Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

depression

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by matthe, Nov 28, 2012.

1. So, big pharma meds are cool ddog? :)

Lots of people self-medicate with weed. Its kinda why this whole legalization movement is coming along in the US.

I am depressed. I self medicate with weed. I'm never going to big pharma : Disconnected or numbed emotion is one of the side effects a therapist told me I could have taking those meds. I'd rather be depressed than an automaton.

The "real problem" - please tell me what it is for depression : can you even make a blanket statement for everyone?

2. Weed does not help depression

3. This is completely in my experience. Your situation could be unique, I'm not sure. However, this is how I see it if I'm in a bad mood without getting high.

If you feel depressed without smoking, you might have something bothering you and you might actually be a bit depressed. Most things that affect your mood are difficult to pinpoint, and and you definitely wont be able to pin point what ever is bothering you if you're stoned as balls all day.

I felt this way for a while too, all I had to do was quit smoking for two days, go on a couple walks (extremely therapeutic) to clear my head and make final decisions/realize a few things. Boom, mood back to normal high or not. Take a break, get your head together and you will feel better.

4. #24 ddog7x, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
    First off, don't be so fucking condescending and don't you dare put words in my mouth.

Second, his problem is not necessarily depression, it's almost certainly attitude and addiction. His attitude is spectacularly awful. Depression does not create the issue of not being able to hang out with anyone unless you are smoking/drinking - addiction and habituation do. He may or may not be clinically depressed or have whatever mental problems, but it is undoubtedly very unhealthy for him to self medicate with an illegal, unregulated substance for a problem he apparently can't even identify. And these problems are apparently only present after a year and half of smoking multiple times daily. As far as we can tell, he has not even been to a doctor about this. That isn't self medication. That's... I don't even know. Idiocy? Laziness? Prejudice? A combination? Whatever the case, definitely not smart.

>it's kind why this whole legalization movement is coming along in the US

Here you are, making a blanket statement as to why people support legalization, barely a paragraph before telling me off for "making a blanket statement" about depression.

>i'm never going to big pharma Disconnected or numbed emotion is one of the side effects a therapist told me I could have taking those meds, I'd rather be depressed than an automaton

Yet another blanket statement, this time about the side effects that apparently affect every single person who uses any anti-depression meds from "big pharma" based on a conversation with your therapist.

5. Dont let the high control your life

6. fixed that for you.

7. That's a problem within you. Cannabis does not make you have withdraws. You just have to relax and live everyday happy and look at the bright side of things. There's a lot of people that can't smoke all the time and they're fine. Take me for example.

8. I find i am very angry to every one the day after i am dry. But if i make it over that 1 day hump and hit the gym quick then i get back in the swing of things

9. That's not what I said.
    You're saying people that smoke avoid all their problems? That's a pretty big assumption there. What's your point about it being illegal, should I get drunk and smoke tobacco every night instead? Its pot man, not crack

10. Well, have you ever heard of my friend Jesus Christ?
    *a great amount of sarcasm*

Just relax, and realize there are far worse situations than you..you're just a product of an animal. At least you aren't being ruthlessly slaughtered at a butchery so you can be enjoyed at someone else's forgotten munchies. This is life, just relax. There are many people out there in the same position as you, so my best advice is you're not alone. Make the best out of being able to think at the intellectual level we can.

