digital ballast question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by brassic78, Apr 10, 2007.

1. i recently purchased a diy digital ballast from maryland hydroponics... which i think is the best thing since sliced bread! however im sitting here reading the manual which says .... you can select single output (one ballast support one bulb) or multi-ouput (one ballast support several bulbs)... does that seem right? if so, say if i run another bulb from my 400w ballast will both bulbs pump out 400w or will i lose watts/lumens the more bulbs iv got? .. this has been on my mind for awhile now because i cant see how a 400w ballast can run 7 bulbs. cheers

2. I could see a 400w balast running 2 200w bulbs, or 4 100 w bulbs.. but not more than 400w all together.. I have digital balasts too (also from MH)

just use the 1 400w'er ;)

3. i agree. The total power generated by the ballast will never exceed 400W. You can run as many bulbs in parallel, but their total power absorbed will always be equal to 400W

400 bulbs = 1 watt / bulb

4 bulbs = 100 watts / bulb

1 bulb = 400 watts

Whatever number of bulbs you use, make sure to use the ones rated for the amount of wattage each will be supplied with to increase longevity of the bulbs. Dont expect a 200 watt bulb alone to last long with a ballast that supplies double the power. ie 400 watts.

gluck

4. Remember that the digital ballasts can run both MH and HPS lamps. The ability you're talking about is useful if you'd like to run both at the same time, preferably on a suntwist or rail. Useful to spread your spectrum, reduce heat, and get closer to the plants with multiple lights and only one ballast.

5. i'd ask the folks that sold it to you. also, not all digis run both bulbs. i have a mh only digi.....