Depressing Environmental Thoughts

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Dub C, Jun 12, 2022.

1. I've recently moved to a new development in Florida from Illinois and just had a thought the other day. I saw a couple little lizards scurrying about on the ground and that brought to mind the question of how many of their sisters, brothers and cousins have been wiped out by the pesticides and fertilizers that people feel the need to put on their lawns. I'd be willing to bet that entire species have been driven extinct by these practices. It is very unfortunate that people feel they have to use pesticides and fertilizers. Back in the day, when I was a kid me and my brother used to go down into our window wells and those of our neighbors to rescue amphibians that had fallen down there, mostly toads, but occasionally some frogs and salamanders. I have seen some toads in recent years, but I haven't seen frogs or salamanders in at least 20 years, possibly more. It's very sad.

I also think about all the plastic everywhere. Even if placed in the recycling bin correctly, only about 10% of plastic actually gets recycled. The rest just ends up in local water and eventually into the ocean. It gets into the stomachs of all the animals along the way, and finds its way into our stomachs via the animals we eat. Plastic could be the undoing of the whole Earth.

I hate all the ignorant assholes who just throw garbage on the ground when they're done with it. I don't understand littering and never will. I have never done it in my life and don't understand how people are so lazy and stupid. I always tried to be environmentally friendly, walking when I could and never using plastic bags. also, never using elevators and using air conditioning very sparingly (another thing I don't get is that even on really nice days in the 70s with a nice breeze, I hardly ever see houses with the windows open anymore. Is it really necessary to use the AC in that case? Getting some fresh air in the house feels and smells nicer anyway, is far cheaper and is much more environmentally friendly. I had a former neighbor who used to turn the air on when it got into the 60s. That makes no sense whatsoever to me). I also used to go around the neighborhood and pick up garbage and recycling because I just couldn't stand to see the place where I live looking like that.Unfortunately, this since my spinal court injury, being quadriplegic is not environmentally friendly. If I had the ability, I would still go out and pick up refuse will easily thrown on the ground. I would also like to go out and plant trees and such if I could.

I really think humans are a plague on the planet. Think about all the species that have been driven into endangerment or even extinction by people. The list is long and unfortunately will continue to grow. I don't think there's anything that can be done, although I sincerely wish things would get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Microplastics found in human blood for first time

I feel the same way as you do. It's been something I've been thinking about for a while now.

I've had this conversation with my mother and she will say something like
    "I don't think my few pieces of plastic I waste isn't going to make a big difference in the grand scheme"

but the issue is tens of millions of people think the same way, and that adds up.

i've been getting tired of living a wasteful existence

much like if you commit violence against someone, you also commit violence against yourself -

if you damage the ecosystem you're only hurting yourself in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. They're building roads with plastic and found microplastic everywhere.

4. Just watched NatGeo on YT, about how tropical pets are being discarded in the Fl. swamps, and its total war with tigers, anacondas 25ft long huge crocs

take cars of yourself

good luck

5. I knew about Burmese pythons and that there had been limited incidents of exotic animals like anacondas and king cobras turning up every now and then, but I never knew about tigers. Well, there may not be any big cats in 50 year (another heartbreaking development). We need to keep them alive. I find poachers so disgusting. I wish there would be far less of poachers killing endangered animals and far more of endangered animals killing poachers. I also knew that far southern Florida, like the Everglades, is the only place where alligators and crocodiles naturally coexist, but 25 foot long ones? Are those the nasty saltwater crocodiles from Australia? I think I am probably north of most of that. I'm between Orlando and Tampa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. A few thoughts, only two out of the five kinds of plastic can be recycled. If a plastic in the recycle bin has any visible dirt or something on the plastic, it can't be recycled. And I've slept much better over the years by basically ignoring things I can't change or have an effect on. The war in the Ukraine? Yup, I'm sad the Russians are being dicks, but I can't do anything about it so it is what it is. The environment? We actually are one of the world leaders in clean air/water. You want change? Convince China and India to put a freaking filter on their smokestacks. Those two countries create an enormous effect on their own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I completely agree.it's not just the war in Ukraine. There are wars all around the world that the media rarely if ever mentions.when was the last time CNN or anyone covered Saudi Arabia bombing the shit out of Yemen? I guess that's brown people killing brown people so the media can't blame white people and thus never mention it. Besides, Muslims killing Muslims is just the way of things.

Yes, China and India are two of the world's biggest polluters, especially China. And does the CCP care one bit about destroying the environment? I doubt it. The CCP is completely evil in every way.

We certainly are one of the world leaders with our clean air and water. But we can always do better. I wish everyone in the world would just be considerate.

• Winner Winner x 1