difference between week 8 smoke and fully ripe smoke

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by abrahamx, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Just looking for some conversation from anyone who has direct experience smoking the same plant at 8 weeks and then the same plant after properly dried/cured(month or so) smoke. I just tried some of mine at week 8(quick dry/no cure) and am curious how much better it may or may not get. Appreciate any conversation on the matter.

2. worth the wait.. just take two samples... put one in a mason jar and wait..

smoother... sometimes it just tastes better as well..

kinda like wine.. unless you have a nose for it.. wine is wine...

3. i dont think you'll find a single person who doesnt agree with t-speed

4. thanks man.. btw.. love the sig... makes me laugh every time

5. i concur.
    some people will keep some strains still flowering a few days to a week after its done just to get dif effects.
    after its dry cure it for min 2 weeks. most strains take longer then 4 weeks to cure, if u can wait... its worth the wait!

6. Either way it will take me alot more than 2 months to smoke so some will cure fore 6+ montsh. Thanks for all your replies so far and I look forward to any other comments/opinions.

7. great question. I'd like to hear from some long-time growers to get more opinions.

8. ??? more opinions? really? find me one person, just one, who advises not to cure a harvest... and ill punch em in the face for being stupid.

just takes tihspeeds advice. take half ur next harvest and cure it....mean while smoke the other dry shit....when ur done the dry shit pop open a jar of that cured smoke and tell me you dont nut in your pants...or ill punch you in the face for being stupid again

9. #9 abrahamx, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
    I'm not going to smoke a qp in a week. It should last me at least 6 months so some of it will be cured at least 6 months. I will cure at least a month first. I have plenty of smoke around and was not even asking about curing. I know what I am doing here. I was just trying to enquire as to if it would be more potent, or how much more potent, it would be in two weeks(two more weeks of growth not cure, I'm saying all things equal how much more potent will my harvest be in two weeks(week 10) as oposed to week 8). I am not even considering picking till perfectly ripe. I am just looking for some experienced opinions. It only takes one grow to have one. I know I will have one in a couple weeks. Really not asking about curing, just how much the potency of the plant rises in the last two to three weeks of flowering.

10. if your plants is fully ripe at 8 then i would pull it. if it takes 10 weeks to fully ripen then wait.

or you can stagger your harvest and find out for yourself. harvest some at 8 weeks and the rest 2 weeks later.

i dont get the question. if your plant isnt fully ripe then yes it will get more potent if you wait longer. on the other hand if it is fully ripe after 8 weeks then waiting longer will yield less potent fruit. hows is this difficult

11. I think he is trying to compare fresh picked weed to properly cured weed. :confused:

12. #12 abrahamx, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
    Not diffucult at all. I was just starting a conversation. Not talking about curing or anything. Simply I was trying to converse about how much more potent the bud would be in two weeks. I am talking about a 10 week strain that is not ripe and probably wont be ripe till 11 or 12 weeks or more is my guess. I was just looking for info on how much better it will be as opposed to how it is now. It is good now and was just hoping it would get alot better, or same potency just more size, etc...
    So simply, how much more potent will it be ripe as opposed to two weeks before ripe. Alot, a little, hardly at all, massively more potent? I will obviously have the answer in a few weeks, but others know the answer right now. Unless no one ever took a nug off the plant two weeks before finishing. Thanks for the replies though.

13. To answer your question, yes and no and maybe! Too many variables and you've not given enough info to go on yet...what strain? Percentage of amber trichomes at present? What lights? Nutes used? Soil or hydro? These all make a difference! The only sure way to tell how ready a plant is, by looking, is to use a magnifier and ck out the trichomes. If at present they are not amber, then yes, it will get much better as it matures further. If they are 80% amber now, no, it will possibly get worse if it keeps going, not better. Have you looked at the trichomes with at least 30X power? What percentage has turned amber if any at all? Look at more than one bud when determining this, and give us an average % of how many amber trichs ya got and maybe we can discuss this further. Is this a sativa or indica we're conversing about?

You can't even always tell by taking a test cut and speed drying it either...different strains mature at different rates. For ex: Bagseed grow from seeds didn't get frosty until 8-9 weeks into flower and some AK47 was already frosty @ 3 weeks! Be patient and ck the trichomes with a magnifier and harvest when it gets to be 30-50% amber. Generally 30% or less gets you that real heady high, 50% plus gets you into the couch-lock stuff, earlier is headier and later is couch lock, although this can vary greatly by strain also. If your going for a great taste, make sure it gets flushed plenty before harvest, or you'll be smoking and tasting nutes.

