Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Diabities type 1

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Turko, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Can you smoke if you have type 1 diabetes ?

2. it lowers ur blood sugar

3. But would it be dangerously lowering it?

4. [quote name='"chickensupreme"']it lowers ur blood sugar[/quote]

No. It lowers your blood pressure which sometimes may affect blood sugar. It's been said that it can possibly drop enough to bring your blood sugar too low. Smoking anything with diabetes is definitely not the safest, but marijuana with diabetes shouldn't have too negative of an effect. Everyone is different though.

5. #5 Storm Crow, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    How fragile are you, hon? That is the big question!

I'm type 2, and controlled with diet- more of an inconvenience, than anything. My blood sugar drops a max of 15 points or so when I toke, but each of us is different!

Just go slow. Treat it like you would an unknown food- toke a little bit, then test. Repeat.

Incidentally, you may not like this, but high CBD cannabis (less of a high) is better for you than high THC cannabis. CBD does wonderful things for diabetics! I'm just going to post some easy to read articles, but if you click that first link in my sig, you can find the actual studies!

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News:Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, uk]

CBD isn't as much fun as THC, but it slows or prevents diabetic neuroapthy, retinopathy and heart damage! If you are in California, you can find high CBD strains like Harlequin at your local dispensaries.

Granny

6. But lowers it dangerously low?

7. not necessarily. you should be able to feel it before it gets dangerously low.

8. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I've been smoking for a little over three years. I've noticed it lowers blood sugar no more than 20 points. Not that big a deal. The thing to worry about is forgetting to take insulin when you eat munchies :)

9. Type 1 diabetic here had no problems apart from once when i smoked when recovering from a hypo and greened out because i felt faint but i learnt my lesson just keep safe and monitor your sugers...or if you are on the injection type novorapid take less units and make up for those units after the munchies good luck :)

10. Yes you can, just keep your blood sugar meter handy, because weed can lower your blood sugar, and all the snacking after can bring it up.

I don't think a lot of blades understand that for someone with Type 1 diabetes, low blood sugar can be just as much a problem as high blood sugar. Both situations can be dangerous.

So just keep your meter handy, and have a good gauge of how you're feeling. But you can certainly smoke.

11. Hell yeah man! I've got type one and it's actually been helping my A1C. Also, I've been smoking about everyday for the past year. It's fucking incredible.