Diet for building muscle

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by hockeyman07, May 7, 2011.

1. Lots of whole milk, beans, rice,peanut butter, nuts.

You want to eat about every two hours if you're bulking. I am bulking myself and I've been eating a fairly large meal every couple of hours, drinking my protein shakes with whole milk and peanut butter.

Someone also said hemp seed, which has a crapload of prptein. And if you snack on anything make sure it's high in prptein,carbs and calories.

Edname the soybean stuff is very high in protein, and makes a good snack.

And make sure you're not taking hot showers after you work out. Hot can sometimes undo all the work you've done.

2. why does everyone forget this?

fiber!

you NEED fiber.

if you are on a 500g of protein a day diet but you dont eat fiber, your digestion will be completely messed up, and you wont be absorbing most of the protein

berries
    beans
    whole grain.brown rice.whole weat.oats
    veggies

3. Quinoa. It's really healthy. But you have to soak it in water for 15 minutes before you cook it (then throw out the water you soaked it in) or it will taste bitter.

4. Eating slow absorbing protein before bed is important. I drink casein shakes out of convenience. As far as food goes there's cottage cheese, peanut butter, eggs, and meat.

Post workout is key too. I immediately down some weight gainer after a workout. Then about an hour after I eat a meal.

Those are things that I always get on my lifting partner about when he complains about not making gains.

5. Whats your "weight gainer" things?

I like conviencnt foods ,bars, drinks etc?

6. ...wait...what? since when? please explain cause i always take a nice steamy baked shower after the gym....

ill deff look into it, im guessin its a lentil?

7. It's a grain. The texture is kind of like couscous.

8. Beachbum, it's something my sensei told me. After a work out you're muscles are hot already, taking a tipid or cool shower will help repair muscles faster. The faster your muscles repair themselves the faster you get buff. Think when you have a scab.

I always take a cool shower, or even better a cool bath. Some people take it to the extreme after a hardcore workout and take an ice bath.

Hot tends to relax the muscles, so it undoes some of the work you just did.

It's a small detail in fitness but it does seem to help me.

9. And it's really good!

10. thats inacurate and meal times do not matter. you can eat whatever, whenever you eat as long as you reach your macros.

annicus, can you list some high in protein snacks please? that aren't high in fat

11. this is really poor advice. hot water makes blood flow to the area making it heal faster.

12. Bump to get more opinions. Been increasing on breads, meats, fruits, dairy.

Trying to increase all the others as well..:wave:

13. Cut out as much unnecessary sugar and sodium as you can, those are just empty carbs that turn to fat if you don't do enough cardio. But limit your cardio too if you want mass, run maybe 2-3 times a week at most, but it depends on your workout routine. I usually run on my rest days for upper body and do sprints/squats/lunges for lower body.

14. Sodium does not equal carb, but you're still right

15. Ya i was kinda drunk when i wrote that last post haha sodium is still bad though, try to stay below 3500mg a day, even though avg. is 4500mg but that's still way too much.

16. The best muscle building diets vary from individual to individual. If you are looking to build muscle there is one thing you need to keep in mind.

Without consuming excess calories in your diet you will not be able to build muscle efficiently. If you are overweight, muscle building diets are not recommended because you will most likely add to your fat stores which cover up your muscle.

If you are overweight and want to build muscle, you need to prioritize your goals. You should use Fat loss diets to accomplish your weight loss goals first before you attempt to build a significant amount of muscle mass.

If you are not overweight, muscle building is a matter of mathematics. If you do not consume enough calories you will not be able to gain weight in the form of muscle.

Your muscle building diet should have a caloric surplus of around 500 extra calories per day. You can measure and assess your diet's effectiveness over time.

17. A dumbed down version of what the last poster said and many others...

PROTEIN + CALORIES...

If your really trying to put on weight .

2-3x your body weight in protein a day and 4000-6000 Calories.

Do you use any GOOD creatine supplements ? They will help a bunch.

I started going to college to be a psychical trainer.. I used to be into working out :cool:

18. instead of listening to people that dont know what theyre talking about. inform yourself.

bodybuilding.com