11. I beg to differ sir.

The perceived effects of smoked cannabis on patients with multiple sclerosis.
    (abst - 1997) Clinical Studies and Case Reports
    Anxiety with Depression Research Review (full - 2000)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/AnxietyWithDepressionResearchReview.pdf
    Therapeutic Aspects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids (full - 2001)
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/178/2/107.pdf
    Association between cannabis use and depression may not be causal, study says
    (news - 2004)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine
    Cannabinoids promote hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005) JCI - Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects
    Antidepressant-like activity by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis
    (full - 2005)
    Antidepressant-like activity and modulation of brain monoaminergic transmission by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis
    Depression in Parkinson's disease is related to a genetic polymorphism of the cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) (full - 2005) The Pharmacogenomics Journal - Depression in Parkinson's disease is related to a genetic polymorphism of the cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1)
    Antidepressant-like Activity and Modulation of Brain Monoaminergic Transmission by Blockade of Anandamide Hydrolysis. (full – 2005) Antidepressant-like activity and modulation of brain monoaminergic transmission by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis
    Decreased Depression in Marijuana Users (full – 2005)
    http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/WOD/WPS3-MedMj/DecreasedDepressionInMjUsers05.pdf
    Depression: URB597 increases endocannabinoids in brain (news – 2005)
    Depression: URB597 increases endocannabinoids in brain
    New Antidepressant Drug Increases 'Brain's Own Cannabis' (news - 2005)
    New Antidepressant Drug Increases 'Brain's Own Cannabis'
    Cannabis' Acts as Antidepressant (news - 2005)
    'Cannabis' Acts as Antidepressant: The Hempire - [cannabis, uk]
    Cannabis And Depression Research (news - 2005)
    Cannabis And Depression Research: The Hempire - [cannabis, uk]
    High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats (news – 2005)
    High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood
    Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain (news – 2005)
    (may need registration) Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain - health - 13 October 2005 - New Scientist
    Surprising Brain Effects From Pot-Like Drug (news – 2005)
    Surprising Brain Effects From Pot-Like Drug
    Decreased depression in marijuana users. (full - 2006)
    http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/WOD/WPS3-MedMj/DecreasedDepressionInMjUsers05.pdf
    The synthetic cannabinoid nabilone improves pain and symptom management in cancer patients (abst - 2006) Clinical Studies and Case Reports
    Marijuana use and depression among adults: Testing for causal associations.
    (abst - 2006)
    Marijuana use and depression among adults: Testing... [Addiction. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Do patients use marijuana as an antidepressant? (abst - 2006)
    Do patients use marijuana as an antidepressant? [Depression. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI
    A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression
    (full - 2007) A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression
    Chronologically overlapping occurrences of nicotine-induced anxiety- and depression-related behavioral symptoms: effects of anxiolytic and cannabinoid drugs (full - 2007) Chronologically overlapping occurrences of nicotine-induced anxiety- and depression-related behavioral symptoms: effects of anxiolytic and cannabinoid drugs
    Cannabinoids elicit antidepressant-like behavior and activate serotonergic neurons through the medial prefrontal cortex. (full - 2007) Cannabinoids Elicit Antidepressant-Like Behavior and Activate Serotonergic Neurons through the Medial Prefrontal Cortex
    Antidepressant-like activity of the fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibitor URB597 in a rat model of chronic mild stress. (abst – 2007) Antidepressant-like activity of the fatty ac... [Biol Psychiatry. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    Dronabinol and marijuana in HIV-positive marijuana smokers: caloric intake, mood, and sleep. (abst - 2007) Clinical Studies and Case Reports
    Marijuana-Like Brain Chemicals Work As Antidepressant (news - 2007)
    Marijuana-like Brain Chemicals Work As Antidepressant
    Marijuana chemical may treat depression (news - 2007)
    Marijuana chemical may treat depression: study | Reuters
    Cannabis: Potent Anti-Depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses (news - 2007) Cannabis: Potent Anti-depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses
    Synthetic form of THC is an effective anti-depressant at low doses (news - 2007)
    Synthetic form of THC is an effective anti-depressant at low doses
    Rimonabant: safety issues (news – 2007) http://www.xagena.it/news/medicinenews_net_news/09a11be6989d5a0e438dd9e589210a79.htm
    Treating depression with cannabinoids (full - 2008)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/journal/en_2008_02_2.pdf
    Nicotine (NC)-induced "depressive" behavioral symptoms and effects of antidepressants including cannabinoids (CBs). (full – 2008) https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jts/33/5/33_5_555/_pdf
    Circulating endocannabinoids and N-acyl ethanolamines are differentially regulated in major depression and following exposure to social stress. (full – 2009)
