Different Spark Plugs(+Mpg +Hp)?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by superstoner3, May 18, 2013.

1. #1 superstoner3, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
    what do you guys think about the new spark plugs coming out on the market now. i was thinking of putting them into my pontiac grand prix 1999 3.8L V6
    [​IMG]
    bosch +4 platinum
    [​IMG]
    +2
    [​IMG]
    E3

2. They look pretty intense.
    From my experience fancy expensive plugs do nothing but wear out faster but who know these could be different 

Buy a set cant hurt 

If you already need new plugs then you will see slight difference in power and mpg but usually usally fancy plugs are not noticeable 

3. #3 Kingjacobo, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
    Every once in a blue moon they claim to have "awesome brand new fancy spark plugs that do magic". In reality they can't increase power or MPG unless your old plugs were imporoperly gapped or needed replacement in the first place.

You don't "gain" anything from replacing spark plugs, you just don't "lose" anything like if you neglected replacing them.

4. #4 weedandtubes, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
    Bosch Plantinums are known to be horrendous, especially in non-European motors for some reason.
    I put some in my Firebird (same motor as you), because I got them for free, but I saw no noticeable gain from when my old set from the factory were still in. I haven't had any problems, yet, but everyone that did developed the problem after 3 months or so and mine have been for a few weeks.
    There's really not much of a reason to get them over normal plugs, imo. Double the price of normal, reliability issues, and no obvious gains in MPG or such
    Edit: I have the +2's.

5. I like Bosch plugs, as I drive a Honda. I'm running the platinum 4's now...although I've heard the 2's preform better...

As I think about it, seems like the more electrodes you have, the more it's gonna split up the power of the spark....

Like 2 electrodes will give a better pop than 4......idk

6. #6 I creep, May 19, 2013
    If you can afford them, there just fancy plugs. Now days plugs are good for a hundred thousand. Stick with what you got.

If you do not have the proper spark, your not doin nothing.

7. #7 jmick, May 19, 2013
    I bought mine off a internet parts site called Rock Auto, and the 4's were cheaper than the Bosch 2's...

You guys ought to check that site out...I got a premium set of Bosch wires for $32, Advance Auto Parts had the same wires for $92..

And I really like NGK plugs, they've never failed me...bikes or cars...

8. I've heard bad things about those multi pronged plugs. NGK is the brand I stand by, never been dissapointed with em. I use them in both my bikes and cars. I like the V power ones with the thick base

9. Snake oil.
    Keep your hands in your pockets and walk away. :bolt:

10. thank you however i will be getting the +4, i have read many reviews that the +2 have failure issues more common, something about the platinum core melts away faster in some motors. however the +4 is unique in a way where it works better and contains more platinum. i will also be dropping in a MAF air flow system(cold air intake)
    now im not a 100% believer but when these plugs where used in other vehicles, people claim an mpg increase from 25 to 27.

i've had platinums and they suck. i've had to replace them after the P.O. of my current e30 put them in it.

for any e30 owner that reads this thread, don't put them in your e30.

12. I just use champion copper plugs. Cheapest things around and they do their job.

13. No offense to Champion users...but I've had more bad plugs straight out of the box with them than any other plugs I've ever used...

Wouldn't use them if they were given to me for free...

14. None taken! What was bad about the plug? Did it just not fire or was it something else

15. @[member="9D3"]
    Just wouldn't fire...I had 3 separate times when I changed plugs that I got a bad one when I used Champions...

I also won't buy plugs from a store that has them out on the shelf where people can handle them. I saw a girl stocking plugs at a Walmart drop about a dozen to the floor, about 4 foot drop, and pick them up and put them back on the shelf...I'm sure at least a couple of them were damaged....

16. Damn! I got lucky then, all 8 that I bought are working fine. I inspected the hell outta the packaging though because like you said, they're on a shelf and people can drop them. I made sure the packaging had no dings and the gaps looked even (aka not smashed closed). I'll try out NGK next time though, I think the difference was only 80 cents/2 spark plugs. Then again if my champions are working, there won't be any performance difference between them and the NGK coppers.

Lol at the walmart girl... Did she even check them after?

17. @[member="9D3"]

Nah, she just wanted to get them on the shelf...prolly had no idea what a spark plug is....haha

18. I don't buy into the multi electrode thing,  its all in the ability to conduct the current.  NGK iridium for life