Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Difference between resin, hash, and kief?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by crisk21, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I was browsing some weed related sites and saw "I was desperate so I scraped the resin out of my bong and smoked it" "I'm getting some amazing hash" and "It always makes me happy when I see that kief at the bottom of my grinder"

What is the difference? I know that resin is the stuff left over when smoking and I think kief is the trichomes on weed that usually fall off or stick to your fingers when you break it apart with your fingers. But what is hash and do I have my terms correct?

2. kief is uncompressed trichcromes. hash is kief that has been compressed. resin is garbage that the walls of your piece saved you from inhaling.

anytime a solvent is introduced in an extraction method its hash oil.

3. Oh so kief is more of a dust and if you compress them somehow it makes hash. Ok that makes sense since people say hash is very dense.

4. Not true. Hash can be made from stems, leafs, seeds, and normal nuggets - not just kief.

And it isn't just "compressed", you usually use some method to turn the weed/kief into hash. Whether you use ISO, or icewater. Would be best just to use google for examples.

Resin is not always garbage. I smoke it with no problems.

5. You have your terms correct. Hash is a formed of pressed kief.

See i dont like when people use resin in the context of your quote. I say "scraping the rez out of my bong" rez being residue from smoking. "Resin is a hydrocarbon secretion of many plants, particularly coniferous trees" (wiki). So i dont like when people use resin...

kief = good
    hash = good
    rez = baaaaaad

6. Does rez still get you high?

7. It can be made from stems leafs and seads, but youre simply harvesting the THC crystals (or kief) from them anyways... same shit.

Rez has trace amounts, but it barely gets me high and usually gives me a headache.

8. your wrong like every word you just typed. hash is made with keif. not leaves or stems.

iso would be hash OIL, ice water is used only as a catalyst to help get the trichs off the plant matter, both of these are extraction methods....and you still have to compress the trichs (not with iso, but thats oil, whole different thing)

if you want to give advice...know what the hell youre tryin to talk about kid

9. #9 Laith, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    Yes, but you cant say that it can only be made one way. Cause that's just not true. I know people who make hash out of like an ounce of stems, and it's not like grinding them up would yield enough kief for hash.

@Electric
    ... Dude. Both of those methods end up with solid hash, and no shit it's an extraction method - how the fuck do you think hash is made, magic? You make it seem like plants full of THC somehow are going to lower the quality of the hash.

And yes, res gets me just as high as the weed I had smoked in the pipe to make it.

10. ^^ also yeah, resin is always garbage

11. When you make hash with trim (stems, leaves, ect) or bud, you are still (ideally) only collecting the trichomes off the plant matter. So technically, all hash is made with kief.

Also, you can't make hash with seeds.

EDIT: I was a little slow with my post haha but fuck it.

12. then they may be making hash oil.
    there is no plant matter in hash. if theres plant matter...then its just weed.

you dont grind stuff up to harvest the trichs either, if making hash.

why would you try to answer this guys question when you clearly dont have the slightest clue what youre talking about lol

13. you can't make anything from seeds. seeds contain no trichomes at all what so ever, as they haven't even started flowering, or even germinating, for that matter.

you can make hash from stems and leaves as they do have trichomes which can be harvested.

14. Just because grinders harvest SOME trichs doesn't mean it removes 100% of them lol... That's why people use extraction techniques OTHER than grinding... much higher yields.

The only part of stems that are used for hash are the trichomes.... The less plant matter, the better.

15. I used to grind an O from crip and get a 1-2g disk of pressed pollen that looked maybe 2 nickels thick. It's not really hash though.

I'd never be caught dead smoking resin btw.

16. yep !
    :smoke:

17. hi, i know its very late but i thought i would shed some light on this, hash is compressed kief, resin is from hand rubbed kief from a live plant, thats where you get sticky black and pollen/pollem, the pollem is the compressed kief and the resin is the hand rubbed charras, hash oil is any cannabinoid extracted from the plant using a solvent ie. butane, co2, propane. theres different lingos normally people who call the pot/ tar left on your pipe or tube resin are the ones who have never experienced sticky black or napalese super hash. thanks its my first post sorry if ive not addresed this right or havnt wordered correct and sorry for the grammar but i assume most people would find it harder to understand fully punctuated than a litle slang!
    alf

18. The oldschool simple way my friends make hash is to collect a bunch of keif, put it in several baggies so nothing falls out and then put in their shoes and walk around all day with it in the shoe. It is the easiest way when your broke and have no other way to make it.