difference

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hannibalhekki, Sep 23, 2008.

1. what is the difference between indica and sativa?
    leaves?
    color?
    odor?
    height?
    thc levels?
    high?
    growth rate?
    stress rate?
    environment?
    special needs?
    anything else you can think of that sets them apart?

can anyone answer these? i would like to know all this so i know what would be best for me. thanks!;):smoke:

2. no one knows anything?

3. Nobody can be bothered to write the obviously lengthy reply required - including me. You best do some searching.

4. Good advice!

5. ok i'll try and post my findings here for other noobs!

6. from: http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/strains.html

The Differences of Cannabis Indica and Sativa plants.
    Fat Leaves and Short Bush = INDICA
    Thin Leaves and Tall Bush = SATIVA

[​IMG] Sativas are just about the opposite of Indicas. They are tall, thin plants, with much narrower leaves and grow a lighter green in color. They grow very quickly and can reach heights of 20 feet in a single season. They originally come from Colombia, Mexico, Thailand and Southeast Asia. Once flowering has begun, they can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks to fully mature. Flavors range from earthy to sweet and fruity. Sativa's higher THC than CBD equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic which can stimulate brain activity and may produce hallucinations.
    Sativa plants are taller, take longer to mature, have less chlorophyll and more accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Sativa strains have less chlorophyll than Indica they take longer to grow, mature, and require more light.
    Sativa typically takes longer to germinate and flower also, and grows more gangly then Indica breeds.
    Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent. Thai Sativa grows taller and has a longer flowering period, so they are better suited for outdoors.
    [​IMG] Indicas originally come from the hash producing countries of the world like Afghanistan, Morocco, and Tibet. They are short dense plants, with broad leaves and often grow a darker green. After flowering starts they will be mature in 6 to 8 weeks.
    The buds will be thick and dense, with flavors and aromas ranging from pungent skunk to sweet and fruity. The smoke from an Indica is generally a body type stone, relaxing and laid back. Indica's higher CBD than THC equals a much heavier, sleepy type of high. Indica plants have a heavy, stony high that is relaxing and can help different medical problems.
    Indica yield is usually higher than Sativa, and shorter growing season. Better for indoor growing, because they don't get as tall.
    Indica plants are short, bushy, mature early, have more chlorophyll and less accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Indica strains have more chlorophyll than sativa they grow and mature faster.
    Combining different indicas, different sativas or a combination thereof creates hybrids. The resulting hybrid strains will grow, mature and smoke in relationship to the indica/sativa percentages they end up containing.
    Here is a quote from Hilary Black of the British Columbia Compassion Society:
    "Indica and Sativa are the two main varieties of the cannabis plant used as medicine. There are many strains that are crosses of those two varieties. Within each of those varieties and crosses there are a huge number of individual strains, each with a different cannabinoid profile and effect. According to anecdotal evidence, the Indica strains are a relaxant, effective for anxiety, pain, nausea, appetite stimulation, sleep, muscle spasms and tremors, among other symptoms. The Sativa strains are more of a stimulant, effective in appetite stimulation, relieving depression, migraines, pain and nausea. We are now aware of specific strains that are effective for specific conditions and symptoms."

7. from: http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/22539-indica-vs-sativa.html

Cannabis sativa
    , is a tall plant, generally between 8 and 12 feet. The leaves have long thin fingers and are light green. The more equatorial varieties have more yellow pigments to protect the plant from intense light. Sativa buds are long and thin and turn red as they mature in a warm environment. In cooler environments the buds may be slightly purple. Sativa plants smell sweet and fruity and the smoke is generally quite mild. It is a source of fiber for rope and other products and it contains THC which gives smokers the psychic effects they seek. The leaves of this plant are smoked but the most highly prized part of the plant is the top.

Cannabis indica, is plentiful in the Mideast, India, and Central Asia especially Afghanistan, Kashmire, and Pakistan. It is a short plant, generally between 3 and 6 feet, and its leaves have short broad fingers. The leaves are generally dark green sometimes tinged with purple. As they near maturity, the leaves may become significantly more purple. It is a strong smelling plant with a "stinky" or "skunky" smell. The smoke of indicas is generally thick and more prone to cause coughing when inhaled. Indicas are the traditional source of hashish.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Bt1FG01qEI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Bt1FG01qEI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

from: http://www.420magazine.com/forums/general-420-talk/79362-indica-vs-sativa.html

Sativa s produce an overwhealming and short acting high with psychedelic tendencies which is exhilerating, inspiring and racey. I felt like I was in a video game or a character in an intense movie [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Indica s produce a deep, sedative and LONG lasting stone which is relaxing, comforting and powerfully narcotic in nature. I felt like I was in the womb again after hitting it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080122222738AAATZw5

sativa is more adaptable for outdoors or dryer climates depending on where you live. indica is more successful in swampier conditions. first decide if you're going to be growing outdoors (less equipment but more stressful on plants) or indoors (more equipment, less stressfull)...indica is also more photosynthetic efficient because of it's water absorbtion and broader leaves so it grows faster, but it's more sensitive to adverse conditions. as far as the high goes, sativa is slighty more stimulant, and indica is slightly more drowsey (but lasts longer)

i hope my little research helps out alot of noobs! thanks!:wave: