Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Difference Between a Bong and a Bubbler?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ksnug66, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Just curious what the difference is between a bubbler and a bong? I mean looking at them bubblers are obviously smaller, but other than that they seem pretty similar?

2. Bubbler = pipe+bong
    Bong = bong

3. I'd like to know the difference in hits. I like the slow and steady wins the race mentality. I don't want a bong where 1-2 hits gets me ripped.

4. they both use water, but bubblers are more personal

5. Lol bubblers are just little bongs. The only difference is in the size.

But bubblers often have weirder shapes.

It could also be the size of the mouthpiece...

6. I guess I meant moreso what is the difference between them hit/smoking wise?

7. [quote name='"ksnug66"']I guess I meant moreso what is the difference between them hit/smoking wise?[/quote]

Bongs = Smoother, larger hits.
    Bubblers = Harsher, smaller hits.

8. For the most part, bubblers are smaller and have a different shape to them.

Bongs are usually larger and generally "straight" shaped. And by that I don't just mean straight tubes, I mean it's a straight shot between the chamber and the mouth piece.

But there are plenty of pieces that kind of straddle the fine line between bubbler and bong.

The WeedStar double bubbler bong for example... It's shaped like a bubbler but the mouth piece is more like a bong and I imagine the hit is probably more bong-like.

But then I've also seen very tiny "bongs" that were maybe 6 inches tall with a carb, I guess you could call it a "mini-bong" but it's probably closer to a bubbler.

I guess maybe I'd say the difference is in the mouthpiece and the hit. Bongs will have a large mouth piece and you'll usually fill it up and clear it and that'll be your hit. Whereas a bubbler you can hit more like a pipe, carbing and decarbing until you feel like you've taken a big enough hit.

Does that ridiculously long, somewhat-uncertain explanation help at all? :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Do you mean like until you are high enough?

10. Well, not necessarily, unless you feel like you're high enough off of one hit. :confused_2:

A hit from a bubbler and a hit from a bong are just different in the sense that a bubbler (usually) drags more like a pipe. You can carb it, pull, fill the chamber, clear it, carb it, fill the chamber again, clear it, etc until you feel like you've filled up your lungs.

Where as with a bong, you'll generally pull, clear, and fill up your lungs all in one quick hit.

Which one you'll get higher off of is kinda all about personal preference. Some people get higher off of pipes, some people get higher off of bongs, some people get higher off of bubblers.

Personally, I like to switch it up. When I use a bong too much for a while, it feels like it kinda diminishes the high a bit. But I switch to a pipe and I'm as high as ever.
    Likewise if I've been using a pipe for a while and switch to a bong, I get high a bit quicker there too.

All just personal preference, but they do hit a bit differently. :D

11. I've only smoked from a pipe. I might have to look into trying a bubbler.

Is the hit from a bubbler as harsh as those from a pipe?

12. A hit from a bubbler is definitely less harsh than a hit from a pipe. Granted it depends on the bubbler.

A small bubbler with very little water isn't going to filter your hit as well and it may seem just as harsh, but a hit from a decent bubbler should be less harsh than a pipe.

Granted, there are times when bubbler hits feel more harsh to me, but I think that's just because I'm taking in more smoke than I would with a pipe. :p

EDIT: If you're going to get a bubbler, don't get a tiny little one that holds a tablespoon worth of water. Get a decent sized one that will filter your hit well. That will make it at least a little less harsh for ya. :smoking:

13. Any bubbler recommendations from the City?

Man a bubbler this winter sounds chill. Just like puffing small hits from a bubblers as opposed to massive rips from a bong.

14. Weedstar double bubbler recieves good reviews, i like the look of the black leaf micro personally and am on the verge of ordering one myself

15. bubbler = mouthpiece inside mouth
    bong = mouth inside mouthpiece.

nuff said

• Like Like x 2

16. I really liked the look of the WeedStar Double Bubbler Bong but I think that's been out of stock for a while now...

If you can look at the waterpipe section and sort it by lowest price first, I think you'll probably find something worthwhile. GC has a wide range of products for both people looking for cheaper pieces and people looking for more expensive pieces.

Hell, I'd probably avoid the bubbler section all together, because a lot of the bubblers seem to cost as much as you'd pay for a low-priced bong. :smoking:

But maybe that's just me. ;)

17. I just got my first bubbler a few days ago, I love it more than my bowl.

18. a friend told me its the size of the downstem vs the size of the mouthpiece.

if the mouthpiece is bigger, its a bong, if its smaller, its a bubbler.

i think thats a fair definition, and i cant think of a better one. im sure somewhere theres something with a bigger mouthpiece that isnt really a bong though.

i think it has something to do with that bongs have a combined chamber and mouthpiece

• Like Like x 1
  19. I think the difference is pretty small in terms of "how it works". I think a bong has the inhalation tube extending from the center and the 'bowl' is off to the side; a bubbler has the bowl in the center and the mouthpiece comes out of the side of the body. But they seem mechanically to do the exact same thing - just sort of opposite or chiral sides or ying and yang.

20. Not true at all. I rip better with a hammer bubbler than a bong.