Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dirty pipe break more easily than clean one

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by hippie4u, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Would a used pipe break easier than a clean one. I had a bowl i didnt clean for around a year and when i did it had a crack in the bowl and fiq. the heat did it. Like if a radiator is covered in dirt or something it over heats too. Maby somebody dropped it.

2. ....beats me :confused_2: I wouldn't think so.

3. Unless you're using a fucking glassblowers torch I doubt you could have damaged the glass.

You probably dropped it.

4. Yea unless the glass wasnt annealed. that was one of my last non american spoons. Wasnt really thick glass either. I think clean = more even heat distrubution.

5. no it definately doesnt. a thick layer of resin would actually make the glass hold up better if anything. if all you using is a lighter, glass isnt going to be affected at all with that. someone probably did drop it or maybe its just shitty/thin glass. the only way to damage glass is to chip it, it doesnt get weaker over time (at least not enough to be sigificant in our lifespans).

6. why do glass nails for an oil dome break then?

7. Oil dome nail must be boro. glass and anealed. Glass can have stress folds thats lead to stress cracks over time.Or have stress that you cannot see becuase it cooled to quickly. I use a hakko so that might be harder on the bowl. The thick ones have no prob. though.

8. Thats what i thought too. Seems like it would act some what like a weak cement/glue holding the pipe together, although really i have no clue. I definitely could not see it making it weaker tho.

9. its called thermal strain.

10. Think of a wire like in a lightbulb. Clean the wire can run at max temp. If you cover that glowing wire with tar/mud/resin it wouldnt disapate the heat just like glass wouldnt. I think i read to keep that layer of hard bowl resin 1mm-3mm thick or it can crack a fine wood pipe by overheating. Also resin dosent act as glue it wouldnt hold glass together.