Difference between hanging buds or paper bag.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by edwardvanhalen, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hey guys, I just harvested my plants and hung my buds to dry.
    I took them down today because I thought they were dry but they still needed a couple days to dry.

So now I have all my buds on a peace of cardboard. Is their a big difference if you were to dry the buds in a paper bag (kind of like the peace of cardboard I'm using) instead of hanging them?
    I can't really think of any difference but I'm prolly wrong. So what do you guys think?

2. Humidity no light airflow are very important. I dare suggest the proper drying technique because it is a art but there is a lot of resources on how to dry and cure properly. Check out Vador vision on YouTube bro. He has many many videos. I like his style aside from the hydro choose of medium LOL Grow organic...:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. essentially if i was to use a paper bag, id layer out a layer, then lay some another paper bag down inside that one on top of the first layer, so essentially u will have bag bottm, bottom layer of bud, paper sack, another layer, then sack, then bud til its full or w/e..!! hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ya I never thought about the air flow. I thought the buds were dry but I should have waited an extra day.
    I don't think it will affect the quality or anything at all because they are almost dry anyway.
    Thanks for the reply man.

5. That would restrict air flow. I would hang them back up. But that's just me, and I am by no means an authority on the subject.

6. Ya I hear you, that makes sense. I am always going to use the hanging method though. Thanks

7. I would hang them back up but I trimmed all the stems off an everything. I think a night on the cardboard will dry things back up.

8. You want to pull the moisture out of them as slowly as possible. We hang ours in a cabinet we made which is basically a box that is about 36" wide, 24" deep and 24" tall...or close to it. Inside the box we have rods (just used the cheap compression rods to hang curtains with at the Dollar store). Hubs took metal coat hangers, cut and bent the pieces to make hangers that will fit on the rods. I harvest the plant and trim down the pieces to the size I want...basically so they'll fit inside the cabinet but still be attached to some stalk. We hang them inside the cabinet in the dark with a small desk fan blowing around in the box. It is very very little air movement, but just keeping a bit of air moving around the buds. They generally hang until they feel right...which is going to depend on the size and density of the buds and how many I've got hanging in the box at the time. You have to hang dry enough of them to know what the perfect "feel" should be when they're ready to put them into jars. Once they've gotten to the proper dryness, I cut them down further...basically into buds, and put them in Mason jars with an airtight lid. They go into another box we created for the jars that is just somewhere to stick them and they can't be seen or smelled and are in total darkness at room temps.

As far as the right "dryness" to shoot for, the best way I can explain it with me is that the bud will feel dry on the outside to the touch, of course, but you're looking to get to the right amount of moisture content remaining in the center of the buds before jarring them. If they don't dry out enough before you put them into jars and seal them up, they'll wet right back up again. If you pack them too tightly and don't give them enough air while they're curing in the jars, they can mold. When mine first go into the jars, I burp them 3 or 4 times a day for the first couple of days just to make sure they're getting enough air. If I think they're too wet, sometimes I'll just leave them in the cabinet with the lid off the jar and go in and move the buds around in the jar to make sure we get complete coverage or penetration of the air into the jar and around the buds. If it's done right, your buds will very slowly harden up and become that nice solid mass they get when they're just perfect. But the only real way to understand the right way to do it is just do it and figure it out yourself. It's a very important part of the whole process and you want to do the cure as good as you possibly can because it has a lot to do with the overall quality and weight in the end. If you dry them too fast or too much, you lose a bunch of weight. You want to give them enough air but not too much. LOL...sounds goofy, I know. I will fill a jar probably about 3/4 full (mostly using quarts). I'll seal it up and then move the jar around to make sure the buds can move freely in the jar...basically don't pack them in too tightly or you up the chances of getting mold. But believe me, it's not rocket science. If you've figured out how to get the plant grown and harvested, you'll figure out the curing process too. LOL Hope it works out good for you. TWW

• Like Like x 3
  9. Aim for temps in the area of 68 to 71 degrees complete darkness and no air blowing on your buds or high temps will make them dry to fast. The slower the better. I use wire hangers that I hang in my basement for cool temps and a RH between 55% and %65 I dry until I here stem snap then I jar and burp 3 times a day for a week or less depending on the dryness of the buds and full the jars up half way up so there not crapped in there. You need trimmers the dollar tree had them for a $1
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. ok thought u took them down already and trimmed it off?
    ??

• Like Like x 1
  11. layers of bud and paper sacks is answer,, wtf i feel like bad santa,, "are u fuckin with me?"

12. Ya I have the temp down nice and low. I have them in darkness but what would it matter if their was a little light on them, just a little. I'm just curious about that.

I know about when the stem snaps that's when they should come down but some of my buds were so small they felt dry. How long do you cure before you start smoking because I'm almost out of street weed so I need to smoke something lol.

If I didn't cure the weed at all how big of a difference would that make? I'm guessing it would make the smoke a bit harsh but I'm not sure. Thanks buddy.

13. I like your screen name, that's funny lol. Ya gotta love leo.
    Ya they were hanging in my closet and I took them down today and cut all the stems off. So I can't hang them back up again.

14. leodicapario said:
    essentially if i was to use a paper bag, id layer out a layer, then lay some another paper bag down inside that one on top of the first layer, so essentially u will have bag bottm, bottom layer of bud, paper sack, another layer, then sack, then bud til its full or w/e..!! hope this helps.

Ya I hear you, that makes sense. I am always going to use the hanging method though. Thanks

16. Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I'll keep all this in mind next time I grow.
    I'm thinking so hard of whether to grow another plant or not.
    If I do I would get the fox farm nutes and use a bigger pot. When I grew with nutes 4 years ago I had the best weed around. If I do a grow now and have all the stuff I need, like nutes and ph down I will be able to grow a really good plant. Thanks again.

17. No I'm serious I love leo, I thought titanic was awesome. I'm a real sensitive and mellow guy so I like shit like that. The movie shutter island was awesome too. He's a really good actor. I wonder what it would be like to smoke pot with him lol.
    The wolf of wall street is like the best movie of the year. He does so many drugs in that movie. It's too bad queludes aren't around anymore lol.

18. wakes up to a quelude shell love me in the morning..

• Like Like x 1
  19. @Leo The Wolf of Wall Street Great MovieMargo Robby is as Fine as they come

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app