Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Diabetic Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TheMunchinPanda, Dec 17, 2012.

1. First of I'm not sure if I spelled that right but on to the point.

My mom has diabetes and neuropathy(the nerve endings actually die causing excruciating pain) in her feet and slowly starting in her hands. I want to show her all the research I did on how it would help her and all the different ways she could take it(smoke, vape, edibles) but I don't know how to talk to her about it. She takes prescribed medicine but they either don't work, cause other problems, or she can't sleep(caught her up at 4am last night). The doctors keep switching her meds and who knows all the side effects of them.

So basically, would marijuana be a good choice for her and how do I go about talking to her about it?

2. Peripheral Neuropathy is awful. I couldn't walk for nearly a month. It took me forever just to get around and I'm 18 now. I had it when I was 16. I would try talking about it and I think it could be a good choice. It doesn't hurt to try. Just bring it up in a conversation and say its apparent you are not fond of the medicine you were prescribed and I have done some research and I think maybe you should try to smoke some marijuana to relieve the pain. Something like that.

3. It might be worth a try. It won't cure anything, but might help relieve symptoms. Yeah, diabetes creates many other problems, and once docs start with all of the prescriptions, things can get out of whack in a hurry. Good luck.

4. my mother is a type one diabetic with neuropathy and many more conditions as well.

she was prescribed medical marijuana years ago but it didn't work out for her. she told me it made her paranoid and it didn't help much with anxiety and pain.

I don't know the methods of how she used marijuana but she doesn't do it anymore.

I personally think that raw cannabis would work but it's thousands of dollars for something like that, not to mention highly illegal in New York.

good luck.

5. you can do a lot with physical therapy on the affected areas. my grandma has had this and we got her a foot massager to help with the blood flow. her feet were blue basically but with foot rubs and walking and the machine she still has all her toes. it has been over 3 years now

6. I have type 1 diabetes but don't suffer from neuropathy as of yet. I believe that most negative effects caused by diabetes can be masked or mended with a bit of cannabis. Sometimes when my blood sugars are really high I can feel pretty bad so after I give insulin I usually smoke a bit and forget all about it. I think she should try medical marijuana to help her neuropathy, it's worth a try because if it does work her life could be changed forever.

7. I second that. Make it clear to your mom that there are no long term or short term risks in trying it once. She can be the judge if it is worth it, and if it turns out to work very well the potential benefits are extremely high.

Convey those ideas well and hopefully she is reasonable enough to accept the proposition.

8. I can't say that smoking weed has any effect on the neuropathic pain in my feet, but it does make the general pain of life and death more tolerable and even entertaining.

9. Well I have a vaporizer, a bowl, and am in the process of trying some firecrackers so she has multiple options in the ways of trying it. It helps me with insomnia(self diagnosed lol) and I just like getting high once in awhile lol but yea, I'm just uber nervous to talk to her about it. It's upsetting when we're sitting there watching tv together and she screams in pain. :(

10. For pain imo. Edibles would be your best option followed by a vape maybe? But take it slow and give her really light doses. A side affect of cannabis (especially for novice tokers) is paranoia. Also if strain is an option, I would go with a heavy indica.

11. Well, I ate some firecrackers, probably to many, got high as fuck and sat my whole family down and talked to them about marijuana lol it went a lot better than expected. My mom doesn't want to try it but only because its illegal here (pa). If MMJ becomes available she'll think about taking it.

12. at least you tried.

honestly it's just society and the past that has hammered and solidified how people feel about weed its such a shame.

how great it would be if I could help my mother and you could help yours with a simple fucking plant...

13. roll a blunt of some good geechi for her

14. That is exactly what it is. But I talked to her again today (and plan to educate both my parents, even if they keep the same views, as long as they know how much it can actually help) and she's really interested in it. She's tired of taking the prescribed meds and their horrible side effects. What are marijuana's horrible side effects (besides paranoia lol)?

15. This is going to be an easier "sell" than you thought! Diabetes responds very well to CBD- which won't get Mom high! :D Here's a list of CBD strains-

What Are High CBD Marijuana Strains? | Potfessor.com

Hon, it is snowing and blowing here, big time! Power keeps flickering! :( (Snow day at my school tomorrow!) So I am going to do this the quickest way- just dump what I have on diabetes and let you sort it out. But cannabidiol/ CBD is what she needs! - Granny :wave:

Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes (abst - 2004)
    Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes -- Liou et al. 45 (5): 860 -- ARVO Meeting Abstracts

The effect of WIN 55,212-2, a cannabinoid agonist, on tactile allodynia in diabetic rats.
    (abst – 2004) The effect of WIN 55,212-2, a cannabinoid agon... [Neurosci Lett. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice (full - 2005) Cannabidiol Arrests Onset of Autoimmune Diabetes in NOD Mice

Activation of the Peripheral Endocannabinoid System in Human Obesity
    (full - 2005) Activation of the Peripheral Endocannabinoid System in Human Obesity

Gpr40 Gene Expression in Human Pancreas and Insulinoma. (abst – 2005)
    http://medical-journals.healia.com/...e-expression-in-human-pancreas-and-insulinoma

The Ffa Receptor Gpr40 Links Hyperinsulinemia, Hepatic Steatosis, and Impaired Glucose Homeostasis in Mouse. (abst – 2005)
    http://medical-journals.healia.com/...sis-and-impaired-glucose-homeostasis-in-mouse

Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes (full - 2006) Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes

Regulation, Function, and Dysregulation of Endocannabinoids in Models of Adipose and ß-Pancreatic Cells and in Obesity and Hyperglycemia (full - 2006)
    Regulation, Function, and Dysregulation of Endocannabinoids in Models of Adipose and

Weight Control in Individuals With Diabetes (full - 2006)
    Weight Control in Individuals With Diabetes

Changes in endocannabinoid and palmitoylethanolamide levels in eye tissues of patients with diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration. (abst – 2006) Changes in endocann... [Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Expression of the Gene for a Membrane-bound Fatty Acid Receptor in the Pancreas and Islet Cell Tumours in Humans: Evidence for Gpr40 Expression in Pancreatic Beta Cells and Implications for Insulin Secretion. (abst – 2006)
    http://medical-journals.healia.com/...-cells-and-implications-for-insulin-secretion

The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therapies
    (abst - 2006) ingentaconnect The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therap...

Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says
    (news - 2006) Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy (news – 2006)
    Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy

Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention (news – 2006)
    Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention ( A compound in marijuana has been found ...)

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Getting Eye On Cannabinoids (news - 2006)
    Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, legalise]

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

Compound found in marijuana may defend against diabetic retinopathy (news – 2006)
    Compound found in marijuana may defend against diabetic retinopathy

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice (full - 2007)
    http://safeaccess.ca/research/pdf/WeissCBD_ArrestsDiabetesNeuropharmacology2007.pdf

Expression of Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors in Models of Diabetic Neuropathy
    (full - 2007)
    Expression of Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors in Models of Diabetic Neuropathy

Cannabidiol attenuates high-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption (full - 2007) http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2228254&tool=pmcentrez

US Patent Application 20070099987 - Treating or preventing diabetes with cannabidiol
    (full – 2007) Treating or preventing diabetes with cannabidiol - US Patent Application 20070099987 Full Text

Role of cannabinoid CB2 receptors in glucose homeostasis in rats (abst – 2007)
    ScienceDirect.com - European Journal of Pharmacology - Role of cannabinoid CB2 receptors in glucose homeostasis in rats

The synthetic cannabinoid HU-210 attenuates neural damage in diabetic mice and hyperglycemic pheochromocytoma PC12 cells (abst - 2007) The synthetic cannabinoid HU-210 attenuates neural damage in diabetic mice and hyperglycemic pheochromocytoma PC12 cells.

Anticoagulant Effects of a Cannabis Extract in an Obese Rat Model (abst - 2007)
    Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.

Mediation of Cannabidiol anti-inflammation in the Retina by Equilibrative Nucleoside Transporter and A2A Adenosine Receptor (full - 2008) Mediation of Cannabidiol anti-inflammation in the Retina by Equilibrative Nucleoside Transporter and A2A Adenosine Receptor*

The Role of Adipocyte Insulin Resistance in the Pathogenesis of Obesity-Related Elevations in Endocannabinoids (full – 2008)
    The Role of Adipocyte Insulin Resistance in the Pathogenesis of Obesity-Related Elevations in Endocannabinoids

GPR119, a novel G protein-coupled receptor target for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and obesity (full - 2008) GPR119, a novel G protein-coupled receptor target for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and obesity

Endogenous and synthetic agonists of GPR119 differ in signalling pathways and their effects on insulin secretion in MIN6c4 insulinoma cells. (full – 2008)
    Endogenous and synthetic agonists of GPR119 differ in signalling pathways and their effects on insulin secretion in MIN6c4 insulinoma cells

Endocannabinoid Dysregulation in the Pancreas and Adipose Tissue of Mice Fed With a High-fat Diet (full - 2008) Obesity - Endocannabinoid Dysregulation in the Pancreas and Adipose Tissue of Mice Fed With a High-fat Diet

Neuroprotective effects of cannabidiol in endotoxin-induced uveitis: critical role of p38 MAPK activation. (full - 2008) Neuroprotective effects of cannabidiol in endotoxin-induced uveitis: critical role of p38 MAPK activation

Endocannabinoids and the Control of Energy Homeostasis (full – 2008)
    Endocannabinoids and the Control of Energy Homeostasis

Mediation of Cannabidiol Anti-inflammation in the Retina by Equilibrative Nucleoside Transporter and A2A Adenosine Receptor (full – 2008) Mediation of Cannabidiol Anti-inflammation in the Retina by Equilibrative Nucleoside Transporter and A2A Adenosine Receptor

Presence of functional cannabinoid receptors in human endocrine pancreas.
    (abst – 2008) Presence of functional cannabinoid receptors in... [Diabetologia. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development. (full - 2009) Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development

Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs. (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs

Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor Potentiates Obesity-Associated Inflammation, Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis (full - 2009) Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor Potentiates Obesity-Associated Inflammation, Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis

The endocanabinnoid system and diabetes - critical analyses of studies conducted with rimonabant (full - 2009) The endocanabinnoid system and diabetes - critical analyses of studies conducted with rimonabant

Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocyte

Anti-inflammatory effect of palmitoylethanolamide on human adipocytes. (abst – 2009)
    Anti-inflammatory effect of palmitoy... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stres

Cannabis plant extracts could potentially form the basic ingredients for a market-leading diabetes drug (news – 2009)
    Cannabis plant extracts could potentially form the basic ingredients for a market-leading diabetes drug, the scientist who developed a former world-beating treatment for the condition believes. - Free Online Library

Medical Marijuana and Diabetes, Adult Onset (news – 2009)
    https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/view/23?ailment=diabetes-adult-onset

Expression and function of cannabinoid receptors in mouse islets. (full – 2010)
    http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/islets/LiISLETS2-5.pdf

Cannabinoid-mediated modulation of neuropathic pain and microglial accumulation in a model of murine type I diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain (full - 2010)
    Cannabinoid-mediated modulation of neuropathic pain and microglial accumulation in a model of murine type I diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain

Cannabinoid-induced apoptosis in immune cells as a pathway to immunosuppression. (full - 2010) Cannabinoid-induced apoptosis in immune cells as a pathway to immunosuppression

Cannabinoid Receptor 1 Blockade Ameliorates Albuminuria in Experimental Diabetic Nephropathy (full – 2010)
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/4/1046.full?sid=0bc8e3fa-5275-4b19-8acc-4aec5dfac384

Inhibitor of fatty acid amide hydrolase normalizes cardiovascular function in hypertension without adverse metabolic effects. (full – 2010)
    NOVEL INHIBITOR OF FATTY ACID AMIDE HYDROLASE NORMALIZES CARDIOVASCULAR FUNCTION IN HYPERTENSION WITHOUT ADVERSE METABOLIC EFFECTS

Cannabinoid Receptors are Coupled to Stimulation of Insulin Secretion from Mouse MIN6 β-cells (full – 2010)
    http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...e=254555&ProduktNr=224332&filename=320527.pdf

