Digital Vs Magnetic Ballast?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by canadiankush19, May 18, 2013.

1. Ive read everywhere that digital ballasts are better so i want one for tons of reasons, my only issue is RF interference. How bad is it really?

If its really bad id just but a magnetic ballast because ive heard they dont do it

So what should i be looking into? Magnetic or digital?

2. #2 Buffalo11024, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
    magnetic ballast, when they go bad, can be fixed or rebuilt pretty quickly at a relatively low cost. if your digital happens to go bad, and is under warranty, you have to send it in, losing a light for at least 4 weeks. If you have the money for an extra ballast or two I say go digital. They do offer a few more options within your grow; greater light output capabilities and a slightly lower draw in many cases. If you don't have a lot of money to spend and can't afford to have a light go down for extended periods; magnetic would be my choice. Magnetic ballasts are more than sufficient and the power draw is not much more than going digital.

3. you have dimmable/lumenBoost functions with digitals (can make a 1000w run at 600w or 1100w(lumenboost))

magnetics just run a flat wattage

4. i go with magnetic, havent had a digital tho so idk the true qualities

5. Dimming a 1000w bulb to run at a lower wattage makes the bulb far less efficient and it also does more damage to the lamp than running the lamp at full power.

6. Magnetic ballasts are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and replace, and only marginally more expensive to operate. Magnetic ballasts also generate a bit more heat than digital ballasts. However digital ballasts are not serviceable, often fail due to inferior parts, and are either a hassle or expensive to replace. Digitals also offer you the choice of using MH or HPS bulbs with the same ballast, whereas most magnetics do not. However this is almost a moot point because magnetics can be converted, and buying two separate magnetic ballasts (one for MH and one for HPS) will usually be around the same price as buying one well-built digital ballast. And they'll last longer.

If the few downsides to magnetics don't bother you, I would advise going that route. If nifty gizmos (dimmers) appeal to you or the idea of having more than one ballast and bulb set isn't for you, then go digital. It really is personal preference.

Also I have noticed a deterioration in cell phone and wifi reception while digital ballasts are operating, but not complete failure of those signals.

7. Im mostly just worried about the RF problems, money isnt much of an issue for me if something goes wrong cause i can get 1/3 year warrantys (the 1 year warranty is free)

Would i be able to know if my ballast is messing up the RF just by making a few calls around the ballast and listening to the radio to see if its distorted? I really dont want the cable guy to come knocking on my door lol

8. then you are still stuck with plants and no light. I would buy extra ballasts if you go digital. even if you buy from a vendor, your failed digital, being under warranty, will have to be sent in for repair or replacement. Repair/replacement will not cost you anything, but will not come from the vendor and will take time.

9. I remember seeing a video of a grow op busted by a ham radio operator.
    The old coot with his radio would get mad rf interference from a local ops digi's, so much that it pissed him off enough to start to document timings of interference as well as trace the source of the interference.
    That old bugger singlehandedly busted some dudes op because it fucked with his afternoon chats with some other old fuck halfway around the world.
    Duh old bastard don't ya know that's what the Internet is for??? Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lmao ive heard of stuff like that, and neighbours calling the cable company saying theres crazy interference 12 hours a day everyday. Then ive heard the cable guy comes to your door with police and stuff like that

I also have my grow box like 10 feet from where i smoke and watch tv, so if i couldnt make calls around my box id be pretty pissed myself lol, i just want to stay safe!

If i bought a digital ballast should i go with a cheaper one for like $150 or something like lumatek? Ive decided i want to go digital if i can stay in budget. Maybe ill get a magnetic 600w as a back up ballast, or use cfls as a back up light because i have about 600 real watts of them