Dial a watt question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dsmreaper, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I have the dimmable lumatek, and this question never came up when I was reviewing it online, then I read the directions, and they are conflicting kind of. My question is can I dim a 1000 watt bulb, or do I have to get the bulb that's rated for the watts I will have it set to. The directions first support my idea that a 1000 watt would be fine to use for all the dimmer settings, then I read on and it says things like a 600 watt cannot be turned up to a 1000 watt, I know that was true, but I didn't understand if that meant I would need a 600 or 750 for the lower wattage settings. Also does any one have one of these that uses the super lumens setting, if so, does it degrade the bulb quicker, is it safe for stander HPS/MH bulbs?

2. a 1000 watt bulb can be turned down...I also read some where its not good to play with the switch(no pun intended) it burns up the unit, heard that some place.... maybe my local hydro store... at any rate... set it and forget it

a 600 watt cannot be turned up.. it will explode(or short out).. too much voltage for a light

3. Thanks Tihspeed! What about changing the wattage when the ballast is off. Example, I was going to veg under 600 or 750, depends on how busy they get, and then on the last day of veg, when the timer kicks it off for night, I would reset to 12/12 and set the dial to 1000 or even super lumens, and finish like that, then turn it down(while off) after harvest for the new grow that will be next, will this affect the ballast:confused:

4. yeah... thats what he guy at the local shop said.. do all your switching when in the off position... says it helps some how.. said he saw one catch fire... i could see that happening... but it also could have just been a story.. but then again.. why risk it right?