Differential alterations of the concentrations of endocannabinoids and related lipids in the subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese diabetic patients (full - 2010) Lipids in Health and Disease | Full text | Differential alterations of the concentrations of endocannabinoids and related lipids in the subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese diabetic patients

Cannabinoid receptor stimulation impairs mitochondrial biogenesis in mouse white adipose tissue, muscle, and liver: the role of eNOS, p38 MAPK, and AMPK pathways.
    (full – 2010) http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/11/2826.long#sec-25

Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes. (full - 2010) Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes

Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy
    (full - 2010) http://www.natap.org/2010/newsUpdates/marijuana.pdf

Rehashing endocannabinoid antagonists: can we selectively target the periphery to safely treat obesity and type 2 diabetes? (full – 2010) http://www.jci.org/articles/view/44099?search[abstract_text]=&search[article_text]=cannabinoid&search[authors_text]=&search[fpage]=&search[title_text]=&search[volume]=

Differential alterations of the concentrations of endocannabinoids and related lipids in the subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese diabetic patients. (full – 2010)
    Differential alterations of the concentrations of endocannabinoids and related lipids in the subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese diabetic patients

Diabetic retinopathy: Role of inflammation and potential therapies for anti-inflammation.
    (link toPDF – 2010)
    http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=abstr...=or&q2=cannabis&f2=all&recNo=75&uiLanguage=en

Novel GPR119 agonist AS1535907 contributes to first-phase insulin secretion in rat perfused pancreas and diabetic db/db mice. (abst – 2010) Novel GPR119 agonist AS1535907 co... [Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

AS1907417, a novel GPR119 agonist, as an insulinotropic and β-cell preservative agent for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. (abst – 2010) AS1907417, a novel GPR119 agonist... [Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Deficiency of CB2 cannabinoid receptor in mice improves insulin sensitivity but increases food intake and obesity with age. (abst – 2010) Deficiency of CB2 cannabinoid receptor in mice improves insulin sensitivity but increases food intake and obesity with age - Springer

G1359A polymorphism in the cannabinoid receptor-1 gene is associated with metabolic syndrome in the Chinese Han population. (abst – 2010)
    G1359A polymorphism in the cannabinoid receptor... [Arch Med Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

GPR119 agonists for the potential treatment of type 2 diabetes and related metabolic disorders. (abst – 2010) GPR119 agonists for the potential treatment of ty... [Vitam Horm. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010)
    Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts

Cannabinoid receptor 2 signaling does not modulate atherogenesis in mice (full– 2011)
    Cannabinoid Receptor 2 Signaling Does Not Modulate Atherogenesis in Mice

Role for cannabinoid receptors in human proximal tubular hypertrophy. (full– 2011)
    http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?DOI=000323997&typ=pdf

Central Endocannabinoid Signaling Regulates Hepatic Glucose Production and Systemic Lipolysis (abst – 2011) http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/60/4/1055.abstract

Cannabinoids Inhibit Insulin Receptor Signaling in Pancreatic β-Cells (abst – 2011)
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.or...ract?sid=0bc8e3fa-5275-4b19-8acc-4aec5dfac384

Acute cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) modulation influences insulin sensitivity by an effect outside the central nervous system in mice. (abst – 2011) Acute cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) modula... [Diabetologia. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid receptor agonists and antagonists stimulate insulin secretion from isolated human islets of Langerhans. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Cannabinoid receptor agonists and antagonists stimulate insulin secretion from isolated human islets of Langerhan

A role for the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55 in the islets of Langerhans.
    (abst – 2011) A role for the putative cannabinoid receptor GP... [J Endocrinol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Protective Role of Cannabinoid Receptor Type 2 in a Mouse Model of Diabetic Nephropathy. (abst – 2011) Protective role of cannabinoid receptor type 2 in a... [Diabetes. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids and Endocannabinoids in Metabolic Disorders with Focus on Diabetes. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in metabolic disorders with focus on diabete

Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic s... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Win 55,212-2 reduces cardiac ischaemia-reperfusion injury in zucker diabetic fatty rats: role of cb2 receptors and cardiac inos/enos expression. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Cannabinoid/agonist WIN 55,212-2 reduces cardiac ischaemia–reperfusion injury in Zucker diabetic fatty rats: role of CB2 receptors and iNOS/eNO

GPR119 Regulates Murine Glucose Homeostasis Through Incretin Receptor-Dependent and Independent Mechanisms (abst – 2011)
    GPR119 Regulates Murine Glucose Homeostasis Through Incretin Receptor-Dependent and Independent Mechanisms

Cannabidiol Dampens Streptozotocin-Induced Retinal Inflammation by Targeting of Microglial Activation (abst - 2011)
    Cannabidiol Dampens Streptozotocin-Induced Retinal Inflammation by Targeting of Microglial Activation -- Liou et al. 52 (6): 1002 -- ARVO Meeting Abstracts

The cytoprotective effects of oleoylethanolamide in insulin-secreting cells do not require activation of GPR119. (abst – 2011) The cytoprotective effects of oleoylethanolam... [Br J Pharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The Endocannabinoid System: Plant-Derived Cannabinoids in Diabetes and Diabetic Complications. (abst – 2011) The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived can... [Am J Pathol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

TAK-875, an orally available G protein-coupled receptor 40/free fatty acid receptor 1 agonist, enhances glucose-dependent insulin secretion and improves both postprandial and fasting hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic rats. (abst – 2011) TAK-875, an orally available G protein-... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Takeda moves potential first-in-class diabetes drug into phase III (news – 2011)
    Takeda moves potential first-in-class diabetes drug into phase III | Pharmafile

The cytoprotective effects of oleoylethanolamide in insulin-secreting cells do not require activation of GPR119. (full - 2012)
    The cytoprotective effects of oleoylethanolamide in insulin-secreting cells do not require activation of GPR119 - Stone - 2012 - British Journal of Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

The L-α-lysophosphatidylinositol/GPR55 system and its potential role in human obesity.
    (full – 2012) The l-

Endocannabinoids measurement in human saliva as potential biomarker of obesity.
    (full – 2012) Endocannabinoids Measurement in Human Saliva as Potential Biomarker of Obesity

Therapeutic utility of palmitoylethanolamide in the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with various pathological conditions: a case series (full – 2012)
    Therapeutic utility of palmitoylethanolamide in the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with various pathological conditions: a case series

Type 2 Diabetes Associated Changes in the Plasma Non-Esterified Fatty Acids, Oxylipins and Endocannabinoids (full – 2012) Type 2 Diabetes Associated Changes in the Plasma Non-Esterified Fatty Acids, Oxylipins and Endocannabinoids

Metabolic effects of n-3 PUFA as phospholipids are superior to triglycerides in mice fed a high-fat diet: possible role of endocannabinoids. (full – 2012) Metabolic Effects of n-3 PUFA as Phospholipids Are Superior to Triglycerides in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet: Possible Role of Endocannabinoids

Islet protection and amelioration of diabetes type 2 in Psammomys obesus by treatment with cannabidiol (link to PDF - 2012)
    http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=abstr...1=or&q2=cannabis&f2=all&recNo=3&uiLanguage=en

Characterization of cannabinoid-induced relief of neuropathic pain in rat models of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. (abst – 2012) Characterization of cannabinoid-indu... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Overexpression of cannabinoid CB2 receptor in the brain induces hyperglycaemia and a lean phenotype in adult mice. (abst – 2012) Overexpression of cannabinoid CB2 receptor... [J Neuroendocrinol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Induction of Glucose Intolerance by Acute Administration of Rimonabant. (abst – 2012)
    Induction of glucose intolerance by acute admin... [Pharmacology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

TAK-875 versus placebo or glimepiride in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a phase 2, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. (abst – 2012)
    TAK-875 versus placebo or glimepiride in type 2 diabe... [Lancet. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Stimulating beta cell replication and improving islet graft function by GPR119 agonists.
    (abst – 2012) Stimulating beta cell replication and improving ... [Transpl Int. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Assignment, Flexible Dose, Efficacy Study of Nabilone as Adjuvant in the Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain Using an Enriched Enrollment Randomized Withdrawal Design (S38.003) (abst – 2012) A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Assignment, Flexible Dose, Efficacy Study of Nabilone as Adjuvant in the Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain Using an Enriched Enrollment Randomized Withdrawal Design (S38.003) --

