Depression or...?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Chikn_nuggr, Jan 23, 2017.

1. my eating habits have been really fucked lately, well it's been over a month so I guess it's been awhile.
    It's really hard for me to eat, I can go pretty much all day without eating. I don't get too hungry, if anything I'll feel slightly hungry but ignore it because I won't feel up to eating food or can't decide what it is I want to eat. I can eat while high, but through out most of the day I just don't eat. However I will have my days where the munchies hit real hard and I eat all day. At the end of the day I'm left feeling weak and so hungry I'm sick. Thing is I don't realize how hungry I am until I'm sick. Could this be because I've grown accustomed to eating while high or could this just be another symptom of depression?

• Like Like x 1
  2. sounds like depression maybe. i go most of my day without eating but when im done with work i eat a large meal and i get hungry. only time i never eat in a day is when i fall asleep waiting for parents to go to bed so i can get something to eat.

3. Depression can definitely cause loss of appetite like that in many people. Hunger is physical, appetite is mental, and you seem to be lacking in the latter, especially without weed. Some heavy smokers do find it harder to eat while sober, myself included, though I have GI issues. Still, this seems to be fairly significant, especially to have gone on over a month. If you have depression, this could be due to that. Though if you've had depression for awhile, and never had loss of appetite before, it could be due to something else. The list of physical and psychiatric ailments that can cause it is nearly endless. If you're losing weight, or this doesn't improve in a couple weeks, I'd recommend getting checked out. I lost nearly forty pounds ignoring my problems for months before getting medical attention. That was stupid and I suffered more due to my denial. Hope shit improves for you, dude.

4. Its hard to say, because our stomachs get used to these massive, massive portions we shove into it and then when we give it time to readjust to a regular portion, we eat maybe 1/4 of what we normally would and feel almost bloated.

Loss of appetite can really be so many different things though

5. Cheer up and get moving.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. At the end of the day you choose what you want it to be.

7. Why did you stop smoking?

8. I hate chalking up anything as a 'symptom of depression' just cause, what's that supposed to do? You're not hungry because you're not hungry. In my opinion, best to leave scapegoat words at the door and just walk to the kitchen and eat something.

9. Western society is obsessed with this concept of depression.... You're not eating, your depressed. You don't have a job, you are depressed. You don't have a girlfriend, you are depressed. You don't like sitting inside all day listening to boring lectures, you're depressed. Wait, I'm a doctor. I have a pharmaceutical for that.

Perhaps, we live in an artificial, unnatural world..... A society behind computer screens and phones. A world that focuses on gyms instead of outdoor activities. A world that supports cubicles instead of working the land. A world that loves social media, not spending time with peers. A society that values instant gratification, not accomplishing goals. A world of consumer desires instead of personal achievements. Perhaps, they have it all backwards...... Are people sick or is our culture? Better yet, does our culture make people sick or do sick people contribute to a sick culture?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Not eating or eating to much are a symptom of my depression, but I have an ED too so that might be why. It's kind of weird people have set times of day to eat and need to eat together. Idk, i'm good on one normal sized meal and maybe a snack/coffee if I'm having a good day. Heavy depression days, either eat anything and everything or nothing at all. Compare your current habits with past habits and any other changes that have happened since you started to notice a lack of appetite.

11. I have depression, and i have exactly the same thing. I do eat a lot when im high aswell, like snacks and sometimes food if i have some. Im normally too lazy to prepare a fucking meal for myself, so eat unhealty snacks a lot.. still 40kg 150cm :D

12. #13 AngryPirate, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Are you active or sedentary though? Typically, if you're pretty active and straining your muscles throughout the day, your appetite will naturally grow to want to compensate for the calories you're burning. If you're sedentary, it's easier to poorly "train" your body to go longer stints without eating, and which isn't healthy.

The unhealthy/sugary stuff isn't helping either. I know people think that because they don't eat much (or gain weight), that's it's fine to primarily eat junk/snack foods... but the reality is that you're still probably doing a lot of damage to your body by only putting fats/carbs in it and lacking vitamins, etc. It'll catch up eventually. Better to change your habits now. It only gets harder with age.

Oh, and one last thing. It's very possible that your depression is in part due to your eating habits and lack of nutrition. If you don't eat much, but then stuff your body with carbs/sugars, you're just taking your body on a rollercoaster ride (sugar highs and crashes). Change your eating habits for 1 week and see how you feel mood wise. I bet it improves.

• Like Like x 2