    Circulating Endocannabinoids and N-Acyl Ethanolamines Are Differentially Regulated in Major Depression and Following Exposure to Social Stress
    Animal research highlights a therapeutic potential of cannabinoids for the treatment of depression (full - 2008) http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/journal/en_2008_02_1.pdf
    Impairments in Endocannabinoid Signaling and Depressive Illness (full – 2009)
    JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Impairments in Endocannabinoid Signaling and Depressive Illness
    Protracted cannabinoid administration elicits antidepressant behavioral responses in rats: role of gender and noradrenergic transmission. (abst - 2009) How important are sex differences in cannabin... [Br J Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. (abst - 2009) Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. [Br J Psychiatry. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Medical Marijuana and Major Depression (news – 2009)
    https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/view/41?ailment=major-depression
    Antidepressant-like effect of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoids isolated from Cannabis sativa L. (full – 2010) Antidepressant-like effect of
    Brain CB2 Receptors: Implications for Neuropsychiatric Disorders (full – 2010)
    http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/3/8/2517/pdf
    Uni-Morbid and Co-Occurring Marijuana and Tobacco Use: Examination of Concurrent Associations with Negative Mood States (full – 2010) Uni-Morbid and Co-Occurring Marijuana and Tobacco Use: Examination of Concurrent Associations with Negative Mood States
    Genes differentially expressed in CB1 knockout mice: involvement in the depressive-like phenotype. (abst – 2010) Genes differentially expressed in C... [Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Deficiency in Endocannabinoid Signaling in the Nucleus Accumbens Induced by Chronic Unpredictable Stress (abst - 2010) Neuropsychopharmacology - Abstract of article: Deficiency in Endocannabinoid Signaling in the Nucleus Accumbens Induced by Chronic Unpredictable Stress
    Pharmacological exploitation of the endocannabinoid system: new perspectives for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders? (abst – 2010)
    Unbound MEDLINE : [Pharmacological exploitation of the endocannabinoid system: new perspectives for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders?
    Gadolinium-HU-308-incorporated micelles. (full – 2011)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK54067/pdf/CB2R-Gd-Micelles.pdf
    Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders. (abst – 2011)
    Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in m... [Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic s... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Cannabinoids and emotionality: a neuroanatomical perspective. (abst – 2011)
    Cannabinoids and emotionality: a neuroanatomica... [Neuroscience. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Testing bidirectional effects between cannabis use and depressive symptoms: moderation by the serotonin transporter gene (abst – 2011) Testing bidirectional effects between cannabis use and depressive symptoms: moderation by the serotonin transporter gene - Otten - 2011 - Addiction Biology - Wiley Online Library
    Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011)
    Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library
    A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3 (news – 2011) Schizophrenia Research Forum: A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3
    Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain (news – 2011)
    Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain - Wellsphere
    Natural Herbs That Increase Serotonin (news – 2011)
    Natural Herbs That Increase Serotonin | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Research provides new clues to understand link between deficits of AGPO-3, depression
    (news – 2011) Research provides new clues to understand link between deficits of AGPO-3, depression
    High on Life? Medical Marijuana Laws and Suicide (full – 2012) http://ftp.iza.org/dp6280.pdf
    Serum contents of endocannabinoids are correlated with blood pressure in depressed women. (full – 2012) http://www.lipidworld.com/content/pdf/1476-511X-11-32.pdf
    Cannabinoid Receptor Genotype Moderation of the Effects of Childhood Physical Abuse on Anhedonia and Depression. (abst – 2012) Cannabinoid receptor genotype moderation... [Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Effect of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on behavioral despair and on presynaptic and postsynaptic serotonergic transmission. (abst – 2012)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.goHope that helps!v/pubmed/22386778
    Nature Against Depression. (abst – 2012) Nature against depression. [Curr Med Chem. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Lower levels of cannabinoid 1 receptor mRNA in female eating disorder patients: Association with wrist cutting as impulsive self-injurious behavior. (abst – 2012)
    Lower levels of cannabinoid 1 recep... [Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Expression pattern of the cannabinoid receptor genes in the frontal cortex of mood disorder patients and mice selectively bred for high and low fear. (abst – 2012) Expression pattern of the cannabinoid recept... [J Psychiatr Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    The combined effects of parental divorce and parental history of depression on cannabis use in young adults in France. (abst – 2012) The combined effects of parental divorce... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

