (outside of GC, anyway), you need Omega 3 for your endocannabinoid system to be healthy, so the cannabis can work its best at healing you! THC gets you high by activating the CB1 receptors in the hippocampus part of the brain. CB1 receptors in other parts of your body have other jobs- killing cancer, regulating digestion, and much more.  When a CB1 receptor is made without Omega 3, the receptor doesn't get hooked up with the next piece, the G i/o effector protein. So you have something like a speaker with a loose wire- the message just doesn't get through to the cell!

This article looks at the study I read on this- the scientists were looking at just the mental effects of an Omega 3 deficiency, but the physical ones are just as bad, or worse! :eek:

Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain        (news – 2011)
    http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/omega-3-deficiency-disrupts-cannibinoid-receptor-function-in-brain/1347465

So take your Omega 3, if you aren't already! :yay:

And if you are interested in doing your own research into cannabis and how it heals, I have something that can help- "Granny Storm Crow's List". It is a huge collection of links to medical studies about cannabis and the cannabinoids, and news articles about the studies.  To get a free copy of my List, just check out the bottom of my sig and send me an email. Or you can use the PM system and send me your email address.  Those links are from the List, incidentally.

Have fun at GC! :gc_rocks:

Granny

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks a lot for the info, everyone. It's been quite helpful.