Man, it's just hard to wait until it all gets right to harvest it...Ya gotta be strong! I wanna smoke or eat the stuff by the time it's 3 weeks into flower sometimes! :D
    You can always split the harvest up and get both highs from the same plant. Just cut the buds off you want at that time, and let the rest keep going...

14. #14 abrahamx, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010

I am not worried about when they will be ready. I am a pro at that. To answer your questions. Its Seedsman Swazi Skunk, No amber trichs about 90% cloudy, 6oow hortilux and 450 watts of mh and 40 watts of flouresent as side lighting. Fox farm nutes( big bloom, tiger bloom, grow big, cha ching). in ffof soil. Yes I do have a 30x loop and also a microscope(which i dont really use). 0 amber. 87.5% sativa.(swazi and skunk#1)
    I have plenty of bud and no problem waiting. I will wait till they are perfectly ripe no matter how long it takes. Thanks for the conversation. Much obliged. Check out my grow journal if so inclined, in my sig. Also, its a whole other issue but there are two schools of thought on flushing, and I am confused enough to not know what to do. I probably would if my plants werent 6 feet tall. I could never get them upstairs to flush in a sink or even have the head room. I will have to get a 20 gallon container and set the plant on top to catch the 15 gallons of water running through the plants. So its a real pain. I'm on the fence on this one. Really I am looking for taste first and foremost

15. Haha, I've been waiting for someone to answer the actual question! Maybe it'll help if I rephrase?

I THINK what abraham is asking is: "I decided to take a test nug at 8 weeks of flower on a 10 week strain. I enjoyed the smoke, and am just curious as to how much more potent I should expect the buds to get when I decide to harvest at 10 weeks, or whenever it is ready."

I'll be checking in to HOPEFULLY find the answer, haha

16. I obvioulsy couldn't have put it better myself. Exactally what I am trying to discuss. thank you.

17. Well Abe, since I'm not experienced at growing that particular strain, (sounds good tho) I guess it depends on what you consider "perfectly ripe" and that also varies from person to person...personally, I like it ALL, so as long as it's smoke-able, and has some decent effect, I'm usually a happy camper! :) Seeing that it's a mostly sativa hybrid, it may very well take longer than 8 or even ten weeks or longer, but you got it handled on the patience thing

I'll be happy to ck out your grow...so when do you plan on being the perfect time? I like to take some a little early say 30% and then let some of it go until I get about half and half amber, (sometimes a couple weeks) but I'm not a perfectionist and will take what I can if problems arise. I have let it go too long looking for better pain relief and it was crappy. (very disappointing!)

18. #18 hermandamerman, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010

ok i understand, i have been taking clones of the same white rhino plant for months now. ive done the exact experiment that he is asking about. so here is the deal. i grew one plant to 8 weeks. great some of the best smoke ive ever had, and others tell me the same. second grow, i went 10 weeks and bam ten times better. i owed my dad some money, but am hurting for cash right now. i went to go see him and gave him some to try out. gave him a qtr oz. 3 days later mom called and said dad says you dont owe him shit. and he had tried the original plant and said he didnt think it was bad but he had better before.

then i did the 3rd plant 9 weeks, and 10 is still the magic number. 9 weeks didnt have the wow effect and people could tell the difference. and its all been from the same plant. all the same conditions.

i still need to go 11 weeks, but thats hard to do with white rhino. ten was pushing it, but im sure i can do it. remember to count your days from when sex shows, and not when you flipped the lights. that could make you miss out on a few weeks if you dont factor that in.

oh and my trichs are all golden to the naked eye, but amount of trichomes was intense. the microscope shows about 70/30 amber dom.

to settle the other dispute, the ten weeks bud got even more dank after curing for about 30 days.

19. Without over examining the question

I find when I harvest my White Widow(Greenhouse seed co) at week 8, then dry for 4-5 days.It is smokeable but very harsh.It does not burn too good and the ash turns black before it turns grey.If you flush 1-2 weeks prior it is less harsh.

2 weeks of curing (Burping daily) the bud will burn correctly going directly to grey if done properly.The smoke is smooth and reflects whatever characteristics the strain contains.

After 2 weeks(no more Burping is needed) the Smoke will continue to get smoother with age.I have no experience after 2 month period.Im told It keeps getting better.

I would say that my personal preference is a 1+ month cure.I also let my plant flower and extra week.I find that extra week = more pain relief and couch lock ,which is what Im after.

If you are able to you should always take the time to cure you smoke properly with the same love it recieved during its entire lifetime.To me a 1month cure makes the smoke 50% more enjoyable.In my opinion.

20. good info dude, but i dont think you read through the thread, we have already established that is not what this thread is about. but none the less, great info on the subject. you answered the question to the other debate in great detail that was brought on by a miss understanding of the question.