deleting

Discussion in 'General' started by Chajetex, Nov 17, 2010.

1. #1 Chajetex, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    deleting post

2. I find it very funny how while in high school, you think its useless...but once you're out, you wish you tried harder at it

Its not the material. Its the grades. They are teaching you to learn

Nobody ever remembers crap about what they 'learned' in high school

3. #3 Continuum, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    ^Truth.

To add something useful, most of what you're learning in school now is only important to make school easier later on. I slacked off on my math classes when I was in high school because it was easy, and now I'm in college re-learning the same damn thing.

What I've learned is, the shit you learn is useful, just not in the way you think it is. Teachers would do well to tell students this, but they never seem to. At least mine didn't. I used to abhor math until as recently as college, when a very smart friend of mine explained something to me I hadn't considered before: Every single problem in your life is math. Algebra is about solving for variables, and that's what all problems in life are; variables. So when you strain your brain and figure out the core principles, you're exercising the same part of your brain that helps you solve real-world problems, and not just shit about trains and tree-shadows.

As for the other stuff, humanities can be important. Having a wider picture of what the world was, and is, will give you a more informed view of the world, and your opinions will be more valid because of it. English isn't a waste of time either, learning to communicate your thoughts in your chosen language is probably one of the most single most important things you can learn to do. That skill will come in handy no matter what you choose to do.

The shit you're learning now seems pointless because it's a basis for things that actually will matter in the future.