Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Different Strains, Different Highs?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by CloseToModern, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Most experienced stoners will certainly point out that different strains of bud can produce distinct and varied types of highs, and almost everyone will acknowledge that there is a big difference between a sativa and an indica high. Lately I've been thinking about this though, and if the only active ingredient is THC then how could the buzz be different from different strains, since it's all the same chemical? Does anyone know exactly why there is a difference in the feeling acheived from smoking different strains of bud?

2. Im not a scientist or anything, but it' probably the amount of THC induced into the body that causes the different highs. Im my experiences, everytime i get high is different. There are certain high that you can get; the body high, the goofy high, and the chill high to name a few.

Each strain probably has a different amount of crystals on it, which contain the most THC. Some nice buds will obviously get you higher than some regs...

God i'm high :smoke:

3. Sativas tend to have a racey high more heart pounding more energenic high and predominately to full indicas tend to have a couchlock or I want to do nothing but sit and chill high.

4. Each strain varies in trichomes, each have been harvested at different times, each have been grown different ways. Plus, while THC may be the most noted and well known active ingredient. Marijuana has hundreds, if not thousands of different cannabinoids that are all an integral part of getting you high. The amount of one kind of cannabinoid in bud will vary from strain to strain. Plus in the addition of the different styles of highs Indica and Sativa can give you, it all makes for a giant pot of infinate possibilities.

5. Very weill put, good explanation for him Mustard. :)

6. Word.......lol......

7. That seems like it would pretty much explain it. Thanks for clearing that up.

8. Hello fellow tokers, I am new to the site and thought I'd place my first post on this subject. CBD, or cannabidiol is the other major constituent cannabinoid found in marijuana. It generally comprises between 2 and 10% of the total cannabinoid content of most MJ. These numbers are affected by strain, and growing conditions, but are for the most part accurate.THC is by itself a stimulant and a mild to moderate halucinogenic. This is one reason that Sativas give a more"up" and "active" high, as they have higher levels of THC than CBD. CBD, on the other hand, is responsible in large part for the lethargy and couch-lock that a user may experience. Cannabidiol is found in higher concentrations in Indicas which helps to explain their mellow, lock-me-to-the-couch-and-and-eat-everything-in-sight buzz. CBD can, in high enough concentrations cause a mild to severe headache, although "headache weed" is usually attributed to commercial grade stuff that hasn't been finished propely in the last 1-2 weeks of growing, or allowed to cure properly. This is obviously driven by a desire for higher profits rather than good quality smoke.:)

9. you guys cleared alot up there good job!

10. alright im pretty baked right now so this might not all make sense, but here we go

you know the process of evolution right? survival of the fittest? well the plants develop different characteristics over time that help develop the different strains. they develop all over the world and in different enviroments, so naturally they act differently in their enviroments to survive. its the difference you knoe between like a lowyder and a 10 foot tall plant. so they each have different compositions, and each produce different amounts of chemicals. the amouns of these chemicals are also effected by when its harvested and how it has been taken care of. these different amounts of chemicals are what have varrying effects on your brain, and this chart will help you decode it, hopefully the rest is self-explanatory

credit goes to the colonel for an amazing chart

Phytocannabinoids

Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
    Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
    Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
    Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG)
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

Δ-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ-8-THC)
    Properties: Resembles Δ-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
    Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils

β-myrcene
    Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

β-caryophyllene
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
    Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
    Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
    Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
    Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

α-pinene
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

α-terpineol
    Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
    Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
    Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

borneol
    Properties: Antibiotic, Δ-3-carene 0.004% 168 Antiinflammatory

Δ-3-carene
    Properties: Antiinflammatory

Flavonoid and phytosterol components

apigenin
    Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin
    Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A
    Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

β-sitosterol
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-α-reductase, inhibitor

so in the end it just matters the make up of the plant of those chemicals, for the kind of high you get.

my dream if i ever have time on the side is, to do some sort of research into singleing out these properties, and creating ultra potent strains, kinda like the government g-13 thing

11. haly crap mr. wizard! someone swallowed a textbook! LOL i was just going to say that CBD and CBN leveles have a big effect on the high. i can't top that. sativas have lower canniboid levels, so basically, the THC you get from them is 'purer'. that also explains why sativas are usually trippier and more psychoactive. i DISAGREE with the "indicas give more cases of the munchies" statement though. ALL indicas and hybrids make me too tired to eat while the thai that i started out smoking used to give me crazy munchies. it wasn't so much a hunger thing as it was that EVERYTHING that tastes good normally becomes an orgy for the tastebuds.

despite all the scientific data in the last reply, the summary says it all. weed comes from all over the world and has variation just as people do from continent to continent. people don't just look different, they also have slightly different biochemistries. even individuals do for thyat matter. that's how bloodhounds can follow a particular person's scent. (amazing feat in my opinion).

the different chemistries in weed are also what gives it different tastes and odors too. oh! oh! oh! i just remembered... the chemicals responsible for odor are called terpenes. see... i read a book once. LOL

until very recently though, i didn't know there were any other canniboids besides THC, CBD & CBN.

and that's the news for today... this is CBN.

12. i didn't swallow a textbook, i was just extremely blazed and everything in the world made since