12. Depression is now nonexistent due to this list. You're a saint!

13. #33 1sttimegrower, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
    Putting words in mine too here o.o

Go unwedge your underwear or w/e is pissing you off. :p

Pyron stated "Any time where you're using a substance as a medication for depression (other than prescribed anti-depressants) is an unhealthy habit, possibly an addiction"

Which you agreed with by your comment on passthebilly's post. And then enforced with your own "And if you are self medicating with an illegal substance and completely avoiding the real problem, that is very unhealthy. \t"

Since when was I discussing anything else? You seemed to agree with pyrons words, thus agreeing with his stance on taking "legal" antidepressants. Look at my first post - I already said its the OP's unhealthy habit causing any issues. More on the medicating issue later

About legalization, I was referencing the fact that its becoming widely accepts that marijuana has lots of good benefits, with little to no negative.

And what's this BS about my second "blanket" statement?

You are advocating drugs with very displeasing side effects, to my POV. I simply stated why not everyone would like to take such things, and why bud is a better alternative. Hence why some people prefer to medicate with it.

EDIT :

You sir, are a gigantic fail. His list states that marijuana may help with depression, nothing else.

14. Dude I also get this. I don't know why. I confessed to my parents recently that I do it and they weren't mad or disappointed but kind of just like a downer "Oh we figured" type scenario. The last time I smoked was in May and lately I've been wanting to do it again. In May I came off of 10 months of no smoking. I felt guilty afterwards and my anxiety increased. I don't know why and it makes me wonder that if I do it again sometime soon will it happen again? I don't know why it happens either. I think it's all in my head, but I can't shake it. I have the feeling that if I do it again I'll be lazy and my grades will drop and I'll have those feelings again, but like I said it's all in my head I think. I'd like to know why I get like this. Can anyone help me? It's why I quit for those 10 months in the first place. My anxiety and depression increased, but I want to be able to smoke again so somebody please help.

15. Self-experience outweighs any of those links. Obviously, there have been a numerous amount of people that smoke weed and ask questions about depression. What does a link truly mean when the life you live doesn't say the same exact thing as some link you copied off the internet? And I'm a gigantic fail?

16. Dude I also get this. I don't know why. I confessed to my parents recently that I do it and they weren't mad or disappointed but kind of just like a downer "Oh we figured" type scenario. The last time I smoked was in May and lately I've been wanting to do it again. In May I came off of 10 months of no smoking. I felt guilty afterwards and my anxiety increased. I don't know why and it makes me wonder that if I do it again sometime soon will it happen again? I don't know why it happens either. I think it's all in my head, but I can't shake it. I have the feeling that if I do it again I'll be lazy and my grades will drop and I'll have those feelings again, but like I said it's all in my head I think. I'd like to know why I get like this. Can anyone help me? It's why I quit for those 10 months in the first place. My anxiety and depression increased, but I want to be able to smoke again so somebody please help.

17. Giving credit where credit is due, thanks to grannystormcrow. I got the list from her.

18. You are if you refute scientific research without even reading anything o.o

I'm sorry, what's your beef with this(the links)? Are you depressed and does marijuana not help?

Well, here's a simple scenario to help you understand something...

I've been watching Hawking's into the universe; going to steal an example

Europa is a moon of jupiter. It is encased in a shell of ice.

However, due to gravitational forces, there may be enough energy to melt ice within the center, creating liquid water shielded from the vacuum of space with the posibility of a molten core.

Say life has begun there.

Say life is intelligent.

That life is surrounded by 15 miles of ice.

Does the universe exist for it? Nope. Yet that does not cause the universe to simply disappear - nor does it refute the idea that several trillions of life forms acknowledge the emptiness of space

Here's an example that pertains more-so to you :

Eskeemo lives in the direct center of the north pole. He is alone. He has no family, no contact with anyone, nothing; bear with me and ignore the obvious issues with this.

Now, to him everything is cold, and days are either extremely long or extremely short. He has no concept of hot days, of beaches, of anything of that sort.

To him, a summer day does not exist.

Yet, it exists for several BILLION other people.

I havn't read those studies, mainly because its a dam daunting list. Heck, even a few linked dont really pertain much to benefits with depression...

However, your ONE "case study" does not bear any weight against the hundreds or thousands of others that exist.

Brain chemistry is complex - you were simply unlucky that mmj does not produce enough benefit to combat depression - or whatever ailment you suffer from that you read mmj can help with.

Edit : many of those are probably scientific studies, and not links to some forum thread. You have to realize the weight behind any research (or lack thereof)

19. I could tell, but that doesn't change anything. Live life before you try to base your reality of life from some internet posts and statistics. So many people forget to experience life for their own..it's all subjective. Your life doesn't add up to a statistical conclusion to anything. Honestly, you're being naive. Everyone's life is different, and everyone's experience in life is different..so why try to point a list of links directed to one side as true-to-all results and conclusions?

20. Because those lists are:

A science, not posts.
    B Pertain to the majority, and thus can help guide the majority

No one is saying live life based on a regimen due to research saying how to live your life the best.

He simply posted links backing the idea that mmj can help with depression, and the chemical basis behind it.

I dont think he's the one being naive at all...