Diatomaceous earth Earth kill spider mite eggs?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by snappahead, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Hey everyone,

I was recently using Diatomaceous earth to kill aphids on my cabbage plants. I mixed up about 1/3 cup DE about 10 drops of dish soap and a gallon of water in my sprayer and it worked about perfectly. Higher concentrations also work but I think it might be wasteful. After a single spray about 98% of the aphids where dead and they had DE all in their joints and every bump on them. The few that where alive looked like juveniles that had just molted so another spray knocked them out.

I noticed on some of my other plants had what looked like spider mite eggs but no mites. I gave them a spray also and after the solution dried the eggs where turned completely white, covered in DE. So I'm curious it it could be effective in drying out and killing eggs????

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath :)

2. I don't believe it's effective against eggs. Most of the action from DE comes from the bugs walking across the DE and cutting them selves up. I 100% for sure have noticed broad mites and russet mites walking right around DE as if it were a building. The size difference is staggering.

For spider mites, grow healthy plants and use beneficial mites. Good luck.