Did you go to college?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sammyy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Been thinking about going back o school, i just read all these articles saying college isnt really what it once was, and that as a nation were les to believe we NEED college to get a good job but apparently thats not true. I havent gone to college yet, took a break after hs and just kept working, although i can say i wish i had a better paying job, im still young so i guess i have time still.So if you are/did go, was/is it actually worth it?And if you didnt go but happen to be one of those success stories of getting a good job without a degree by all means feel free to share

2. #2 Mr Unknown, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    I didn't go to college, tried it out of hs but didn't really try at it. I plan on going back sometime, at least for my associates.About to land a good job though, hopefully can stay with them for years.Sent from The Gods.

3. #3 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    Is 100% worth it.   I originally dropped out of uni  when I was young due to a family emergency.    Went back in my late 20's and did a 2 year program at college....was tough to go back at first, but am I ever glad I did.   Before I even graduated, I had a great job lined up in my field (environmental), a sweet union gig starting at $28/hour with full benefits, pension, and 3 weeks paid vacation.     Since I took that job 3 years ago, I bought a car, saved and bought a house, and am 1000% better off than before going back to school.   Do it, you won't regret it  :)

Gotta have that piece of paper, especially in these tight times, as there is crazy competition for the good jobs.  

4. [quote name="Shiva Blaster" post="19383773" timestamp="1390361011"]Is 100% worth it. I originally dropped out of uni when I was young to to a family emergency. Went back in my late 20's and did a 2 year program at college....was tough to go back at first, but am I ever glad I did. Before I even graduated, I had a great job lined up in my field (environmental), a sweet union gig starting at $28/hour with full benefits, persion, and 3 weeks paid vacation.\t Since I took that job 3 years ago, I bought a car, saved and bought a house, and am 1000% better off before going back to school. Do it, you won't regret it :)Gotta have that piece of paper, especially in these tight times, as there is crazy competition for the good jobs. [/quote]Damn what was your major? I imagine myself going to school, then how much its actually gonna cost hits me..

5. My recommendation would be to do your research on your local economy, what jobs are in demand etc.   That's what I did when I went back to school.........a 4 year sociology degree isn't going to do shit, but often (as in my case) there are 1 or 2 year community college programs that will give you job-specific training that can get you into a nice paying career job in not that long of a time. 

6. I did a 2 year technical diploma in Environmental Technology. 

7. #7 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    Gotta invest in yourself man, if you don't no one else will.   Seriously, a student loan is the best loan you will ever take out, it'll pay for itself multiple times over.    Plus there are all sorts or bursaries and tax write offs available to mature students.     

Plus, being a student is actually fun once you get used to being tight on cash again........just think of all the cute ladies.. ;)

8. Damn that inspired me lol, i guess it couldnt hurt to at least look into community college if anything, better than nothing and its pretty cheap

9. Don't do liberal arts.
    It's a pyramid scheme.

10. #10 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    Yeah, like I said, do some research on your local economy and find out what is in demand, pays well, etc.   You can even find out the post-graduation hiring statistics for each of the programs at the schools you are looking at, which will tell you a lot about whether or not that program will get you a job.   The nice thing about community colleges is that the programs are very career-specific, so you don't end up with some useless general degree or diploma that isn't good for anything.   Almost everything is practical and relevant to what you will be doing in your career, and a lot of programs can be done in 1 or 2 years.....there is often co-op opportunities for summer jobs in your field that will help you pay for your school and get your foot in the door with a company. 

that like windmill repair or something?...out school has something like that and one of those giant windmills they work on

12. #12 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    Haha, not exactly.   The environmental field is huge business now in all areas of industry with all the environmental regulations/enforcement that's been brought into law.   My degree focuses on environmental impact assessments and remediation, environmental audits,  and water/wastewater treatment.   Jobs can be with government, municipalities, or with engineering/consulting firms in the private sector. 

13. a mother fucker with common sense right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

see that sounds like something i would like..just been doing this business mgmt degree but still dont know what i want to do..i just know i either want to own a business or do something where im not inside all day

15. #15 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    I would definitely recommend it....the environmental sector is booming and qualified people are definitely in demand.  It's interesting work, and you can do a variety of things with it.  If you like to work outdoors, there's tons of consulting work in oil, gas, mining, and forestry, and there tons of city jobs doing remediation/assessments or water treatment work.    

If you want to work outdoors, I'd definitely recommend my program....half of my classes/labs were outdoors, and I had really interesting classes like Dendrology (tree and shrub identification and biology) and geology.   Lots of entrepreneurial opportunities too, as lots of people go on to start their own environmental consulting firms once they have some work experience and industry contacts.....that's my end plan. 

16. I am college

Sent from my LG-P659 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. #17 TinTizzy, Jan 22, 2014

yea i just cant to too much manual labor due to health reason but the consulting stuff sounds up my alley..was considering business consultiing but if it could be half office stuff half outdoors that would be great...ill look into that more thanks for the info

18. Not yet, but I definitely plan on it. In my opinion, it's stupid as hell to go to school when your not exactly sure what you even want to do career wise. Such a waste of money going to school to be an architect and then realize you want to be a doctor and have to change majors and you've wasted all that time learning about something your not actually going to use in life. But hey, if money and time isn't a concern then everyone should go to school.

19. [quote name="Shiva Blaster" post="19384148" timestamp="1390365460"]I would definitely recommend it....the environmental sector is booming and qualified people are definitely in demand. It's interesting work, and you can do a variety of things with it. If you like to work outdoors, there's tons of consulting work in oil, gas, mining, and forestry, and there tons of city jobs doing remediation/assessments or water treatment work.\tIf you want to work outdoors, I'd definitely recommend my program....half of my classes/labs were outdoors, and I had really interesting classes like Dendrology (tree and shrub identification and biology) and geology. Lots of entrepreneurial opportunities too, as lots of people go on to start their own environmental consulting firms once they have some work experience and industry contacts.....that's my end plan. [/quote]Now that definitely sounds like something id be interested in, something along the lines of forestry work or marine life

20. I went to community college but quit after a month of attendance (stupid move on my part) ,and now alas I make sandwiches for people with real jobs making bank. I highly advise you to go back to school as soon as possible especially if you give two shits about your future.