Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

dense bud

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by enjoyandlive, Jan 15, 2014.

1. my nugget that was a 'dime' from my dealer is real dense, and decently sticky. It weighed in on my scale as 0.8 grams. will this lower when I grind it up 

2. Depends on your grinder. If you have a kief catcher, then yes by a tiny amount. If not, then no.

If you had a pie and ran it through a blender, it would weigh the same. :smoke:

3. for some reason my brain keeps wanting to tell me that the pie would be lower because it has less mass lol

4. #4 Numbnuts, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    Yes, it's a scientifically known fact that the density of a bud is directly proportional to how much evaporates into thin air whilst in the grinder. First you must grade your bud on the Mohs scale, then use the following formula to work out exactly how much is lost:

Retained % of bud = [(11-Mohs rating)/10]*100

Alternatively, you could realise that grinding bud does nothing to change the weight of it.

5. If you have a peeled orange and you break it into 6 slices, will it weigh the same? Of course it will.

If you have a tree and put it through a shredder, would it weight the same, as long as all the wood chips go out the other end of the chipper it will. But it will probably take up less space.

6. yea for some reason i thought itd change i zoned the fuck out

7. Well the only negative about grinding s the crystals get caught in it, so It's best not to grind unless rolling.

8. #8 .collegekid., Jan 16, 2014
    grinding=more surface area . so no its usually best to grind.

9. There's pro's and cons, in my situation it isn't if I want maximum potency.

10. #10 Ganja ☤, Jan 16, 2014
    [quote name="enjoyandlive" post="19347603" timestamp="1389827173"]for some reason my brain keeps wanting to tell me that the pie would be lower because it has less mass lol[/quote]Where did the mass go? Lol besides the kief? You going to destroy matter somehow using a grinder? Haha

11. Perhaps a little bit of science will help make sense of this.

Recall the law of conservation of mass?  It states that mass cannot be created or destroyed.  Thank you Antoine Lavoisier.

Also, mass is an extensive property, meaning its measurement is dependent upon how much particular stuff you have.  Density is an intensive property, meaning its measurement is depending on what's being measured.  Whether you have one feather or 1000 feathers matters not regarding the density of a feather, the density is dependent upon what it is made of. 

12. [quote name="DriftingApart" post="19348731" timestamp="1389837513"]Perhaps a little bit of science will help make sense of this.Recall the law of conservation of mass? It states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. Thank you Antoine Lavoisier.Also, mass is an extensive property, meaning its measurement is dependent upon how much particular stuff you have. Density is an intensive property, meaning its measurement is depending on what's being measured. Whether you have one feather or 1000 feathers matters not regarding the density of a feather, the density is dependent upon what it is made of. [/quote]Bazingasent from underneath my balls

13. If you break it up in your hands/ use scissors you'd lose more than a decently used and 'broken in' grinder.. + You'd lose the smallest amount with a new grinder, so,    .... . ... ... ...... ... ... .... ... .. . .... ..

14. That's not true a grinder grinds it against a compressed piece of metals, obviously it's going too lose more.

15. Some of the kief does fall off the bud but grinding it up creates more of a surface area. 

16. Obviously.