The Novel Reversible Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase Inhibitor ST4070 Increases Endocannabinoid Brain Levels and Counteracts Neuropathic Pain in Different Animal Models (abst – 2012)
    The Novel Reversible Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase Inhibitor ST4070 Increases Endocannabinoid Brain Levels and Counteracts Neuropathic Pain in Different Animal Models

G1359A polymorphism in the cannabinoid receptor-1 gene is associated with the presence of coronary artery disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. (abst – 2012)
    G1359A polymorphism in the cannabinoid recept... [J Investig Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

A Multiple-Ascending-Dose Study to Evaluate Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacodynamics of a Novel GPR40 Agonist, TAK-875, in Subjects With Type 2 Diabetes. (abst – 2012) A multiple-ascending-dose study to evalu... [Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Optimization of (2,3-dihydro-1-benzofuran-3-yl)acetic acids: discovery of a non-free fatty acid-like, highly bioavailable G protein-coupled receptor 40/free fatty acid receptor 1 agonist as a glucose-dependent insulinotropic agent. (abst – 2012)
    Optimization of (2,3-dihydro-1-benzofuran-3-yl)ac... [J Med Chem. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

An enriched-enrolment, randomized withdrawal, flexible-dose, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel assignment efficacy study of nabilone as adjuvant in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. (abst – 2012) An enriched-enrolment, randomized withdrawal, flexible-... [Pain. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal muscle and metabolic adaptations to exercise: potential implications for the treatment of obesity. (abst – 2012)
    The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal ... [Obes Rev. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Peripheral antinociceptive effect of anandamide and drugs that affect the endocannabinoid system on the formalin test in normal and streptozotocin-diabetic rats.
    (abst – 2012) Peripheral antinociceptive effect of anand... [Neuropharmacology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Chronic activation of cannabinoid receptors in vitro does not compromise mouse islet function. (abst – 2012) Chronic activation of cannabinoid receptors ... [Clin Sci (Lond). 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal muscle and metabolic adaptations to exercise: potential implications for the treatment of obesity (abst – 2012) The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal muscle and metabolic adaptations to exercise: potential implications for the treatment of obesity - Heyman - 2012 - Obesity Reviews - Wiley Online Library

Synthetic cannabinoid could treat pain in diabetes patients (news – 2012)
    medwireNews - Diabetes - Synthetic cannabinoid could treat pain in diabetes patients

Study: Synthetic THC Analogue Mitigates Diabetic Neuropathy, Is 'Well Tolerated' In Patients (news – 2012) Study: Synthetic THC Analogue Mitigates Diabetic Neuropathy, Is 'Well Tolerated' In Patients

New drug offers novel pain management therapy for diabetics. (news - 2012)
    New drug offers novel pain management therapy for diabetics. - Free Online Library

16. granny my mother was prescribed for a while and didn't have any permanent affects just pain toleration and inebriation.

I think the way to go would be raw cannabis, but again, illegality.

that's a shit ton of info. as right as some or most of it may be, my mother is a very unique case. her body is very prone and susceptible to everything around her and it does truly seems that MMJ can't be a permanent solution.

not to mention we don't have the financial support nor support from the government.

17. Granny, thank you so much for all that info. I'm definitely going to show her all this and I'll probably give her your email so if she has any more questions she can ask someone with knowledge. :)

18. What's wrong with that?
    It's why most people smoke it.

What were you expecting?
    A cure?

19. she tries to stay an active person, but at her stage of life it's difficult to get work done, even though she needs to.

it would be amazing if we could get some plants up for juicing, but alas...

20. Just amazing, as a type 1 diabetic it makes smoking everyday seem less bad. now my parents cant give as much shit about smoking.

19 btw and been smoking (vaping in the house) since before i was diagnosed so i cant comment on how it helped me i only stopped when i was in the hospital at first.