Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Diabetic smokers

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Diabetic, May 3, 2010.

1. Was just wondering if there is anything i need to worry about being a diabetic and smoking

2. Would like to know as well. My girl is a diabetic and i kind of wanted to get her smoking. I also wanted to know if there was anything i should know. My dad has diabetes as well and he smokes. Never told me any negative effects though. My guess would be the munchies. Not good to be diabetic and have the munchies.

3. Yeah, watch your munchies for sure. I have a diabetic smoker friend who had the same concerns, so he checked his blood sugar before smoking and right after smoking to make sure it didn't spike. You just need to make sure you're not pigging out on stuff that's going to make your insulin levels go all out of whack.

4. I'm a diabetic.

All you have to do is take insulin when you binge due to munchies.

Simple as that, life saved.

5. I dont think all diabetics take insulin. I actually emailed Granny Storm Crow for an unrelated question and we ended up discussing MMJ for patients that are diabetic. This is what she wrote back that might be helpful to those who are diabetic:

I'm type 2 diabetic. Cannabis lowers blood sugar slightly (10 - 20 points for me) That's why we get the munchies- they are a response to a drop in blood sugar. Unless she is a very "fragile diabetic", it should do no harm.

so basically I guess you should maybe have a light meal before smoking which should protect you against a blood sugar drop. Take a test before and after smoking to see how much your blood sugar changes so you will now how to keep yourself in check.

6. What about mushrooms or acid?

7. One thing that scares me about that. Say your tripping pretty good, and your blood sugar drops. The person may not be able to tell (or care). My g/f's blood sugar dropped through the floor one day. She started shaking and sweating and couldnt understand what i was saying. We saved her from passing out with a glucose gel. I was scared to death. If that happened while i was tripping, dear lord, i dont think i could handle it.